Kamen Rider Drive Ep 1- "Why has my time stopped?"

Well, the next episode preview says it will do something about that. My problem is more the stop motion effects, heh.

Fair enough, but the first episode really should at least partially explain who the bad guys are and why we should care. I don't think they even say what they're called, much less anything else about them. Even Wizard remembered to do that. Also, what stop motion are you talking about? Or do you mean the show-motion around the civilians when the monsters show up?
 
My main complaint for this show is that the first episode is way too toyetic in advertising the belt and all its bells and whistles. In comparison how Gaim showed off all the toys in the first episode was way more restrained and felt organic. Here the scenes with the shift cars felt imo really out of place and were like the mandatory toy advertising scenes and took me out of the story.
Agreed. Luckily, I can't see the budget for all of this lasting very long. I really am disappointed at how hamfisted the car aspect is being handled though - even ToQGer isn't this bad, which is... weird because Sentai is usually the more blatant and obnoxious one about things. :laugh:

The rest of the show felt like it's composed of Sanjoisms. The special unit being analogous to Shotaro's informants and the Fuuto Police in W and of course the story starting in medias res.
I don't know, all of W's side characters were enjoyable. These guys really just had enough time to leave really shallow first impressions - and maybe it's because there wasn't time that I feel that way, but it seems like they're just trying to grasp what W did here rather than do something good with them so far. Can't see myself liking any of them so far, but it could be that they just didn't give them any time to shine here. I'm holding out how, but so far I'm not impressed.

But I think one thing this show has over Gaim is that the primary female protagonist is doing way more than most primary female characters. If they keep it up, I think she'll probably be one of the best female characters in the pre or post Decade Rider Shows.
I don't follow this logic at all. Of the post-Decade series alone, Akiko, Hina, and Mai were all fairly relevant in their shows from start to finish, yet they seem to get little to no credit for not "doing" things, which makes no sense. No, they didn't "do" a lot (though at times they did do plenty), but the girl here hasn't actually "done" much of anything particularly impressive or of note either except be a soulless annoyance with her little book and shoot a gun. Is that all it takes? Is just being in the action scenes more important than being a driving character in the story like the three I listed were? That strikes me as incredibly shallow - which basically sums up how Drive feels so far in a nutshell, really.

In any case, let's not forget that Rinko was part of a raid or something in Wizard's premiere, and look how that wound up.

Already a better premiere than Gaim. The female character is also far better than what's her name from Gaim. Funny how we get to see civilians get killed which we never saw in Gaim.
Technically, we did through the Inves, and I think the wall of missing person posters at the end of the series has a much greater impact than a death scene like this, personally. Especially, considering the tone of the show thus far, that guy probably isn't even dead anyway.

I think I just realized the big problem with this episode. We know absolutely NOTHING about practically everything.
Fixed to be a more accurate post, I think.
 
I don't know, all of W's side characters were enjoyable. These guys really just had enough time to leave really shallow first impressions - and maybe it's because there wasn't time that I feel that way, but it seems like they're just trying to grasp what W did here rather than do something good with them so far.

They are undoubtedly trying to do that. Nakashim, Sanjo and Tasaki are all W alumni. I'm just hoping Sanjo or Nakashima give more substance to these characters. I could definitely see them going the way of many Sanjo characters and become catchphrase spouting caricatures or whatever the hell he did to Yuki in Fourze.

I don't follow this logic at all. Of the post-Decade series alone, Akiko, Hina, and Mai were all fairly relevant in their shows from start to finish, yet they seem to get little to no credit for not "doing" things, which makes no sense. No, they didn't "do" a lot (though at times they did do plenty), but the girl here hasn't actually "done" much of anything particularly impressive or of note either except be a soulless annoyance with her little book and shoot a gun. Is that all it takes? Is just being in the action scenes more important than being a driving character in the story like the three I listed were? That strikes me as incredibly shallow - which basically sums up how Drive feels so far in a nutshell, really.

I don't have an opinion of Akiko, but it was a disservice to both Gaim and OOO that Hina and Mai were not involved in the action scenes (which ultimately in toku scenes are what decides the plot). Removing the female characters from being involved imo essentially lessens their role. Not a major problem with OOO, but it's more glaring in Gaim since the entire final arc was about Mai and the three mains fighting over her. Mai was essentially relegated to a plot device and object for the male characters to fight over and ultimately she had no agency of her own. Its more galling since they were handing out Drivers like candy in Gaim that even Peko got one in the canonical movie.

In any case, let's not forget that Rinko was part of a raid or something in Wizard's premiere, and look how that wound up.

I am trying to be optimistic here. She could very well become another Rinko or another Ami. But I think having her being involved and knowing more than the male protagonist and not cluless like Rinko is a good sign. But then again I still remember Sanjo's attempt at female characters in Fourze.
 
Last edited:
They are undoubtedly trying to do that. Nakashim, Sanjo and Tasaki are all W alumni. I'm just hoping Sanjo or Nakashima give more substance to these characters.

Um, just to let ya know, Nakashima Kazuki isn't joined with Drive. Hasegawa Keiichi is the other writer.
 
Well, this sure is interesting. We've seen Riders with a super speed form, we've seen Riders with a super speed ability, but this is definitely the first one that eats and breathes super speed. Although... Since everyone else is slowing down because of the monsters, does this mean Drive is actually just moving at regular speed? :laugh:

Well, either way, it was okay first episode. Didn't completely grab me, but maybe I'll see more of the charm by the next episode.

I still think it's weird having a giant tire strapped to the chest. In fact, with the tire changing, it looks like it might be a little hard or a little awkward to move around in that suit. But the different abilities aren't too bad. Max Flare is my favorite, of course. :) And I love the naming scheme for each of the different tire changes. Funky Spikes, Midnight Shadow... There is definitely some flavor happening here, know what I'm saying?

Also, I kind of like Drive's finisher attack. Feels like someone at Toei was just playing around with a toy car and came up with that. :D
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top