How come Gen Urobuchi hasn't work on Super Sentai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, whether he did it throughout the show or not is besides the point. He still did it. Repeatedly, and suffered none the less for it.

It's not encouraging the behaviour, but it shows that it's okay, you can get away with it.

When did he ever get away with it though? You're not making sense.

Oh, please. When you say a show is "stupid", when others think it's perfectly fine for the audience it caters to, it makes you guys presumptuous. There's no going around that. Don't pass it to us.

Of course I can pass it to you. You're dismissing a point of view so flippantly because it's a kids' show and that supposedly means it has to be a certain way because kids can't handle stuff.

So what if others think it's "perfectly fine". What does that have to do with what I think?

Accepting that kids ARE impressionable is not looking down on them.

Who said kids aren't impressionable? It doesn't mean though you throw out everything from past eras just because of one or two things that may be objectionable. Tell me why tokusatsu has to be filled with cartoony wackiness that barely fits a live-action format to begin with in order to be considered "acceptable" for kids. You act as though people are asking for R-rated material like "the good ol' days" (and no, it was not R-rated material, for anyone who wants to jump on that.)

For example, parents may not have enough time to contribute to their kids in order to explain things to them or Sentai is at a timeslot where the parents can't watch the show with regularity with their kids, or the kids will already face growing up an environment with a moral compass that needs correcting., or that society is already more aware of gender-sensitive issues, and will thus view these things much more negatively. That's probably also why there's more okama characters lately in Rider.

There are a lot of reasons why these things have happened, and why Sentai today is different from Sentai of the past. If a franchise decides to adjust to that, that's their prerogative, and as much as you wish the good 'ol times are better, they're not coming back, and for good reason.

Again, the "good ol' times" are not defined by Kou for God's sake! It's defined by good storytelling and characters that didn't need the crutch of blatant toy-shilling (not even hiding the fact that they're toys anymore) and the equivalent of dangling shiny objects in your face with characters being so over-the-top crazy.

90s Sentai is different from 80s Sentai in several ways. It's "milder" in content. But it's still a quality product. I can still enjoy it. I'm not so frequently annoyed watching it like I am 2000s Sentais. So it's not so much "things are different, oh noes!" as it is "This particular change is bad".

Bring back 80s-90s style Sentai without the boy perverts. Does that make you happy?
 
I'm saying that kids and their environment today are different from kids and their environment in the nineties. For example, parents may not have enough time to contribute to their kids in order to explain things to them or Sentai is at a timeslot where the parents can't watch the show with regularity with their kids

Parents too busy to spend time with their children was as common back then as it is now. Personally, I think that if you don't have the time to actually raise your children, then you ought not to have them. Problem children arise from negligence.

It isn't the job of the people making these those to provide one-hundred percent pure role models and essentially raise other people's children. It isn't for that. It's to ENTERTAIN above all else.
 
Parents too busy to spend time with their children was as common back then as it is now. Personally, I think that if you don't have the time to actually raise your children, then you ought not to have them. Problem children arise from negligence.

Or society is more aware that bad parenting because of not too much time happens. TV shows can't educate parents on how to raise their children, but they can opt not to exacerbate the problem.

It isn't the job of the people making these those to provide one-hundred percent pure role models and essentially raise other people's children. It isn't for that. It's to ENTERTAIN above all else.

Yes, their job is to entertain. And be responsible about it.

I honestly can't believe this. Are you guys seriously implying that shows limiting their inappropriate content is a bad thing?
 
"Limiting inappropriate content" doesn't mean make a show like "Go-Onger", "Goseiger", "Kyoryuger", (possibly) "Toqger", "Wizard", etc. How hard is that for you to grasp?

I would actually be for the return of the Hays Code or something like it in the US. But that's a far cry from saying "make shows as dumbed down as possible".
 
When did he ever get away with it though? You're not making sense.

Every time.

Of course I can pass it to you. You're dismissing a point of view so flippantly because it's a kids' show and that supposedly means it has to be a certain way because kids can't handle stuff.

So what if others think it's "perfectly fine". What does that have to do with what I think?

I'm not dismissing it. I'm calling it pompous and presumptuous.

The show is not made with primarily you in mind. Get over it.

Who said kids aren't impressionable? It doesn't mean though you throw out everything from past eras just because of one or two things that may be objectionable. Tell me why tokusatsu has to be filled with cartoony wackiness that barely fits a live-action format to begin with in order to be considered "acceptable" for kids. You act as though people are asking for R-rated material like "the good ol' days" (and no, it was not R-rated material, for anyone who wants to jump on that.)

Because "cartoony wackiness" is the norm of children's entertainment nowadays, just how perverted heroes were the norm of yesteryears. That's what I keep repeating: Sentai is a product of its times, and your good ol' times are not the good times anymore.

Again, the "good ol' times" are not defined by Kou for God's sake! It's defined by good storytelling and characters that didn't need the crutch of blatant toy-shilling (not even hiding the fact that they're toys anymore) and the equivalent of dangling shiny objects in your face with characters being so over-the-top crazy.

90s Sentai is different from 80s Sentai in several ways. It's "milder" in content. But it's still a quality product. I can still enjoy it. I'm not so frequently annoyed watching it like I am 2000s Sentais. So it's not so much "things are different, oh noes!" as it is "This particular change is bad".

