Status
Not open for further replies.
Minato Ascending
I don't think there is anything they could do to develop J's character. He's simply a defective Buddyroid and all I can see them doing is having an episode that shows him starting to care more about others towards the end of the series.

Yeah, I like J but quite frankly I don't see why he needs to have an episode that develops his character or background, unless it's one where Masato recounts the story of how he develops J in the first place. J is a very interesting member of the team, but he is still only a Buddyroid. I do think we will eventually get to see how he was made by Masato, though.

always henshining'
ratings this week - 3.1
a bit better than the disaster last week but still too low
the average keeps plummeting towards the 3.* range.

What the hey...?

I haven't started watching Gobusters yet, but I just found out that the person who plays beet buster is the person who was MagiYellow in Magiranger. :O_O:Awesome.:thumbs:

Nice post!!
Kids are tuning in anyway.

The overall point of your post is well-taken, but I do want to say that we don't actually know this yet. We don't have demographics for Go-Busters's ratings yet, so it's not clear if the poor ratings are due to a low Kids average or low averages with other groups.

That's a bit less icky than "Masato knocked up Yoko's mother and was never in his daughter's life"

So, obviously, this is something shocking to a Western sensibility (a superhero who's a deadbeat dad?!), but I don't think the target audience would consider it icky. There's a lot of classical Japanese folklore, the sort kids would already be familiar with, that revolves around awesome adventuresome parents having awesome adventuresome illegitimate children.

A lot of actual illustrious figures from Japanese history and culture are illegitimate children, too. Some examples include Otagaki Rengetsu, the great poet, calligrapher, and ceramic artist; the eighth unit captain of the Shinsengumi, Todo Heisuke; and Shimazu Tadahisa, founder of the Shimazu samurai clan and illegitimate son of Minamoto Yoritomo.

In short, I don't think this development would even be taken as all that melodramatic by the target audience. Family drama like this is usually the core of classical Japanese storytelling. It would be considered tragic that Masato couldn't make his identity obvious to Yoko, but it's fairly unlikely he would be considered a bad person over it.

Wasn't Metalder cancelled though because it wasn't pulling in kids ratings? :sly:

There's no demographic numbers available for Metalder, but it is absolutely true that Metalder has the lowest overall ratings average of the Metal Hero franchise. I'm not sure the show was canceled, though? I always heard it was just planned to be a shorter show, for the same reason Decade was, so Toei could alter what time of year new Metal Heroes launched.

ratings this week - 3.1
a bit better than the disaster last week but still too low
the average keeps plummeting towards the 3.* range.

A sobering thought: we probably haven't seen Go-Busters's lowest rating yet. Check out this chart. It becomes very obvious over time that most Sentai have their lowest overall ratings at episode 25. (I don't know why this is, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who did.) Given the precedent set by episode 22, we could easily see Go-Busters dip below a 2% when it hits episode 25. Those are danger zone ratings for Sentai.

Mad Skillz
There's no demographic numbers available for Metalder, but it is absolutely true that Metalder has the lowest overall ratings average of the Metal Hero franchise. I'm not sure the show was canceled, though? I always heard it was just planned to be a shorter show, for the same reason Decade was, so Toei could alter what time of year new Metal Heroes launched.
I wouldn't say it was cancelled outright, but quotes seem to give the impression that it was meant to run for a full year. Regardless, it did finish with 39 episodes and that's actually three full quarters. If Metalder had been cancelled, I think that would have been the end of the franchise. Neither Juspion nor Spielban did well enough to have their formulas stick around and if Metalder was cancelled, I think that would have been the end of it.

A sobering thought: we probably haven't seen Go-Busters's lowest rating yet. Check out this chart. It becomes very obvious over time that most Sentai have their lowest overall ratings at episode 25. (I don't know why this is, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who did.) Given the precedent set by episode 22, we could easily see Go-Busters dip below a 2% when it hits episode 25. Those are danger zone ratings for Sentai.
It's scary how consistent that is. Either way, I think the show's pretty much screwed historically. Even if every episode after the start of Wizard scores above a 5%, it still won't finish with higher than something like a 4.5% average and numbers always seem to drop in the final quarter.

The new Tendou Souji
I'm not sure the show was canceled, though? I always heard it was just planned to be a shorter show, for the same reason Decade was, so Toei could alter what time of year new Metal Heroes launched.

I see. I was just going off what I usually tend to hear, that being "The show got cancelled for being over-budget and having low ratings!"

Then again, lol internet.

> Gaoranger ep.11
> 10.0

I'm gonna assume that's a good thing and, do this :dance:
(I love that episode)

I liked him when he wasn't a god
So, obviously, this is something shocking to a Western sensibility (a superhero who's a deadbeat dad?!), but I don't think the target audience would consider it icky. There's a lot of classical Japanese folklore, the sort kids would already be familiar with, that revolves around awesome adventuresome parents having awesome adventuresome illegitimate children.

A lot of actual illustrious figures from Japanese history and culture are illegitimate children, too. Some examples include Otagaki Rengetsu, the great poet, calligrapher, and ceramic artist; the eighth unit captain of the Shinsengumi, Todo Heisuke; and Shimazu Tadahisa, founder of the Shimazu samurai clan and illegitimate son of Minamoto Yoritomo.

In short, I don't think this development would even be taken as all that melodramatic by the target audience. Family drama like this is usually the core of classical Japanese storytelling. It would be considered tragic that Masato couldn't make his identity obvious to Yoko, but it's fairly unlikely he would be considered a bad person over it.

I think I still like him. Or will still like him if this plot doesn't screw up his character too badly. At least Yoko takes after her mother (badass) rather than Masato (irresponsible slut.) And, hey, she's in pretty good company ...

Would like to change his avatar
I wouldn't say it was cancelled outright, but quotes seem to give the impression that it was meant to run for a full year. Regardless, it did finish with 39 episodes and that's actually three full quarters. If Metalder had been cancelled, I think that would have been the end of the franchise.

I've read someone say that the book that comes with the Metalder box set mentioned that the show was canceled, and 37 was going to be the last episode, but there were delays with Jiraiya, so Toei allowed Metalder to finish out its storyline with two additional episodes. (38 and 39 weren't even written or directed by the main writer and director, but sub-writer Kunio Fujii and secondary director Kaneharu Mutsumura).

But that's second-hand info, and who wants to pay $500+ for the box-set to find out if that's right? I do think there's something to that, though, since 37 is the last episode done by main writer Susumu Takaku and main director Takeshi Ogasawara, and how 38 and 39 seem a tad different from what led up to it.

Mad Skillz
Well that's just all sorts of confusing. I would imagine at this point...well, was the Metal Heroes thing even a brand yet? I know "Super Sentai" didn't officially come into use until the time of Sun Vulcan, so was Toei just trying to fill the spot with another tokusatsu or was it already a brand? Though now that I think about it, they probably would have kept the franchise going no matter what, just to have at least one series that was completely in house.

Minato Ascending

What's with episode 25 that consistently scores the lowest rating in every sentai series? I really hope Go-busters won't drop again, and least of all drop lower than that disasterous 2.2 rating from last week. We've already seen Toei beginning to change the tone and the mood of the series from serious to a bit more comedic and even slap-stick; I wonder what they will do if Go-busters is heading toward the unsavory position of being the lowest-rated series in franchise history.

Status
Not open for further replies.