D

Dr Kain

So we watched the first 5 episodes of Ultraman X just now and I have mixed feelings towards it. Is this series meant to be a sequel to Ginga? If not, it feels like it. The biggest annoyance I have though is the audio mixing is atrocious. It sounds like the dialog is coming out of a garbage can. I had to turn my volume way up to hear the dialog, which has made the sound effects extremely loud. I'm surprising the cops didn't come by for noise ordinance. :D The characters are not bad, but they aren't anything special either. I also find Daichi to just be a boring protagonist right now. Oh, and the cars and connect to highly advanced vehicles is kind of silly. That aside though, the miniatures and camera shots have been quite good and I have enjoyed the fight choreography. The fifth episode was really well done too.

D

Dr Kain

We watched episodes 6-10 of X tonight. Well, we skipped that stupid 7.5 recap episode (at least they told us it was going to be a clip show so I didn't have to click on it and find out). These episodes were pretty good. The Gorgon monster's design was wicked and it was an enjoyable two parter. The one with Max rocked and the plant episode was interesting, however, the star of the episodes we watched was hands down the ninth episode. I do not care about sports one bit, but holy **** that episode was freaking fantastic. The comedy was spot on, the aliens were great, and the episode was just so damn entertaining. This is easily the best episode of the show thus far. In fact, the trio of aliens reminded me of the Three Idiots from Dairanger. I hope they return again because the episode seemed to end a tad abruptly without any sort of goodbye said between Isamu and the trio.

Oh, and it seems like they fixed their sound editing, so I'm not sure if it was the show itself or just a glitch with Crunchyroll last night, but I didn't have any issues this time.

D

Dr Kain

Well we just finished Ultraman X and that was an average finale for what was an average series. Spoilers will be involved.

Ep 15 - Kamiki is a terrible father! That is all.

Ep 16 - Oh god, a found footage-esque episode. WHat is this, COPS? Good guy, STOP SHAKING THE CAMERA!! Just an all around terrible episode and the worst of the series. ALthough, the scene when Kamiki interrogates the alien dude was hilarious.

Ep 17 - What would an Ultraman series be without the original Pokemon? It was a touching episode.

Ep 18 - The scene where Rui kept correcting people into calling the monster Mu-Chan to the point that everyone corrects Daichi was hilarious. A childish episode, but a funny one. Poor Wataru. His window antics were great.

Ep 19 - Gomora, Man's Best Friend! Another solid episode here, but what was up with the space monkey?

Ep 20 - Oh cool, Nexus. Boy this episode seemed extremely rushed. This should have been at least a 2 parter becasue Tachibana turning into Nexus just comes out of the blue, she quits, but then why is she still there like nothing happened? Oh, now she says she really should quit annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Nexus is gone. What the hell was that all about? What was the purpose of Nexus here when he didn't actually do anything? Once again, why the hell was this not a multi-part episode? Hell, this could have easily been a three parter with how much happened here.

Ep 21 - Okay, Greeza is freaking awesome. I love the way he moves. "Oh god dammit, I hate it when lag occurs as it makes it so hard to hit the enemy."

Ep 22 - That's it? Where was the resolution? They never even learned what the source of the dark lightning was. There was no climax to Daichi's quest to find his parents. He didn't even use the Nexus card he got two episodes ago. What was the point of Space Kong?

Overall, like I said, it was an average series. For being 22 episodes (well 24 if you count the two clipshows that were deemed .5) there was just way too much filler and nothing ever felt like there was any major plot thread. The space monkey dude was pointless as he didn't bring anything to the table. Also, Daichi was such a bland character. He barely had any character growth whatsoever and his search for his parents never had an resolution. The same goes for X himself who was there just because it's called Ultraman. Of course, it's not like the rest of the characters were any better.

Thankfully, the show made up for its negatives with a lot of really fun and entertaining episodes. The miniatures were outstanding and the camera work was quite impressive. My favorite episode was the rugby one with the aliens and nothing throughout the rest of the series was able to top it. It's a shame we never got to see them return either as that would have been cool. Then again, this show seems to be full of missed opportunities.

