THE ONLY MOD HASN'T BEEN ONLINE SINCE FUCKING SEPTEMBER

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THIS BOARD IS FUCKING DEAD, THE PREVIOUS MODS ARE GONE, THE ONLY ONE REMAINING IS FUCKING GONE, EMBRACE THE MADNESS MY FRIENDS

Last edited:
The only things keeping me from making a Tokusatsu message board of my own are the facts that I don't have someone who can help me out with tech support issues, and I don't think I have what it takes to properly advertise and draw in a crowd of any kind. I'd like to be much like this message board back when it was in its prime, but I'm just one guy.

Heroes are forever
Madness has embraced you at last, Geki?

Oh, it is so nice to find each other at the end of the world like this. I was always one to stay 'till the end of the party.

Just an Internet User Passing Thru
Reality check for you guys, Keith has actually moved a majority of the HJU discussion over to their new HJU Facebook Group (different from the HJU FB fan page, but they are associated with one another).

And the activity is booming in the HJU Facebook Group, damn near close to prime 2009-2012 HJU activity levels.

Guess it really is the age of social media.........that's my update for you guys considering I randomly popped in here and see there is still a pulse.

Why did he move everything there if he didn't have to? Given what we know about Facebook and Twitter these days, these aren't exactly places one would want to frequent unless you're only posting silly cat videos.

Would like to change his avatar
Facebook and Twitter are a poor substitute for a forum, so it's sad that so many forums have died because of them.

But you know what else doesn't help forums? Pests. Like, this forum has been quiet for ages. And one of the last times I was here, somebody resurrected a long dead topic, and it got a little off-topic, but it was the most active a thread in this place had been for a long while. And then somebody -- somebody who hadn't posted in the thread and had no intention of posting in the thread, started to whine about how people were getting off topic. It was activity and it was in a thread which had died a natural death years ago, but, still...it bothered this person so much they had to complain about it. And people stopped posting in the thread. And it was like "Well, are you happy now, pest? You chased away the only signs of life this place was showing. And for what? You had no interest in the thread, but saw the need to complain, killing the topic and activity." And it just made me be kind of like "Well, **** that place."

Well, all of the malware and computer problems this place has caused me didn't help matters, either. And now it has a really unpleasant design I can't put up with.

But you know what else doesn't help forums? Pests. Like, this forum has been quiet for ages. And one of the last times I was here, somebody resurrected a long dead topic, and it got a little off-topic, but it was the most active a thread in this place had been for a long while. And then somebody -- somebody who hadn't posted in the thread and had no intention of posting in the thread, started to whine about how people were getting off topic. It was activity and it was in a thread which had died a natural death years ago, but, still...it bothered this person so much they had to complain about it. And people stopped posting in the thread. And it was like "Well, are you happy now, pest? You chased away the only signs of life this place was showing. And for what? You had no interest in the thread, but saw the need to complain, killing the topic and activity." And it just made me be kind of like "Well, **** that place."

That's kind of a tough one to navigate though, isn't it? People can bring experiences from other forums with them into ones they've just recently joined. In other forums I've been to, if a topic has been dead long enough, the moderators might lock it up and tell you to start a new one if you still have things worth discussing. And in other forums I've been to, the admins insist that discussions stay on-topic. Going off topic is fine in moderation, but if things went too far, they'd step in and do something about it. Signs of life in a dying forum might be fine, but when do you draw the line? If the discussion spirals out of control to the point where people are breaking forum rules, do you say something about it even if the admins aren't around anymore, or do you let it slide just because there is signs of activity?

It almost makes you wonder how important it is to have active mods and admins. If the ones from this forum were to suddenly come back and be as active as they ever were, would that suddenly make things more lively here, or would the forum still be as slow and less-than-active as it is right now?

Speaking of the death of forums, TokuNation is quite active. I don't know what their secret is compared to HJU and Japan Hero before that. Is Rangerboard still popular?

Lurker
RangerBoard still alive and kicking, but even it's activity has taken a hit. It doesn't seem that way from afar but take a closer look and you'll realize a majority of discussion on there is the same 5-10 people talking in endless circles (The Movie thread being the worst offender. It was literally a circlejerk of the same 4 people screaming at anyone for not kissing the '17 PR Movie's ass and blindly accepting every change being made).

And yeah the uprise of social media has been siphoning activity and potential membership away from the fanboards. Long gone are the days of one having to join a messageboard to become a part of the community, now all one has to do is join Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Reddit, follow the right people, and create communities there. Not that I believe social media a better alternative to fanboards, but they do have some benefits fanboards don't. Doesn't help a lot of people nowadays have developed a condescending attitude towards messageboards and act like posting on one is somehow beneath them.

Speaking of the death of forums, TokuNation is quite active. I don't know what their secret is compared to HJU and Japan Hero before that.

That kind of goes into what I was talking about when I started asking how important admins are. When this place went down for a while, I joined TokuNation just because I was starved for conversation about Tokusatsu (and I wasn't sure if this forum would ever come back). However, just as shortly as I joined, I kept getting error messages. The forum wouldn't let me post any replies to any of the discussion topics, and I know for a fact none of my messages were breaking any rules or exceeding any length limits.

I tried to contact the various admins there, but NONE of them helped me. As soon as I told them my problem, they just stopped responding to me. I asked them if they were busy or something, and not a single reply. I waited for days for a response just to be ignored. I'm not saying the admins there are inactive, but I definitely wouldn't call them dependable. I even made a topic about it in their Tech Support section, and didn't get a single reply from any of the admins.