Shadow Moon isn't a Rider

Eh, since we're going off on opinions here...

Was it ever officially stated that Shadow Moon is not a Rider? Because the way I've been seeing it, he IS a Rider. An evil Rider that stays evil to the bitter end, but still a Rider none the less. He's pretty much what would have become of Minami Kotaro if he had never gotten away and started fighting for justice.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Eh, since we're going off on opinions here...

Was it ever officially stated that Shadow Moon is not a Rider? Because the way I've been seeing it, he IS a Rider. An evil Rider that stays evil to the bitter end, but still a Rider none the less. He's pretty much what would have become of Minami Kotaro if he had never gotten away and started fighting for justice.

I've always considered him a Kamen Rider, considering he essentially is in every possible way, the only exception being he wasn't called Kamen Rider Shadowmoon. But thats just my 2 cents on the topic, but I'm curious if there was ever any statement made on that.

The new Tendou Souji
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong regarding the show but, I don't think KR Black ever directly called him a Rider; it was still working off the whole Showa-ish "If you do evil deeds, you don't deserve being called a Rider".

Super Moderator
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong regarding the show but, I don't think KR Black ever directly called him a Rider; it was still working off the whole Showa-ish "If you do evil deeds, you don't deserve being called a Rider".

Shadowmoon is never called Kamen Rider in the series at any point whatsoever. He is a villain albeit one with the visage of a Rider what with being the other potential Century King (Black Sun, Shadow Moon) further emphasizing that a Kamen Rider is having to fight his own brother.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
true. and I'm not arguing that he is one (even though i personally consider him one as he fills out all the basic requirements, but im aware that he still doesnt actually count), but I seem to remember someone telling me at some point that there were a few official materials that actually did refer to him as a kamen rider. but even so if ShadowMoon is where the line gets drawn then since every other evil rider uses and/or is referred to by the title of kamen rider then they all count so good thing thats settled.

Ore, Sanjou!
I can sum up why I don't like Soji Tendo in two words: God Complex. to elaborate, I didn't like how not only did he have one, but the series continuously fueled it. for starters, if you analyze his catchphrase, he's basically saying "I will become God". next, not only is he perfect at whatever he does, but from what I've seen, he won most of his battles with very little effort, and I don't think battles are very interesting if the hero barely ever struggles to win. it also didn't help that he was extremely arrogant about it and that he was like that since the first episode. then came the problems with Hyper Form. first the series added to his complex by practically saying " Tendo is so perfect that the only way for him to get stronger is for him to go back in time and give himself a power-up", but then he got the Perfect Zecter that let him use the other riders' Zecters and even take them while those riders were transformed, leaving them defenseless in the middle of battle

the only instance I could find of being able to stand Tendo was in God Speed Love, where aside from the opening scene (where he comes in out of nowhere, interrupts a battle, transforms, and beats everyone on both sides with ease), he turns out to be a more believable and even sympathetic character, which unfortunately was ruined by the ending where he essentially creates his own God Complex

if he had started out really arrogant and seemingly perfect, only to eventually get knocked down a few pegs and learn humility and how imperfections are what makes people human, then he could've been a good character, but that wasn't the case. so in the end, the problem with him was that he was a product of a bad idea for a protagonist that the writing staff only made worse

I always found Tsukasa to be a lot more heroic than people give him credit for. He was staright out told in the first episode to go and kill all the AU riders (by the original Wataru, no less!). He instead decided to go through the worlds trying to fix the problems and save the worlds without murdering nine other Riders. That's pretty heroic to me.

Of course he ended up killing a lot more riders than that but he followed it up by letting Kivala kill him, with no expectations of coming back himself, in order to restore everyone that was killed by the worlds merging.

Just because a Rider doesn't have an over the top martyr complex like Eiji, doesn't make them not a hero.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
I can sum up why I don't like Soji Tendo in two words: God Complex. to elaborate, I didn't like how not only did he have one, but the series continuously fueled it. for starters, if you analyze his catchphrase, he's basically saying "I will become God". next, not only is he perfect at whatever he does, but from what I've seen, he won most of his battles with very little effort, and I don't think battles are very interesting if the hero barely ever struggles to win.
if he had started out really arrogant and seemingly perfect, only to eventually get knocked down a few pegs and learn humility and how imperfections are what makes people human, then he could've been a good character, but that wasn't the case. so in the end, the problem with him was that he was a product of a bad idea for a protagonist that the writing staff only made worse

This is why Tendou isn't the true main character. The series might be called Kamen Rider Kabuto but I feel like that title was always meant to refer to the person originally intended to be Kamen Rider Kabuto; Kagami. And as far as the whole God Complex is concerned, I blame his Grandma. Its obvious that she built him up as a kid and instead of making amigos and becoming a real person, he did everything in his power to become the person his Granny told him he was. And he almost succeeded but Kagami, despite not having Tendou's skills and prowess is able to match him almost exclusively because of his bonds with the people around him and his drive to protect them.

Tendou exists to be everything Kagamis not, but Kagami represents the one thing Tendou doesn't have. Thats why Tendou doesn't suck, he serves a purpose. He was not meant to be relatable or realistic in any way. He was obviously never intended to be the person the viewer was supposed to relate to.

first the series added to his complex by practically saying " Tendo is so perfect that the only way for him to get stronger is for him to go back in time and give himself a power-up", but then he got the Perfect Zecter that let him use the other riders' Zecters and even take them while those riders were transformed, leaving them defenseless in the middle of battle

Yeah, I don't know why so many of you seem to freak out about this cuz I literally roll on the floor every time i re-watch Kabuto. How could you get upset at something so ridiciulous? Its hilarious. Its obviously too silly to warrant trying to take it seriously, so don't.

Just because a Rider doesn't have an over the top martyr complex like Eiji, doesn't make them not a hero.

Ugh, lets not talk about Eiji.

Ore, Sanjou!
despite that, the thing is that Tendo is the title character, Kabuto, and so he technically is the main character, and for all the reason's I stated, he's a character who I personally can't get behind, and it's why I, in all likelyhood, will probably never watch the Kamen Rider Kabuto series. while you may see some of this stuff as funny, and if that was intended, I wouldn't have such a problem, but from all the story clips and fight scenes I've seen, those aspects were taken very seriously within the series. from my memory, the only thing that took Tendo's perfection as comedy was the HBV, and that was so non-canon it had talking Zecters

A lot of the characters don't take his personality serious except his sister. While it's sometimes portrayed dramatically for the most part it's so over the top it's laughable. You can't get that from watching clips