Shougeki Gouraigan Finale + Full Series Discussion "The First and Likely the Last"

Amemiya mentioned on his Twitter that a sequel isn't being planned nor does he even have it in mind. he just hope the DVD/Bluray sells well. in all honesty, I don't want a sequel. I don't want Amemiya anywhere near Shinkawa Yua either. :p

Just got done with episode 13. Overall, I have to put this show along with Garo's third series and the 'Dragon of the Blue Cries' movie in a big box marked "the art design was very nice, but everything else about it was just average." Pretty much the only thing released in 2013 that was connected to Amemiya which I really enjoyed was 'The Tougen Flute', and IIRC he barely had anything to do with it.

The show is really polarised between being a drama (1,9-13) and a comedy (2-8) and the show doesn't really try to connect the two together at all. TBH, the comedy didn't really work for me, and the drama was just too disjointed and filled with plot holes to be satisfying. Even the supporting cast didn't really serve any purpose. Everyone around that table at that last meal had been in previous episodes, but I don't know most of their names and they definitely didn't contribute anything (yes, girl from Garo 3, you ARE in this episode too, but will you ever have a point beyond saying hello to us?). The best the story got was during the love triangle focus in the last few episodes, but even then it didn't really feel properly resolved (so...is Hitomi being possessed by Rin? Is she also somehow Rin disguised? Did Rin just randomly resurrect like Granny did? WTF is going on, show?).

Even the big set piece in the final episode with a humanoid mech vs the dinosaur was disappointing. Yes, it's made with Amemiya's art style, but they move slowly and have less action than Super Sentai manages every week (a comparison not helped by that dinosaur thing really reminding me of Deboss). Continuing in the same way, some of the bits I most enjoyed were the roll call and fight in episode 8, and the bit in the finale when the five title characters turned into ranger suits. Sooo yeah, the best thing the show did was remind me that I could be watching Super Sentai instead :shakefist

D

Dr Kain

Like I said...he hasn't put out any quality **** since Agito.

Uh yeah, except Kiva is one of the best Kamen Rider series out there. I'd say it is probably my 6th favorite show. It has excellent character growth, an amazing set of villains, phenomenal designs and themes, and was unique with the time switching aspect.

No Kiva was one of the worst Rider shows in recent memory. It was an absolute turd.

Character growth: utterly absent barring Wataru going from aspey to somewhat adjusted individiual. But other than that the rest of the character "growth", Kengo going from rocker to hardass that can beat up Nago or Mio going from hating Taiga to suddenly giving her life for him never made any sense and were abrupt changes than seamless transitions.

Phenomenal designs: Multiple instances of recycled monster suits and also of toy designs that couldn't work for the live action or CGI medium.

Themes: its theme of existence between monsters and humans never made sense given the formers intent on using humans as a food supply and the fangires desire to genocide other species. The separation between the 86 and present day generations and how one lead to the latter was never handled well.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Themes: its theme of existence between monsters and humans never made sense given the formers intent on using humans as a food supply and the fangires desire to genocide other species. The separation between the 86 and present day generations and how one lead to the latter was never handled well.

Yeah, sorry, you obviously are not a fan of movie monsters like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc. That alone made Kiva better than most of its predecessors.

I don't actually mind Inoue's writing (enjoyed Jetman and Kiva), to be honest. I think the only I can't stand is his obsession for writing love triangles in most of his works. Ryu/Kaori/Gai was fine, while Wataru/Mio/Taiga... well, I couldn't stand Mio as much as I couldn't stand Rin. she's even worst than Mio because she indirectly implied she was toying Gou, so she totally deserved that ***** slap from Hitomi.

now if you ask me whose writing I can't stand the most, it's gotta be Kobayashi (I do love her work in Timeranger though). I seriously don't understand what was so great about Shinkenger. then, we had Gobusters and now she's going to write for Tokkyuger. minus the love triangle, I'd rather see Inoue writing a full Sentai series again.

Just an Internet User Passing Thru
now if you ask me whose writing I can't stand the most, it's gotta be Kobayashi (I do love her work in Timeranger though). I seriously don't understand what was so great about Shinkenger. then, we had Gobusters and now she's going to write for Tokkyuger. minus the love triangle, I'd rather see Inoue writing a full Sentai series again.

I'm guessing you're dreading Den-O then..........DESPITE not seeing you list it in that lil paragraph there

I've never cared about Den-O to even have the thought of checking it out. :laugh:

D

Dr Kain

When Shinkenger first aired, I did not care for it. I rewatched it this past sumer, and getting to see it in the span of a few days rather than once a week definitely improved it on a massive level. It still is far from being one of the best Sentai series ever, but it is a great one to introduce people to Sentai. The ranger cast is solid (Chiaki is my favorite), it does some neat little story elements in there, and Juuzo and Daiyo are awesome. However, the story takes a serious halt when the Akumaro appears and Dokoku does pretty much nothing the entire series outside of whining like a *****. Oh, and I really hated the mecha pile on in the show and Genta gets on my nerves at times.

I found Go-Buster to be boring beyond comprehension with annoying side kicks.

As for Den-O, I am going to rewatch it soon, but I just did not get the love for that show either.

On the other hand, I love her work with TimeRanger, Ryuki, OOO, and the live action Sailor Moon show.