Kamen Rider DVD/Blu-Ray Questions

And you know, the only reason that collection seems so incredible is becuase of how ridiculous the pricing is. It doesn't matter if they really have to cost that much, they do and that's why they're valued. :laugh: My god.
 
Believe me, for the most part I would have no problem with a region free player, but I think about how much I like the flexibility of the disc to work anywhere if I'm traveling. Region specific discs would come with more complications. I was just remembering how much I wanted to find sets for the Japanese dubs of Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers prime. Laser discs, Region 2 discs, no word on Transformers prime dub release. I wish for Japanese blu rays for Prime!

No sooner did I say there was no mention of Japanese dub Transformers prime release, then my very next search show the DVDs. So far no blu ray, which does me no good!
 
Last edited:
Collectors could get nearly 2 dozen good quality figures for that much cold hard cash.

Not everyone who's into tokusatsu is a toy collector. Some people just like the shows and are willing to pay premium prices to watch them with the highest video quality possible.

And with the prevalence of these things online in HD quality...it just doesn't make financial sense.

Even a really good encode won't look as good on a large-screen TV as the original disc playing in a good-quality DVD or Blu-Ray player.
 
Well, for most stuff, yes. But some things where the DVD is ****, an encoder who knows what they're doing can get an encode that looks better. (Hello, Timeranger)
 
Not everyone who's into tokusatsu is a toy collector. Some people just like the shows and are willing to pay premium prices to watch them with the highest video quality possible.

That would be me. I'd get a Blu-Ray of toku long before getting a toy. I have a few DVDs and Blu-Rays and not even a Power Ranger figure. Lynxara's right, not every fan's the same.
 
Believe it or not there are cheaper alternatives from Hong Kong and Taiwan, and they're not even bootlegs!! They're legit Taiwan and Hong Kong release DVDs. The cool thing is, some of them let you change the language from Mandarin or Cantonese to Japanese. The only problem is they don't have English subtitles.

Oh kind sir, would you please tell someone who is but a simple peasant how he may spot these?

Ah hah. So the issue is on the demand side of things. There's no demand for DVDs because of rentals...yeah, the US doesn't have anything like that. We've got Netflix.

Even as a collector's item though, I find it hard to believe that it's worth that much to ANYONE to pay 10s of thousands of yen to get a set of all 12 DVDs for a 50-episode series. Collectors could get nearly 2 dozen good quality figures for that much cold hard cash. And with the prevalence of these things online in HD quality...it just doesn't make financial sense.

It's called rental pricing. Rental places have to pay money like that when they want to buy a copy of a movie to rent out to customers. As has been stated, Japan just never moved out of this. They also have online streaming services, but I guess they're not as popular.
 
That would be me. I'd get a Blu-Ray of toku long before getting a toy. I have a few DVDs and Blu-Rays and not even a Power Ranger figure. Lynxara's right, not every fan's the same.

I didn't mean to imply they are. Figures and statues are just the usual "go to" collectible and I was looking for something "collectible" to compare to the DVD prices. I don't have an intimate knowledge of the price of posters, t-shirts, or other swag, but I assume the price differential is equally ludicrous.

As I said before, isn't simply having ACCESS to your favorite show the single most basic expression of fandom? It shouldn't be considered a collectible in my mind. Because without being able to VIEW the show...how would you become a fan in the first place?

Obviously the answer to that is rentals. But I can't exactly rent KR at Blockbuster can I?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top