Kamen Rider Kuuga Fansub Project

I wasn't trying to insult you, I genuinely did not know what you were talking about. I agree they should fix that. I understand them because I looked it up, but I guess it would alienate some people

See that's my point. You shouldn't have to look up words when watching a fansub. The job of a GOOD fansub group is to make it so anyone watching can understand what is going on. They shouldn't leave words untranslated and expect people to "learn some Japanese" or "Go look it up". That is just disgusting on the part of T-N and the other groups that do it.
 
We will be cropping off the borders and making it a wide screen release

Very good. =D

I was wondering however, since while i am waiting for our translator to finish his script, I have been experimenting a little with encoding. And i think i can make an MKV encode with soft subs which would obviously have the option of turning of the grongi fansubs. However i personally think that MKV generates more problems then it solves. And would like to hear your opinions on whether going for 2 releases in avi format (one with grongi subs the other without it) or going for an MKV release is preferred.

To be honest, unless the RAW you're working with is so big you'll need to re-encode it then you could easily just mux the RAW and the subs into an MKV without needing to encode so it wouldn't be that much more work for you to do an MKV as well as AVIs, as long as the RAWs you're using are suitable.

The extra work would mostly be in distributing an extra file, since muxing each stream into a single MKV takes very little time...
 
When it comes to honorifics like "san", "sama", "kun", "oni-san", etc. I prefer those to be left untranslated, or at least to have a translator's note out at the top of the screen explaining the meaning. There are some terms in languages that just don't translate well into other languages. Take Flashman ep. 22. Translating "Phoenix-san" as "Mr. Phoenix" would look silly. The same with "Mr. Customer" or "Big Brother/Sister". No one refers to their siblings as "Big brother/sister" in Western societies, at least not in those words. Now when it comes to stuff like "Kameo" or "Kuma" in Den-O, for example, that I agree is inappropriate.

I'd love to see a Sinhalese-subbed version of a toku though. That language I find has more equivalents to the Japanese than English. (At least I believe so with my limited knowledge.)
 
I ran into the problem of not being able to get an MKV to display 2 subtitle streams at the same time. So I was talking about encoding the normal subtitles as hard subs and just add the grongi subtitle script as soft subs, so you can turn off only the grongi. I haven't been able to get around this yet.
 
I ran into the problem of not being able to get an MKV to display 2 subtitle streams at the same time. So I was talking about encoding the normal subtitles as hard subs and just add the grongi subtitle script as soft subs, so you can turn off only the grongi. I haven't been able to get around this yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware the options are:
a. 2 softsubs released as .ass, simplest option, just create the .ass as you would with the Grongi subs, then create another version with those deleted.

b. 2 softsubs muxxed into the .mkv, people choose between the two as they wish akin to dual audio.

c. Hardsub everything but the Grongi subs, create Grongi subs .ass.

d. Create 2 hardsubbed versions, one with, one without Grongi subs.

I'd say a. or b. are the only suitable options, but I leave that up to you.

Black Fang said:
When it comes to honorifics like "san", "sama", "kun", "oni-san", etc. I prefer those to be left untranslated

This is all the use of honorifics amounts to, preference. Personally I prefer them to be dropped/translated/replaced with a suitable synonym. But it's really up to the fansubbers.
 
This is all the use of honorifics amounts to, preference. Personally I prefer them to be dropped/translated/replaced with a suitable synonym. But it's really up to the fansubbers.

That's the thing. Sometimes there aren't any suitable synonyms, and the translations that do exist sometimes end up awkward in the English.
 
When it comes to honorifics like "san", "sama", "kun", "oni-san", etc. I prefer those to be left untranslated, or at least to have a translator's note out at the top of the screen explaining the meaning. There are some terms in languages that just don't translate well into other languages. Take Flashman ep. 22. Translating "Phoenix-san" as "Mr. Phoenix" would look silly. The same with "Mr. Customer" or "Big Brother/Sister". No one refers to their siblings as "Big brother/sister" in Western societies, at least not in those words. Now when it comes to stuff like "Kameo" or "Kuma" in Den-O, for example, that I agree is inappropriate.

I'd love to see a Sinhalese-subbed version of a toku though. That language I find has more equivalents to the Japanese than English. (At least I believe so with my limited knowledge.)

Yes, those honorifics for me give people a taste of how the Japanese talk to each other which is OK, if you're going to ignore the fact that you're reading it in English that is.
 
I ran into the problem of not being able to get an MKV to display 2 subtitle streams at the same time. So I was talking about encoding the normal subtitles as hard subs and just add the grongi subtitle script as soft subs, so you can turn off only the grongi. I haven't been able to get around this yet.

Like armageddon suggested, just make 2 ass files each with a complete set of subs, one with the grongi and one minus the grongi. That way it only needs to display 1 subtitle stream anyway.

That's the thing. Sometimes there aren't any suitable synonyms, and the translations that do exist sometimes end up awkward in the English.

*Remembers Tenchi Muyo subs that tried to localise "call me Washu-chan" as "call me little Washu"*

...

*cries*
 
When it comes to honorifics like "san", "sama", "kun", "oni-san", etc. I prefer those to be left untranslated, or at least to have a translator's note out at the top. Translating "Phoenix-san" as "Mr. Phoenix" would look silly.

That's why it's not always appropriate to translate -san directly as Mister, Miss, Ms, etc. Sometimes honorifics should simply be dropped to preserve the natural flow of spoken English, sometimes you should use a non-standard translation that fits the context. Making decisions like this on a case-by-case basis is what makes translation an art instead of a science.
 
The same with "Mr. Customer" or "Big Brother/Sister". No one refers to their siblings as "Big brother/sister" in Western societies, at least not in those words.
That's why you can translate it to "you" or the person's name. like Lynxara said it all depends on the situation.

That's the thing. Sometimes there aren't any suitable synonyms, and the translations that do exist sometimes end up awkward in the English.
And leaving a lot of japanese in makes the translations less awkward?

Pretty much the only honorifics that are hard to translate are -san when it's just about respect and -kun/-chan. Most of the others have a perfectly useable translation depending on where it's used.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top