S

scikaiju

Since Ultraman generally isn't that popular around these parts, i thought it be best to keep the episode discussion in one thread. Just one rule though, since not every one has a premium account at crunchyroll please use spoiler tags when the newest episode airs.

Lurker
The series in general is usually very pretty (there are a few misses, but they can't always winners).

In terms of characters, it feels like it's comparable to Dekaranger as of now. I don't think they have anything to stand out right now, but it's only starting out. Also:[HIDE]Why is the main character hiding his Ultraman X identity? It's kinda jarring that the organization is willing to send data on an unknown giant. Plus, it devalues the trust the main character has with his teammates. They even seem cool with Ultraman X.[/HIDE]

I can't watch the english subs on crunchyroll because I'm in Asia.
Tudou/letv has the chinese subs though, and Tsuburaya also uploads the raw episodes on their youtube channel. So I watch there instead.

The opening is catchy.
The special effects and CGI are really good.
I like X and his interaction with Daichi, it's hilarious at times.
X's design and the design of the various kaiju armours are great too.

Lurker
The series in general is usually very pretty (there are a few misses, but they can't always winners).

In terms of characters, it feels like it's comparable to Dekaranger as of now. I don't think they have anything to stand out right now, but it's only starting out. Also:[HIDE]Why is the main character hiding his Ultraman X identity? It's kinda jarring that the organization is willing to send data on an unknown giant. Plus, it devalues the trust the main character has with his teammates. They even seem cool with Ultraman X.[/HIDE]

It's a norm for Ultraman hosts to hide their identity. Basically almost every prior Ultraman series are this way. The only exception is Ultraman Nexus (fully public identity), and UltraSeven X/Ginga/Ginga S (partially).

Usually the explanation is that they are aliens (Ultraman) and don't want others to know (not for Ultraman X's case since Daichi is human), or they probably want to be a silent hero and don't want so much attention, or it's safer to keep your identity secret from the enemy.

I must admit I wasn't too excited about this as the recent surge of Ultraman releases have left me right up on the border of burning out on the franchise. But based on the first two episodes (crunchyroll is streaming it to the UK so I wouldn't feel right about downloading it, and I don't want to pay for the subscription when crunchyroll aren't currently simulcasting anything else I want to watch) it's OK. Not brilliant yet, but the 'new series honeymoon period' pushes my interest level above that of the other three weekly toku shows.

Tsuburaya have always been very good at getting across the feeling of size in their shows and have detailed minature sets (after all, their founder originally made his name creating minature sets for stop motion) and I'm glad that continues here. So far the characters seem pretty by-the-book and the transformation device doesn't do much for me. Hopefully the Gomora armour add-on is the bulkiest - it's sad to see that Ultraman has contracted 'massive shoulder pads disease' from the other toku shows Bandai co-produce. Hopefully it will have an interesting story that will show what they can do now that they apparently have some financing behind them again (thank you Bandai).

am I the only one who immediately thought of Go-Busters when...

[HIDE]Daichi's dad entrusted him with Gomora's Spark Doll and rushed back into the building to save his wife before it got obliterated into data particles? I'm pretty sure they're still well and alive, but are entrapped in data form.[/HIDE]

even the card gimmick and X borrowing the signature Kaijuu powers reminds me too much of Blade.

[HIDE]Daichi's dad entrusted him with Gomora's Spark Doll and rushed back into the building to save his wife before it got obliterated into data particles? I'm pretty sure they're still well and alive, but are entrapped in data form.[/HIDE]

No, you are not the only one.

I've only seen the first episode but I like what I've seen so far. The special effects have way more oomph to them than the other toku shows airing (although I'm not watching Garo: Goldstorm) and I really love that they're playing up Ultraman X as a completely separate character from Daichi with his own personality. Plus, actually seeing Daichi in the "cockpit" of X was refreshing. As far as I know, I don't think the Ultraman franchise has pulled that before.

Hopefully Ultraman X will be worthwhile. I've never watched an Ultraman series as it's airing before (I tried to with Ultraseven X but I couldn't get into it until years later), so I'm praying this doesn't defeat my expectations.

S

scikaiju

even the card gimmick and X borrowing the signature Kaijuu powers reminds me too much of Blade.
That was my first thought too Jacky, hopefully that ending is a little happier than Go-Busters. And I guess even Ultraman couldn't avoid the whole "collectables" gimmick forever. *looks at the 6 Spark Dolls in my collection."

And DaikaijuSokogeki, they did the human in the "cockpit" originally with Ultraman Ginga/Ginga S. Although the human was the one directly controlling the action, not uniting with the Ultra.

I am not sure if its up to date or not but at DramaCool Ultraman X is up at episode 3.

And DaikaijuSokogeki, they did the human in the "cockpit" originally with Ultraman Ginga/Ginga S. Although the human was the one directly controlling the action, not uniting with the Ultra.

I should have known. I haven't watched Ginga or Ginga S yet, so I wasn't aware.