In the end it is easily the weakest of the Ultraman series I have seen. Granted, that isn't many, but all the same. Our next series is going to be Ginga while I finish up UltraSeven on my own.

Why is Kamiki a bad father? It's not like he was out getting drunk at a streetcart like that father in ep 7 of Winspector.

D

Dr Kain

Why is Kamiki a bad father? It's not like he was out getting drunk at a streetcart like that father in ep 7 of Winspector.

He ditched his dying wife for work and then didn't go to his daughter's wedding in order to babysit his team. I don't care what his duty is, everyone told him to go and they would take care of it and would have done so without him there. He's a horrible father and shouldn't have had a kid in the first place.

Wow, you really didn't get that episode, did you? I hope you're never in a situation like that. (Smart alec response to this post aside.)

Episode 16 was just fine. The way the monster attacks are filmed is actually one thing I like about X. The only thing I didn't like was Rui, who before I could tolerate but here became insufferable with her childishness.

D

Dr Kain

Oh, I thought the episode itself was great. If I thought every terrible father ruined an episode then I would never like Dragon Ball Z since Goku is even worse.

Rui and her entire crew came out lackluster. None of them had any development and they never explained why they have an alien working for them. Not to mention we learned absolutely nothing about him.

Oh, I thought the episode itself was great. If I thought every terrible father ruined an episode then I would never like Dragon Ball Z since Goku is even worse.

Rui and her entire crew came out lackluster. None of them had any development and they never explained why they have an alien working for them. Not to mention we learned absolutely nothing about him.

Apparently you have some sort of "family first" mentality which is understandable. Also the whole father thing with Goku, watch Neon Genesis Evangelion before you make those assumptions.

Also you're issue with the origin of the dark thunder energy, it's been confirmed that Greeza is the source. If you want proof, watch the last episode when Greeza revives the spark dolls, when he does, Tsurugi Demaaga, EX-Red King, and EX-Gomora appear, which only happened when their original selves were hit with dark thunder energy.

Also in regards to Daichi's character, he is the biggest dork in Ultra history. I mean he made dioramas for the spark dolls! And there is too much sexual tension between him and Asuna.

S

scikaiju

I think Dr. Kain, and please tell me if I'm mistaken, is seeing it more from the eye of the daughter. Yes he left his dying wife and choose to fight the monster instead of going to his daughter's wedding. But he wasn't ditching them he was protecting them because in his world view that was his job, to protect them and he didn't trust that job in somebody else's hand. Now if Kamiki was a bad father slash person he probably wouldn't care in any way shape or form, but he did. He knows his responsibility kept him form his wife's last moments and more than likely his daughter's love and I'm pretty sure it hurts him. Because why else would he still have that drawing she made when she was little in the inner pocket? Because he knows full well responsibility as a father and a husband cost him his family in the long run but he did it again the day of her wedding because in his mind he was the only one who could truely protect it.

D

Dr Kain

Apparently you have some sort of "family first" mentality which is understandable. Also the whole father thing with Goku, watch Neon Genesis Evangelion before you make those assumptions.

Oh I've seen Evangelion and I hate that show. Outside of two episodes, it's borderline boring and the endings are total bs.

As for a family first mentality, that's because my family are nothing but a bunch of glorified assholes and worthless sacks of **** that no one else should have to suffer like that.

Also you're issue with the origin of the dark thunder energy, it's been confirmed that Greeza is the source. If you want proof, watch the last episode when Greeza revives the spark dolls, when he does, Tsurugi Demaaga, EX-Red King, and EX-Gomora appear, which only happened when their original selves were hit with dark thunder energy.

I don't remember they stating he was the source, but he did use it, so I guess that is valid.

Also in regards to Daichi's character, he is the biggest dork in Ultra history. I mean he made dioramas for the spark dolls! And there is too much sexual tension between him and Asuna.

Doesn't excuse the poor writing for his character.