Gekisou Sentai Carranger comes to DVD on April 25th

Brian Ward, one of the Senior Directors at Shout Factory, has sent out a tweet stating that while they are looking at the masters there are still "lots of factors" and a release is not yet certain. In a follow-up tweet he stated that the Amazon page is essentially a placeholder and they often put up such pages long before they're sure a release will definitely happen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Last edited:
I hope it happens. I haven't finished Carranger yet, because my torr days are over. I was so close too lol.
 
OH MY GOD YES!!!!!

Coming April 25th

91gcmcTOI7L._SL1500_.avif

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARANGER!!!!!

I can not wait for this!!!! I am so happy right now!!!!!
 
Can't wait! I've heard good things about this series. It was the show that saved Super Sentai back in the day while it's western counterpart nearly dug Power Rangers' grave.
 
Brian Ward, one of the Senior Directors at Shout Factory, has sent out a tweet stating that while they are looking at the masters there are still "lots of factors" and a release is not yet certain. In a follow-up tweet he stated that the Amazon page is essentially a placeholder and they often put up such pages long before they're sure a release will definitely happen.

Yeah, I figured it'd take a while to figure out the humor alone in the translations, given how silly this series is supposed to be compared to others. That being said, this'll probably be good practice for some of the 2000s series' after we get past the "every sixth ranger dies" era.
 
Yeah, I figured it'd take a while to figure out the humor alone in the translations, given how silly this series is supposed to be compared to others. That being said, this'll probably be good practice for some of the 2000s series' after we get past the "every sixth ranger dies" era.
I've seen almost half of the series and now that I think about it the one kind of humour they haven't really used is the pun-based stuff so beloved of more recent Sentai. :hmm:

A lot of Carranger's comedy revolves around 'wtf' moments. A scene will be proceeding as you'd expect and then someone will do or say something completely out-of-the-blue and absurd. For example, a monster of the week has grown giant and is smashing buildings, then it suddenly realises that it's clothes don't cover it's midrift and everyone will be able to see it's bellybutton fluff and it gets all embarrassed.

The show does indeed make some self-aware comments. These aren't super insightful quips that make you re-think the whole franchise or anything. Just a gentle nod and a wink here and there. The villains don't (yet) know the Carranger's true identities, and whenever they bump into them untransformed they will pointedly refer to them as "those unremarkable citizens".

That's not the only kind of humour of course. If you've seen Kakuranger's first half or any of Dairanger's "Three Gorma Stooges" episodes, you'll find plenty of that kind of humour too. But not much in the way of puns or hitting each other in a slapstick fashion.

I must admit while I can appreciate what the show is doing differently, I don't find it super funny. You read reviews where people report being in constant giggles from start to end. That's not me. But the show never becomes grating. I still find it very easy to sit and watch.
I think that's because it's in the era when Sentai episodes were only 20 minutes long. Whether a joke works or falls flat, the show hasn't got time to sit on it's laurels. It's got to move straight onto the next thing or it won't fit it all into the episode.

About the only headache I can imagine Shout Factory having is that if they wanted to "borrow" the fansub again HaroRangers completely overhauled their translations five or six episodes in, so the first few don't match the rest of the series.
 
I laugh my ass off all of the time during the show, but the comedy of this is like watching a Mel Brooks film over some raunchy modern day Seth Rogen schlock. It's intelligent and does drama far better than most of the dramatic Sentai shows. It also has one of the most satisfying finales of the entire franchise, if not THE most satisfying finale. It shows that Sentai can be hilarious and not dive down into the retarded stupidity like the shows that have come out after Abaranger have done.

Prime, I don't get your comment about Shout! borrowing fansubs when they do their own translations.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top