Mad Skillz
I think ratings have actually been down around the board for these type of shows since back in the day so its not as worrying as people think it is but of course i may be mistaken lol
There had actually been a bit of a ratings bump that last for a good two and a half years in Toei's shows. Gokaiger's ratings are pretty bad, there's no way around that, the only Sentai with worse ratings are Carranger and Ohranger. Gokaiger is saved by the fact that it's a very lucrative series. I think Toei is realizing they need to retool Sentai to work better for TV because more shows like Gokaiger could essentially prove that you don't need a show to market a toy line and that would be very bad for a franchise like Sentai.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I think Toei is realizing they need to retool Sentai to work better for TV because more shows like Gokaiger could essentially prove that you don't need a show to market a toy line and that would be very bad for a franchise like Sentai.

So for Gobusters, supposedly their saving throw, they hire the writer and producer of OOO (the show that brought Kamen Rider's ratings crashing down after the high of Decade and W) and incorporate elements of Den-O (more of a toy commercial than any other series) and Metal Heroes (an old franchise that kids don't remember and Toei is only making a big deal of it to find out whether it could make them any more money)?

Minato Ascending
It seems to me that Gobusters is truly the beginning of a new era, with new ideas and old things like the wrist henshin devices making a comeback, not to mention some Kamen Rider vibe with the non-spandex costume and Red Buster riding a bike. I think Toei is treating it as the rebirth of this long-running franchise, and although the rating isn't what it once was the toys are still going strong, and the fans are still loyal to it. Super Sentai has never went on hiatus like KR and I don't think it'll ever happen, at least not in the near future.

It seems to me that Gobusters is truly the beginning of a new era, with new ideas and old things like the wrist henshin devices making a comeback, not to mention some Kamen Rider vibe with the non-spandex costume and Red Buster riding a bike. I think Toei is treating it as the rebirth of this long-running franchise, and although the rating isn't what it once was the toys are still going strong, and the fans are still loyal to it. Super Sentai has never went on hiatus like KR and I don't think it'll ever happen, at least not in the near future.

Like I said previously, "new" ideas aren't always kept. Toei didn't keep the all-male team after SunVulcan, they didn't keep the villain focus after Gekiranger, Kamen Rider hasn't followed Den-O's approach since that show, etc. With Rider, they promoted W as the start of "new" Kamen Rider, and we got a pretty different show that year. What happened? Next year, with OOO, it was business as usual and the ratings went back down. Unless Toei is planning to make a sustained effort to revive the franchise, we can't expect much better for Sentai. Will they do it? Probably not. They don't care about quality, they just want the money.

Not only that, but something being "new" doesn't hold attention by itself. I really hope Kobayashi has sorted out the problems with pacing that we got in Shinkenger and OOO. Otherwise kids will tune in for the start of Gobusters, maybe go back to it when the new heroes appear in June, then interest will tail off as basically nothing important happens for the whole of the second arc

Like I said previously, "new" ideas aren't always kept. Toei didn't keep the all-male team after SunVulcan, they didn't keep the villain focus after Gekiranger, Kamen Rider hasn't followed Den-O's approach since that show, etc. With Rider, they promoted W as the start of "new" Kamen Rider, and we got a pretty different show that year. What happened? Next year, with OOO, it was business as usual and the ratings went back down. Unless Toei is planning to make a sustained effort to revive the franchise, we can't expect much better for Sentai. Will they do it? Probably not. They don't care about quality, they just want the money.

Not only that, but something being "new" doesn't hold attention by itself. I really hope Kobayashi has sorted out the problems with pacing that we got in Shinkenger and OOO. Otherwise kids will tune in for the start of Gobusters, maybe go back to it when the new heroes appear in June, then interest will tail off as basically nothing important happens for the whole of the second arc

isn't that more incline to power rangers?

So for Gobusters, supposedly their saving throw, they hire the writer and producer of OOO (the show that brought Kamen Rider's ratings crashing down after the high of Decade and W) and incorporate elements of Den-O (more of a toy commercial than any other series) and Metal Heroes (an old franchise that kids don't remember and Toei is only making a big deal of it to find out whether it could make them any more money)?

Although Den-O and OOO's general ratings were low, they did well with children. Den-O actually has the highest ratings with children 4-12 after the start of Pokemon Sunday. OOO's numbers weren't as good, but it still did pretty well there.

I think super sentai would have higher ratings and sales if they showed their shows more to other countries and sold translated subtitle dvds for the western fans. It just seems they only show super sentai in Japan only, where as for Power Rangers its shown through out all of America and of Europe. So if they show Super Sentai to more people I think toei will recieve higher ratings rather than isolating the show only to Japan and their dvds to japan only.

they have tried that before way back when, and toei is aware i believe that sentai has a western fanbase, problem is, its too small to make money off of(as most fans have concluded). They are a smart business, If they thought selling dvds would make them more money, they would have been done it by now. But as of right now, PR makes them alot of doe internationally.....so.....yeah.

isn't that more incline to power rangers?

It's basically everyone. That's just how business works :laugh:

I'd agree that Power Rangers is how Sentai makes money in the west. I also think that Toei has the idea (whether right or wrong) that Power Rangers is more culturally appropriate for English-speaking fans - Tsukada said as much in that interview he did when he was producing Gekiranger