June Tokusatsu of the Month - B-Fighter Kabuto

A C-Fighter would've been neat. But nope, we just had to get Kabutack instead. :P

I admit, I partially like to believe Kamen Rider Kabuto as a spiritual third installment.
 
Well, started watching.........and i don't like it.

It's nice to see connections to B-Fighter (With Takiya and Guru) but i felt that the so called lead character, Kouhei, kinda blows and pretty much fell ass-backwards into becoming a B-Fighter and was instantly accepted by the other two. Maybe i'm too used to the "Random guy get awesome henshin power, but has to earn the respect of the others who are professionals who where selected specifically for that job" plot device.

Plus his voice irritates me. :sweat:
 
I think we'll eventually see a few episodes like that, the first few episodes didn't do too much to go into the characters of Kengo and Ran.

But, yeah, that voice. Lord. You get used to it after a while, but if you're like me and haven't seen the show in years, yeah...it's such a shock to go back into it.
 
Kohei doesn't really screech all that much. Most of it's during battles, the rest of time he speaks with a relatively normal voice. I don't get where all the hate for him comes from, meanwhile hardly anyone bats an eyelid at Nogami Ryotaro's constant fake, high-pitched wimpy voice.
 
I personally loved Ryoutarou. I didn't find him irritating at all. Plus, he was an interesting character imo that grew up well. Kouhei on the other hand, I find him rather unlikable. It's mostly just the way he acts and talks that gets me, and that he tends to have a much bigger role than I think he deserves. And frankly, I'm just not interested in seeing Kouhei get lots of spotlight. I can perfectly understand if other people like him. But for me, I have trouble enjoying him, like I do with Tsukasa from Decade.


Forever Knight, what would be your choice of episodes? Just curious. :)
 
Kohei doesn't really screech all that much. Most of it's during battles, the rest of time he speaks with a relatively normal voice. I don't get where all the hate for him comes from, meanwhile hardly anyone bats an eyelid at Nogami Ryotaro's constant fake, high-pitched wimpy voice.
Probably because an introverted tone of voice is easily ignored when something like Kouhei definitely takes getting used to. There's such a jarring disconnect between that voice and the suit.
 
I personally loved Ryoutarou. I didn't find him irritating at all. Plus, he was an interesting character imo that grew up well.

He's a good character on paper, and he did have some good scenes, but portrayed on screen he just came off as too wimpy and pathetic. The fake voice Sato used (I still don't know why he couldn't use his normal voice. It's not as though Ryotaro's character type necessitated such an emasculated voice) made it worse.

Kouhei on the other hand, I find him rather unlikable. It's mostly just the way he acts and talks that gets me, and that he tends to have a much bigger role than I think he deserves. And frankly, I'm just not interested in seeing Kouhei get lots of spotlight. I can perfectly understand if other people like him. But for me, I have trouble enjoying him, like I do with Tsukasa from Decade.

Does Kohei really get that much spotlight? Granted, Kengo and Ran didn't stand out as much as Daisaku and Mai, and the other four heroes just appeared on occasion, but I didn't see Kohei stealing the show all that much. Maybe the fact that the show is named after him implies that. (Why is it named after him?)

Probably because an introverted tone of voice is easily ignored when something like Kouhei definitely takes getting used to. There's such a jarring disconnect between that voice and the suit.

You don't see a disconnect between Ryotaro's voice and the Plat and Liner Form suits?
 
(Why is it named after him?)
Probably to give the audience someone more visible to identify as a main character. Watching the episodes, I figure that "Chou Juukou B-Fighter" probably could have served as a decent title and I would have much preferred that.


You don't see a disconnect between Ryotaro's voice and the Plat and Liner Form suits?
Considering the mannerisms in those suits? Not really. Ryoutarou is a pretty lousy fighter and it shows when he's transformed. Kouhei on the other hand is this...really impulsive teenager out of suit but often acts calm and collected in suit and that voice just doesn't go with the demeanor.

--
Episode comments/reviews!

You know something I find weird? Why is it that some series allow their heroes to be damn near indestructible in the first episode and then an episode or two later, they start getting their ass kicked? Was Mother so out of practice making monsters that she just came up with any crummy thing she could muster at the time? :P

So! Episode three was a rather interesting one as it gives us more insight into who Ran is as a person and she is basically...someone who really needs to get her priorities sorted out. I was pretty shocked to see her run off, not help that kid calling for her, and try to salvage her programming. (also, 1999? Does that mean she's been making kickass programs since she was 11?) Of course she eventually learns the error of her way and everyone's happy again. I think seeing someone reprimand her a little tougher than the scowls Kengo and Kouhei gave would have been interesting.

Yui is...in the base, somehow! And everyone's okay with that. Sure. I think this is one of those episodes that lets us see Kouhei as a more realistic teenager. When his sister is in mortal danger, yeah, he freaks out and does whatever he can to protect her, but when he's trying to look cool in front of his partners, he's like any typical teen and wants nothing to do with her. (until she brings cake along, but of course that's for Kengo and I'm sure “cake” is a euphemism for something) The ending was a little out of left field, I totally forgot about the run time of the episode, so it genuinely surprised me to see it be a cliffhanger. Kouhei's sometimes impulsive behavior might come back to bite him in the ass one day.

Also! Villains, how 'bout them? Even though we don't really see much of them, we're shown that there's definitely a nasty rivalry going on between Raija and Dezle. The rivalry goes pretty deep as Raija doesn't hide the fact that he's ready to take his brother on in a sword fight and Dezle almost relishes the idea that his brother's monster will fail.

Random note: I love how generic the technical aspects seem here in Ran's programming, it's almost embarrassingly bad.

Now on to episode four, in which we learn why posing and walking away from an explosion after you beat an enemy probably isn't the best idea.

Well taking on a general this early in the series went just as expected. Ah well, at least Raija was amusing in battle. “Let me go!” “Sure thing -TOSS-” gave me a chuckle.

We learn that Raija was after the Neo Beet Machines the entire time. Speaking of, those things are pretty snazzy, I love their battle sequences, they're some of the first mecha battles I've really found myself enjoying in a long time. It's amazing what models and some decent film angles can do for something like this.

Dezle's turn is up next and he seems more concerned with taking out the base itself than the Beet Machines.

This is probably my favorite episode so far, outside of actually seeing anything from Kengo that shows him off as a blank slate, we actually get someone rebuking Kouhei for being so impulsive and not working with his teammates in battle. Kengo's story here is pretty interesting, the guy basically had hopes of being B-Fighter Kabuto and trained his ass off for that before he was picked by the Kuwaga suit. Now he sort of wants to return to the old days where he had a bit more hope, he basically hates the idea of someone as seemingly irresponsible as Kouhei being able to fight as Kabuto, the role he fought so desperately for and lost out on in the end.

I'm finding myself to like Yui's roll in the series thus far, she's not just a cheerleader character put in the show to stand around looking pretty, she serves a purpose! She's basically the reason that Kengo came around and discovered that her brother really is a well meaning person, just rash because of his age. (and looking at Ran, it's easy to see why Kengo would be the most mature) I really loved seeing Kengo walking away from Yui at first, not wanting to be around anything that could remind him of Kouhei, I suppose that just shows how deeply he wanted to be Kabuto.

And if I haven't said it yet, I love that ending theme song. I'm not too fond of the opening, but I actually find myself sitting through the ending all the time.

---
I swear, I'm not trying to make these that incredibly long, but it feels like I have a ton to comment about in the episodes.
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top