Kamen Rider DVD/Blu-Ray Questions

@toranoko, not sure if watching a Japanese dub of a foreign show would help learning Japanese other than it being a mere curiosity. I could imagine if people went off this kind of learning, we'd have botched versions of Japanese spoken where the lip movements are more in common with the English than the actual Japanese, looking awkward as heck. Firefly comes in mind.

Not mocking you, but while I love the idea, it becomes problematic. Just use it as a reference of pronunciation, but watch some normal J-dramas and the news if you got access to it.

I honestly have no idea what you trying to say about lip movements or anything. All I got out of your post was that you were telling me my way of practicing Japanese is stupid. :sly:

I hope you based your entire post on the thought that I'm trying to teach myself Japanese by sitting around watching things in Japanese. But I'll correct you now: I'm not 5 nor a genius, I can't pick up a language like that. I take lessons, but that's the only time I'm around anyone speaking Japanese.

So I watch Japanese dubs of movies/tv shows to help with immersion. For practice. So sue me if actively listening to native Japanese speakers does help me. I just listen to dubs because they are easier to understand. Pretty sure it has to do with having to be more concise for the English>Japanese translation, which works perfectly for my level of Japanese. Yes, jdramas or the news or (even better) variety shows would be best for learning how Japanese people actually speak, and I watch those occasionally too.

But yeah, back to what I said in my original post. My excuse for watching the dub of Dragon Knight is I'm practicing my Japanese. And not the fact that Matt Mullins is super hot. :drool: Oh, and Satoshi Matsuda's voice... :drool: :drool:
 
Google
youtube
wiki

you are on the net and you ask how? You don't need subs to sample if you might like it or not.

What? Nonsense. You need to get a feel for a show before committing $150 to 50 episodes. Not just reading other people's opinions of it. Are you suggesting watching raws or something? That's hardly sufficient.
 
That's hardly sufficient.

People have been doing it for years. The newer group of people into toku have it pretty easy. You have HQ raws, youtube, and other ways to check stuff out. Back in the early days of all this we had 40x40 res real Media files, episode description sites and not much else.
 
I honestly have no idea what you trying to say about lip movements or anything. All I got out of your post was that you were telling me my way of practicing Japanese is stupid. :sly:

Its called watching a Japanese dub of a live action show will not help with any immersion.

Immersion is when you commit to reading, seeing others speak, writing and perhaps speaking in the new language yourself. You cannot realistically do such a thing unless you only restrict yourself to those sources, just like if you were a native in that language.

Its a good thing to watch those videos, but don't put all your eggs into that basket because subconsciously, you might absorb the wrong methods.

Take this from someone who is trying to learn Spanish. Full-on immersion, at least on the computer and other devices you own , is a great thing.

Take heed to also use Anki-Droid/Anki alongside any other lingual programs.



I hope you based your entire post on the thought that I'm trying to teach myself Japanese by sitting around watching things in Japanese. But I'll correct you now: I'm not 5 nor a genius, I can't pick up a language like that. I take lessons, but that's the only time I'm around anyone speaking Japanese.
You missed the point. I'm not against that form of learning in any form , but to emphasize Japanese dubs of foreign as not much of a great strategy.

It'd be like me watching Free Willy in Spanish and deriving my knowledge of the language despite not having the correct lip movements and everything else.


So I watch Japanese dubs of movies/tv shows to help with immersion. For practice. So sue me if actively listening to native Japanese speakers does help me.

As you said yourself, you are watching Japanese dubs ,which don't help. I'm perfectly fine with native speakers as that's my method as well.

I just listen to dubs because they are easier to understand. Pretty sure it has to do with having to be more concise for the English>Japanese translation, which works perfectly for my level of Japanese. Yes, jdramas or the news or (even better) variety shows would be best for learning how Japanese people actually speak, and I watch those occasionally too.
I understand that, just make sure you only use it for the basics and not a crutch. ;)

I haven't been watching many Univision things, but other than that, yeah.

But yeah, back to what I said in my original post. My excuse for watching the dub of Dragon Knight is I'm practicing my Japanese. And not the fact that Matt Mullins is super hot. :drool: Oh, and Satoshi Matsuda's voice... :drool: :drool:
ROFL. That's super funny. Is it better in Japanese than English?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top