The CarRanger series (made for the 20th Anniversary of Toei's remarkable franchise) is-for the most part- a light hearted & humorous series; its many in-jokes and self-parodying of the Super Sentai franchise have won it a place in the hearts of many fans.

The same, however, can NOT be said for its American counterpart. Despite a highly-promoted theatrical premiere, the installment known as "Turbo" suffered from poor casting/characterization & severely underdeveloped plot points, sending the Western Saban series to an all-time low in both ratings & popular opinion.

(before I proceed with review I must apologize for the low-quality images this time).

carsetv.jpg

First up are the Ranger Vehicles, machines based on each Ranger's dream mode of transportation.

carmz.jpg

They combine to form RV Robo, a Mecha armed with the traditional sword & shield.

RV Robo's not really a BAD design but there's not a whole lot to say about him. Pretty average on all counts.

Later on the CarRangers are joined by a robotic police officer from an alien world. He brings his own Mecha-

carsirenv.jpg

Sirender, a gigantic police cruiser.

carsirenr.jpg

Able to transform into Robot Mode, armed with several weapons but most often using an arm-mounted blaster.

I like this little guy, simple design but still fun.

carrescue.jpg

Next up is the VRV ("Victory Ranger Vehicle") Machines! From left to right- V Fire, V Police, V Dump, V Dozer & V Rescue.

The VRVs have one very unique feature that sets them apart from other such Sentai Mechs-

carhighstance.jpg

they each have INDIVIDUAL Robot forms! These "VRV Fighter" configurations are simple & inarticulate but they've pushed the creative design envelope to new heights.

carresmz.jpg

Their combined form is the VRV Robo, undoubtedly my favorite Mecha from the CarRanger line. It just looks incredible & play value is through the roof.

At some point in the series the original Ranger Vehicles & the new VRV are utilized simultaneously-

carscramble.jpg

resulting in "Scramble Intersection Robo!" The limb-swapping gimmick is a nice bonus feature.

carbasev.jpg

Last but certainly not least is the VicTrailer, a powerful transport used to haul the VRV around.

carbaseR.jpg

VicTrailer can transform into a powerful Robotic form, Victrailer Battle Mode (which is an ironic title because it doesn't actually do a lot of battling; its mainly just a Carrier)

carcarrier.jpg

(it can also hold the Ranger Vehicles but I don't have a pic of that)

VicTrailer also frequently lends its weapons to VRV Robo-

carweapons.jpg

The V Bazooka & the V Vulcan are both tremendously powerful finishing blows.

And that's CarRanger, a Mecha line that starts off weak but ends with a bang.