Zaruba would have made a lot more sense as a "Host" for this season. Unless Gonza is actually immortal and is still alive while elsewhere in Japan Ryuuga is slaying horrors while Rian is in Kantai training new priests.

Gonza is the Alfred of Japanese superheroes.

S

scikaiju

An interesting look at Jinga and Amily before Goldstorm, especially with Amily since she wasn't as confident as she appeared to be in the flashback sequence that explained why they were horrors. Although with the actress that played Kirara I swear that's like the third or fourth part she played in Garo in general at this point since Makai Senki. Although when Jinga started talking about how he like looking at the moon because it was pretty I was kind of afraid that was going to be te reason he brought Amily instead of the reason he actually gave.

Ladies and gentlemen, Kenji Matsuda is in the house!

Anyway, episode three is actually two separate stories. The first is a comedic tale that takes place in a secret Horror hideout called the Jackpot bar, on the day that Lightning Knight Baron comes in for a drink. Sadly his armour was CGI and only summoned for his finisher, season three style. But I thought it was really nice to see a bit of fun in the Garo franchise.

The second story stars Mayuri, the female lead from the fourth season, along with Anna, the retired Makai Priest that Gonza had a day out with during that same season. They have to catch one of those magical goldfish things (implied to be one of Rekka's) that escapes from a painting. It's more gently whimsical than the first part, but perhaps hints at the path Mayuri followed after the end of 'Flower of Makai'.

S

scikaiju

Yeah these were definitely two stories that probably would have suffered if they were padded out to fill the entire episode, especially Mayuri's. Although I did like how shocked she looked when Anna hugged her, not sure when this one takes place it takes place in relation to Makai no Hana but I don't think that happened a lot to her considering she was seen as a Makai tool for most of her life. And it was good to see Baron in action, even if it had some comedic stuff in there. And it was a nice change of pace from the usual tone most Garo stories have.

Hahaha, Baron cleaning up bars of horrors is like the universe telling us: there is more than a Makai Kishis lives than facing scenery chewing antagonists and having platonic relationships with ladies. Sometimes a not-gold armored knight simply come to horror town leisurely.

S

scikaiju

A nice little Rian story with her talking to the the self admitted scumbag of a guy. Although the Horror fight was good, and we did get a Golden Knight sighting, it was one of the weaker episodes so far I thought. But I was a bit confused because I thought and Ryuga already got past the whole having a hard time telling each other how they feel thing in Goldstorm.

I seriously feel that they are going nowhere with the Garo series. Plots and characters are bland, and so called "adults" factions are horror blood that "spills" like characters, and boobs/thighs fanservice.

Sorry, conclusion after the boob grabbing scene in ep5

S

scikaiju

Well it is a anthology series this year, so there are going to be stronger and weaker episodes.

As for the latest, it was alright. I did like how Yuna is apparently starting to find her own way as a Makai Priest and a Knight. even going so far as giving her a unique fighting style. And bringing in Leo as another, and as far as anybody know the first, Makai Priest/Knight was a perfect touch to show Yuna could do this. And Kain, well Kain was Kain for the most part. although i do think him trying to empathize she's a Makai Priest, still not sure if he was trying to cope a feel to surprise her or get het Brush, or both wouldn't put it past him, was a little more mature and responsible of him than what I remember in Black Blood. On that note the mentioning but not exactly name dropping Rei was a nice touch, although did they imply Rei made this assignment to try and hook Yuna and Kain up?

S

scikaiju

And we have a episode featuring Bikuu, little weird seeing she just had a movie not that long ago. But i don;t remember being that emotionless during Makai no Hana. Kind of saw that Erika wasn't who she was portrayed to be at first. But why she met up with Bikuu is still a mystery. Maybe this played some sort of part in Bikuu's movie.

Well episode four was such a snooze-fest it took me two weeks to finally get through it. :redface2: But episode five was a real surprise. They brought back the exact characters I'd have named as my top three most disliked within the franchise, only to create a realy good episode with them. I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised though; I disliked Rekka throughout Makai Senki yet she's been way more tollerable during her occasional appearances since then.

Also, slightly surprised that this was the episode that got a big budget bump. Nice to get some actual action and effects. :thumbs:
I seriously feel that they are going nowhere with the Garo series. Plots and characters are bland, and so called "adults" factions are horror blood that "spills" like characters, and boobs/thighs fanservice.

Sorry, conclusion after the boob grabbing scene in ep5
Yeah the boob grabbing is always awkward. It's one of those things they've gone to from time to time ever since 'Beast of the White Knight'. Probably the last remnant of the days when they felt they needed to prove they were an 'adult' toku by (ironically, immaturely) showing boobs onscreen.

It's an anthology series so there's not going to be an overarching plot. Though tbh I don't think the overarching plots are Garo's strength anyway. Individual episodes often work better. Though if you haven't seen the first anime series (aka 'The Carved Seal of Flames') that has one of the best overarching stories in the franchise.
And we have a episode featuring Bikuu, little weird seeing she just had a movie not that long ago.
The actress is an ex-member of AKB48, so she comes with a higher level of attention (and more of a built-in fanbase) than pretty much any other actor they've got. They're probably trying to milk it for all they can before she gets too big for them to be able to afford her.