KR Shin, ZO and J Showa or Heisei ?

There's a Kuuga art book that features the sketches, I think mattcomics has it.

If I was going to group the Rider production periods based on creative development instead of pure date, there is how I'd do it...

Golden Age: Original Kamen Rider thru ZX. Effects can be rough in this period, much as art in Golden Age comics can be crude, but this was also a period of wild creativity and originality. Characters and stories from this era are consistently repeated and revisited in later eras of Kamen Rider. Villains are often whimsical but very deadly, themes are very influenced by Western superhero material.

Silver Age: Kamen Rider Black through Kamen Rider Kuuga. This era is distinguished by a consistent approach to Kamen Rider as a "single hero" show, with an exception for Black RX's nostalgic team-up. The theme of this era is trying to find ways to take Kamen Rider in new directions and approach the concept more realistically (which Black, Shin, and Kuuga all do in different ways). In this era Kamen Rider loses most of its Amecomi-like elements and begins refining a purely Japanese approach to superhero storytelling. Probably the most important concept for Rider introduced here is form changing, something toyed with in Super-1 but not truly embraced until Black RX.

Bronze Age: Agito through Decade, along with the films The First and The Next. This era is distinguished by approaching Kamen Rider consistently as a multi-protagonist show. Even when not all Riders are protagonists, as in Ryuki, or not all protagonists are Riders, as in Hibiki, series consistently follow at least two main characters. This approach also deeply colors the approach to the material used in the First and the Next films. Power levels for Riders increase dramatically in this era, but there's also some wild creativity that happens in this era that is only paralleled by the creativity of the Golden Age. Just as a lot of comics fans date the ending of that medium's Bronze Age with Crisis of Infinite Earths, I feel Decade brings all of the themes of this era of Rider to their logical end (or, if you want to be more negative about it, their shark-jumping point).

W is still in production so I feel like it's too early to analyze it in any sort of depth. That said, it's very different in feel from what came before and in some respects actively rejects the Bronze Age approach to Kamen Rider. I feel like we're about to enter a decade of shows that will be similarly different.
 
All the pre-Kuuga & Kuuga production artwork is collected in the "Art of Kuuga" book from the Kuuga Collection Box (say that 3 times fast.) I've been meaning to scan the heck out of that when I get the time.
 
Yeah, I've been lucky enough to snag a Kuuga Collection Box. The book that Lynxara mentions that I have starts with various pieces of concept art from Ishinomori from over the course of the years leading to the development of Kuuga. I'd imagine this barely even scratches the surface of everything he was working on and pitching.

The art that is featured kind of runs the gamut from magic based to creature based and tech based Riders. There's even an Ishinomori sketch of a very adorable female Rider who uses a rapier and her own eyes are visible through the bug eyes on her mask. Ishinomori seems to draw her with a bit of a Sailor Moon-esque look. I think her cape and rapier are elements that made their way into Femme.

From there it gets into an early part of the production faze where it seems like the idea of either multiple Rider or one with many alt. forms was being pitched. Among these are "Ninja Rider" "Gun Rider", "Sword Rider", and "Dragon Rider".
 
...I wan that book. D:
All the pre-Kuuga & Kuuga production artwork is collected in the "Art of Kuuga" book from the Kuuga Collection Box (say that 3 times fast.) I've been meaning to scan the heck out of that when I get the time.
I would love you forever and quite possibly steal a locket of Hiroshi Fujioka's hair, sell it to the Sonozakis and create a Fujioka Memory to create an eternal Hiroshi Fujioka/letyoubecomehim/somethingjustasneat if you were to do that.
 
...I wan that book. D: I would love you forever and quite possibly steal a locket of Hiroshi Fujioka's hair, sell it to the Sonozakis and create a Fujioka Memory to create an eternal Hiroshi Fujioka/letyoubecomehim/somethingjustasneat if you were to do that.

No memory can possibly hold Fujioka's awesomeness without exploding to disitegration. Also, Fujioka himself IS eternal.
 
There's a Kuuga art book that features the sketches, I think mattcomics has it.

If I was going to group the Rider production periods based on creative development instead of pure date, there is how I'd do it...

Golden Age: Original Kamen Rider thru ZX. Effects can be rough in this period, much as art in Golden Age comics can be crude, but this was also a period of wild creativity and originality. Characters and stories from this era are consistently repeated and revisited in later eras of Kamen Rider. Villains are often whimsical but very deadly, themes are very influenced by Western superhero material.

Silver Age: Kamen Rider Black through Kamen Rider Kuuga. This era is distinguished by a consistent approach to Kamen Rider as a "single hero" show, with an exception for Black RX's nostalgic team-up. The theme of this era is trying to find ways to take Kamen Rider in new directions and approach the concept more realistically (which Black, Shin, and Kuuga all do in different ways). In this era Kamen Rider loses most of its Amecomi-like elements and begins refining a purely Japanese approach to superhero storytelling. Probably the most important concept for Rider introduced here is form changing, something toyed with in Super-1 but not truly embraced until Black RX.

Bronze Age: Agito through Decade, along with the films The First and The Next. This era is distinguished by approaching Kamen Rider consistently as a multi-protagonist show. Even when not all Riders are protagonists, as in Ryuki, or not all protagonists are Riders, as in Hibiki, series consistently follow at least two main characters. This approach also deeply colors the approach to the material used in the First and the Next films. Power levels for Riders increase dramatically in this era, but there's also some wild creativity that happens in this era that is only paralleled by the creativity of the Golden Age. Just as a lot of comics fans date the ending of that medium's Bronze Age with Crisis of Infinite Earths, I feel Decade brings all of the themes of this era of Rider to their logical end (or, if you want to be more negative about it, their shark-jumping point).

W is still in production so I feel like it's too early to analyze it in any sort of depth. That said, it's very different in feel from what came before and in some respects actively rejects the Bronze Age approach to Kamen Rider. I feel like we're about to enter a decade of shows that will be similarly different.

Oh man, I hope W doesn't lead to the KR equivalent to the "90's" of the comic book industry. I doubt it considering W's direction so far, but still.
 
Its quite easy, if we go by designs and story-types

Ichigo to ZX - First generation
Black to J - Second generation
Kuuga to Double - Third generation
 
Oh man, I hope W doesn't lead to the KR equivalent to the "90's" of the comic book industry. I doubt it considering W's direction so far, but still.

Well as long as W doesn't get an alt. form loaded down with pack belts or get turned into a smurf that shoots lightening bolts I think we're good.

Though maybe Japan will decide to give all the DVD's chromium covers!
 
I used to always refer to them simply as OldGen (1-J), NewGen (Kuuga-W). But I suppose they could be split up further than that, accounting for breaks in-between, as well as the similarity in style of Kuuga & Agito, in contrast with Ryuki onwards.

So it could be split as:

1st era: 1 - Stronger
2nd era: Skyrider - Super-1 + ZX
3rd era: Black & Black RX
4th era: Shin - J

5th era: Kuuga - W
or
early 5th: Kuuga & Agito
later 5th: Ryuki - W
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top