Sentai Sixth Ranger Color and Personality

They don't like giving this kind of personality to a female character as it is not considered feminine and appealing enough. This is why Yuuri, Sakura and Miu were given romantic interest in the Red - to make them seem more vulnerable and feminine. Even when we get aloof male Rangers they tend to get played for laughs and/or given some kind of a weakness for kids or animals or something so that they seem more "likeable"

this isn't at all surprising as it's commonly present in manga, anime and J-dramas as well. most aloof characters would inevitably have love interests or weaknesses, but that doesn't make them "vulnerable" or "feminine" whatsoever. it just makes them more human and easily relatable to.
 
this isn't at all surprising as it's commonly present in manga, anime and J-dramas as well. most aloof characters would inevitably have love interests or weaknesses, but that doesn't make them "vulnerable" or "feminine" whatsoever. it just makes them more human and easily relatable to.

I strongly disagree that romance storylines "make characters more human", but that's probably a post for another day. It is more common in female characters with that kind of personality, because a lot of writers think that she needs to show vulnerability or audiences will dislike her and think her "manly" or "bitchy". This is probably why we do not see so many aloof female characters in Sentai at all - it just isn't considered appealing or attractive in a woman. The #1 thing expected of female characters in these shows is to be cute, feminine and marketable, which is why there's a limited range of personality types for them. Similarly, you wouldn't see a character that looked like Ian with the personality of a Nossan; nor would they ever cast Kamen Rider Bravo as a young, hot guy. The cast is being sold, just as much as any other element of the shows.
 
Ummm... The humanizing element works whether the character is female or male, and nothing to do with being marketable or feminine or cute. That's why the most hated Riders are the ones who are generally douches.

They're simply not good role models for kids.
 
Ummm... The humanizing element works whether the character is female or male, and nothing to do with being marketable or feminine or cute. That's why the most hated Riders are the ones who are generally douches.

They're simply not good role models for kids.

I'm just saying it would take enough of a break from the norm for us to get any female Sixth (because of sales concerns) let alone for her to have a personality that Toei doesn't like to give female characters. Or in fact any Rangers any more. When did we last get a genuinely aloof Ranger who was not played for laughs? Maybe around Geki-time if you count Rio (and reportedly he was not well liked by Japanese fans.) We're probably not gonna see another Burai or Shirogane any time soon because for whatever reason Toei seems to think audiences won't go for it
 
I personally don't like the idea of an aloof Sixth Ranger. The most annoying parts of recent shows were when sixth rangers were being unnecessarily confrontational for some stupid reason (Deka, Magi, Geki, Bouken, Go-on, Gosei, Kyoryu)

Maybe Toei is avoiding it for a good, and not "for whatever" reason.
 
I personally don't like the idea of an aloof Sixth Ranger. The most annoying parts of recent shows were when sixth rangers were being unnecessarily confrontational for some stupid reason (Deka, Magi, Geki, Bouken, Go-on, Gosei, Kyoryu)

Maybe Toei is avoiding it for a good, and not "for whatever" reason.

The ultimate reason is always money, but in turn, what makes them decide that such a character won't make money?
 
This is probably why we do not see so many aloof female characters in Sentai at all - it just isn't considered appealing or attractive in a woman.

Timepink was a pretty aloof female ranger. I guess that Timeranger's relative failure (toy sales mostly) didn't make that trend stay. In Rider, you have the Mari who is aloof in Faiz. Same with Sumiko in Agito. And while I know you hate her, Sakura/Boukenpink had her aloof moments as well.
 
I was honestly against this concept in Kyoryuger and hoped that it wouldn't continue into Tokkyuger, which I'm glad it didn't. :sweat: too many characters would be chaotic on the writing part IMO.
If anything, Kyoryuger showed how well it could work with lesser numbers though. Maybe not all 10, but 7-8 should work.

To that end, if they have some kind of world traveling team, they could just say other members aren't around.

Timepink was a pretty aloof female ranger. I guess that Timeranger's relative failure (toy sales mostly) didn't make that trend stay. In Rider, you have the Mari who is aloof in Faiz. Same with Sumiko in Agito. And while I know you hate her, Sakura/Boukenpink had her aloof moments as well.
I think looking to female Riders is your best bet if you want to make a point. I can't say either of those characters were really aloof either, especially Ozawa, who was more quirky than anything.
 
Timepink was a pretty aloof female ranger. I guess that Timeranger's relative failure (toy sales mostly) didn't make that trend stay. In Rider, you have the Mari who is aloof in Faiz. Same with Sumiko in Agito. And while I know you hate her, Sakura/Boukenpink had her aloof moments as well.

Well, Faiz and Agito are both more than ten years old; we haven't seen anyone like them in a more recent show. (I could make a comparison to Kaito and Accel both being very popular in recent years, but that would be OT for this thread.) And what's something Yuuri and Sakura have in common? In both cases the show made them fall for the Red and become vulnerable over him.

I find it quite interesting that the last two shows have made the idea of the aloof Sixth something to be openly mocked. It might just be a part of the set of character types they've been using for Sentai over the last couple of shows (Greens are young and serious, Blues are older and their age is played for laughs, sympathetic villainess, and so on) that they'll drop in another few years' time, but there could be more behind that
 
I strongly disagree. I believe every Sentai team should have at least five Rangers as the core team and at least one Sixth.

What difference does it make, so long as you have capable writers? You've said this before, yet never really given a reason why it must be 5+ .

In Rider, you have the Mari who is aloof in Faiz.

When was Mari ever aloof?

And what's something Yuuri and Sakura have in common? In both cases the show made them fall for the Red and become vulnerable over him.

I still found Sakura more likeable than Yuuri without the "Red pining". Though I suppose I ought to watch Timeranger again and refresh my memory of Yuuri.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top