If shows like Kuuga and Agito had aired today

I'd say no. From my watching experience, it took quite a while to get used to Agito, and I'm still bored by Kuuga after the first watch. For most KR shows post Ryuki(except for Kabuto, early!Den-O and Hibiki), there is that feeling after you watched an episode that nags you to download and watch the next one. It took around 10 episodes for Agito, and 30 for Kuuga. Gaps like that can make or break a show, especially if its on its first airing. For example, I continue on watching Agito because of people swearing left and right on the internet its really good. If it was back in 2001(?), I wouldn't have bothered.

@Off Topic: Yay, finally got around to making an account here. >.<
 
I'd much prefer they went back to making shows that focused on the story and character development, rather than the flashy action/comedies we get today that are designed solely to sell toys. Something that surprised me most when going back to Kuuga/Agito is that there's usually only one big action scene in an episode, typically towards the end. I think there were even a few episodes where no one transforms at all, an episode could be totally reliant on the plot if it meant driving things forward. I can't remember the last time in a modern show that we haven't seen at least two henshins per episode.

They were undoubtedly better shows, but whether or not they would have be successful with kids if shown today is a totally different matter. The single long running story through the series has a lot more tension and mystery, it really makes you want to keep watching.. but it's also harder to keep up with than the two-part arcs they do now, missing a week would leave you completely lost and the lack of constant action would probably just bore the kids, they need to see new toys to buy. The fact modern Riders are so reliant on form changes, collectible toys, new weapons, accessories and buddy robots is pretty telling.

So while I think they were better and would love to see a return to that format.. I don't think it would work.
 
I'd say no. From my watching experience, it took quite a while to get used to Agito, and I'm still bored by Kuuga after the first watch. For most KR shows post Ryuki(except for Kabuto, early!Den-O and Hibiki), there is that feeling after you watched an episode that nags you to download and watch the next one. It took around 10 episodes for Agito, and 30 for Kuuga. Gaps like that can make or break a show, especially if its on its first airing. For example, I continue on watching Agito because of people swearing left and right on the internet its really good. If it was back in 2001(?), I wouldn't have bothered.

@Off Topic: Yay, finally got around to making an account here. >.<

that's the beauty of the early heisei series that people loved. they aren't (bi)episodic. they follow mostly a standard drama format that the audience would be very involved.. with this format the shows don't send off a feeling of an over-extended toy commercial but an ongoing series with a story to tell...
 
Yes. Most of Kuuga consisted of 2-parters, with the first episodes focusing on the "Grongi of the week" and the second episodes focusing on how Kuuga could take it down.

Agito and Ryuki started out with 2-parters, but then started having cliffhangers in every episode halfway through.

As far as I remember, Faiz was the only show that rarely used 2-parters.
 
They were undoubtedly better shows, but whether or not they would have be successful with kids if shown today is a totally different matter. The single long running story through the series has a lot more tension and mystery, it really makes you want to keep watching.. but it's also harder to keep up with than the two-part arcs they do now, missing a week would leave you completely lost and the lack of constant action would probably just bore the kids, they need to see new toys to buy.

[...]

So while I think they were better and would love to see a return to that format.. I don't think it would work

There are some changes to overall style of the Heisei series which I've never really understood. For example, the current focus on lighter and more episodic stories doesn't seem to have been caused by any drop of ratings of the previous format, or some big boost gained from adopting the new format. Decade did adopt this heavily episodic structure and it had some success with ratings, but it still had a darker atmosphere and also all the crossover stuff, so using it as a base is weird. W is probably the biggest success of the current format, ratings-wise, but, still, even that show merely kept Decade's numbers, rather than making the audience grow. OOO and Fourze have just lost audience afterwards.

In Fourze, the last big ratings boost it got was at the conclusion of the Aries story, which was really the biggest "running story" that the show had, concluding Meteor's subplot and also the build up of the Astro Switches all at once, two elements that had received quite a big amount of build up throughout previous episodes of the series, while most other events of its story were "compartmentalized" in 2 episodes, and even the foreshadowing and build up to them didn't have much presence. Those compartmentalized events that Fourze had later didn't seem to help its ratings at all.

Wizard has a more subdued and seemingly serious atmosphere than Fourze and that immediately gave it a ratings boost. However, now with the show going nowhere, the numbers seem to be dropping already...

The fact modern Riders are so reliant on form changes, collectible toys, new weapons, accessories and buddy robots is pretty telling.

I don't think it's pretty telling of anything, considering how Kuuga had more forms than most of his successors, had a bike attachment and two bikes, each one with two forms... It's not as heavy as the modern series, but it's not very distant and it was a big jump coming from the previous Riders.

I can't remember the last time in a modern show that we haven't seen at least two henshins per episode.

Fourze 47 only had one brief action scene... But, yes, that was much more common back then. I don't think that's a problem though. Some of the early Heisei stuff was interesting, but at times, it was basically an excuse to waste episodes on drama unrelated to the show's (or movie's) premise. Most of Inoue's last Rider works all have clear examples of that kind of thing being badly handled. It's almost like he just doesn't want to be writing toku in the first place. Now, it worked at times, like in Agito, but I don't think the current action focus is necessarily related to the lack of focus on a running storyline that they also have nowadays.

If anything, the storyline was sacrificed in favor of highlighting the monsters of the week. When I started watching Heisei Rider, I could barely remember them due to how little focus they had, they often even killed one of them just to bring another identical one or repaints right afterwards, which just made all their designs blend together more, but now most get lots of screentime and unique designs.
 
Last edited:
Something that surprised me most when going back to Kuuga/Agito is that there's usually only one big action scene in an episode, typically towards the end. I think there were even a few episodes where no one transforms at all, an episode could be totally reliant on the plot if it meant driving things forward. I can't remember the last time in a modern show that we haven't seen at least two henshins per episode.

Agito and Kuuga were simply unusual in this regard. Look back at Showa era and you'll see a MINIMUM two henshins per episode. And that's true of the entire era be it X, Amazon, Stronger, Black, RX or what have you. It's not so much that later series have gone away from Kuuga/Agito, but that KR was never really like that in the first place.

Not to say that's preferable (huge Kuuga/Agito fan here), just that it was the status quo from the beginning.
 
Honest, I worry that they would add the gimmicks you see in today shows.

Early Heisei KR shows were sort of scifi J dramas, it wasn't until maybe Ryuuki or Blade that they started pushing more commercial aspects within the shows, which lead to more transformation gadgets, powers and such.

I can't really see that stuff work well with Kuuga, a case can be made for Agito but the heavy comedy styling would clash with the overall tone that made Agito so memorable at spots.
 
Early Heisei KR shows were sort of scifi J dramas, it wasn't until maybe Ryuuki or Blade that they started pushing more commercial aspects within the shows, which lead to more transformation gadgets, powers and such.

But it's the drama element that allowed the shows to be as good as they are without focusing on the gadgetry. Which is not to say Kuuga didn't have a lot of merchandising potential. Getting all the Kuuga figuarts will bankrupt me! Ryuki and Blade may have had a more "let's have a million riders and forms for toy sales" motif going on but the lack of that isn't what makes Kuuga and Agito better shows.

W onwards has arguably more merchandising potential than even Ryuki, the absolute height of the "look at how many toys we can make from one show" phenomenon. And is W not generally considered the best series for a myriad reasons?

If Kuuga had aired today, with the story and style intact but a bit more corporate push for toy sales...I'd think all that would change would be perhaps the mechanics of his henshin (slotting something into the belt for instance) or the elaborateness of the forms.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top