Bring back 80s-90s style Sentai without the boy perverts. Does that make you happy?

But that (good storytelling and whatnot) is not what I'm talking about, I was responding to Dr. Kain's comments about there not being a difference in "broadcast standards" in the 90s and today's. You're interjecting yourself into the conversation and you end up misinterpreting the context.

On that note, what you deem as unacceptable "cartoony wackiness" is now acceptable.

Also "good storytelling" like "good writing" is a term thrown rather loosely around these boards by I what I would guess are people who think themselves as experts on the subject matter. What exactly do you guys think these concepts mean?

"Limiting inappropriate content" doesn't mean make a show like "Go-Onger", "Goseiger", "Kyoryuger", (possibly) "Toqger", "Wizard", etc. How hard is that for you to grasp?

I would actually be for the return of the Hays Code or something like it in the US. But that's a far cry from saying "make shows as dumbed down as possible".

Oh please. You can call these shows "dumbed down" when you stop missing very simple concepts in Kyoryuger all the time.
 
Or society is more aware that bad parenting because of not too much time happens. TV shows can't educate parents on how to raise their children, but they can opt not to exacerbate the problem.



Yes, their job is to entertain. And be responsible about it.

I honestly can't believe this. Are you guys seriously implying that shows limiting their inappropriate content is a bad thing?

It is still the parents job to teach the children right from wrong, not the tv's. Granted some care should be given, but the programming back then at least provided a different outlook, and even challenged them to think. Nowadays, it's dumbed down to the point that it negatively affects their intelligence.

I'm not just talking about Japanese programming, I'm also referring to Western as well. Back when we were kids, we had good, quality shows that would give and do so much more for our minds. Now, they are afraid of that and keep it simple and kiddified to the point that it's ridiculous. It's insulting to a child's intelligence in fact.

Do I condone the questionable antics that go on in some of these shows though? NO. But at least I know that it's fictional and I know the difference. That's due to proper parenting and common sense that those the older shows showed us how to use, and actually got us to think. Now if parents actually did their job in raising their children right, it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

A tv show is not a substitute for a parent though, so yeah a little care is warranted, but they are not obligated to be a step parent to the children who watch the shows. At least not to the point of insulting their intelligence, giving some kind of right-wing moral facade that hampers good, intelligent storytelling that even a kid should be able to follow and understand, just for the sake of playing it safe. It stunts the mental growth of the children.

I can see where you're coming from, but seriously, kids are just getting dumber due to the crappy, silly, nonsensical shows they got on today that do nothing to further their mental growth at all. Along with bad, negligent parenting.
 
It is still the parents job to teach the children right from wrong, not the tv's. Granted some care should be given, but the programming back then at least provided a different outlook, and even challenged them to think. Nowadays, it's dumbed down to the point that it negatively affects their intelligence.

I'm not just talking about Japanese programming, I'm also referring to Western as well. Back when we were kids, we had good, quality shows that would give and do so much more for our minds. Now, they are afraid of that and keep it simple and kiddified to the point that it's ridiculous. It's insulting to a child's intelligence in fact.

Do I condone the questionable antics that go on in some of these shows though? NO. But at least I know that it's fictional and I know the difference. That's due to proper parenting and common sense that those the older shows showed us how to use, and actually got us to think. Now if parents actually did their job in raising their children right, it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

A tv show is not a substitute for a parent though, so yeah a little care is warranted, but they are not obligated to be a step parent to the children who watch the shows. At least not to the point of insulting their intelligence, giving some kind of right-wing moral facade that hampers good, intelligent storytelling that even a kid should be able to follow and understand, just for the sake of playing it safe. It stunts the mental growth of the children.

I can see where you're coming from, but seriously, kids are just getting dumber due to the crappy, silly, nonsensical shows they got on today that do nothing to further their mental growth at all. Along with bad, negligent parenting.

Negatively affecting the intelligence because of the shows? Kids are getting dumber because of these shows? Source please.
 
Every time.

Examples?

I'm not dismissing it. I'm calling it pompous and presumptuous.

That is a dismissal!

Because "cartoony wackiness" is the norm of children's entertainment nowadays, just how perverted heroes were the norm of yesteryears. That's what I keep repeating: Sentai is a product of its times, and your good ol' times are not the good times anymore.

On that note, what you deem as unacceptable "cartoony wackiness" is now acceptable.

That doesn't mean I can't criticize it, nor that my age bars me from doing so.

Also "good storytelling" like "good writing" is a term thrown rather loosely around these boards by I what I would guess are people who think themselves as experts on the subject matter.

What are you, then?
 
Negatively affecting the intelligence because of the shows? Kids are getting dumber because of these shows? Source please.

Today's children and their programming that they watch are the only source you need. Seriously, use your damn eyes for crying out loud. Go out and see it for yourself.
 
I honestly can't believe this. Are you guys seriously implying that shows limiting their inappropriate content is a bad thing?

Are you being serious right now? I never said that. Hell, remember when I said that beating the hell out of Kou probably wasn't a good thing to show to kids? Good times.

What I'm trying to get across is that it's still ultimately the parents that have to guide their children. Even if children's television is purged of all things immoral.

Besides having some less-than-savory characters gives at least a little incentive for older people, including parents, to watch the shows. Drama is what keeps that audience watching.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top