Insomniac has released a FAQ for their soon-to-be released title FUSE. One piece in particular stood out to us and that’s the removal of the online pass. Given that this title is being published by EA this is more than a pleasant surprise. It would be interesting to know if this decision was made by Insomniac or whether EA is dropping the online passes in general; our guess is EA will still support the online pass business model.
You can find the full FAQ below:
1. What is Fuse?
– Our new 4-player co-op shooter coming to the PS3 and 360 on May 28th!
2. What makes it special?
– Each of the four characters has their own unique xenotech weapons that were specifically designed to utilize and enhance cooperative play. This game was built from the ground up for co-op – not just to include co-op like most games.
3. So, I can play the entire game co-op with up to 3 of my friends?
– Yar. Or solo, or with one friend, or with two friends, etc.
4. Will it have drop-in/drop-out co-op?
– That it will. As long as you allow friends to join when you start your game – an online friend can easily jump into your game and immediately take over control of an AI bot in your game. No reloading or any mess like that.
5. I don’t trust the Internet, so I only have real friends. Is split screen available?
– Yes. You can play split-screen with one other person.
6. Can I play split-screen and have the other 2 characters be controlled by online friends.
7. I can still play the whole game solo, though?
– Naturally. Since the beginning of development we focused on making the AI bots helpful, but not kill stealing jerks. Plus, you can switch between any character at anytime with a push of a button (we call it the LEAP feature). So, yes – you still get a great experience solo.
8. Cool. Online pass?
– Nope. But, you should still buy it new to support us because there are no microtransactions to make up for it, though. 😀
9. Any other modes besides the story campaign?
– Yes, in addition to the full story based campaign, it has Echelon mode, which is an offensive wave-based co-petitive mode across 6 different maps. Also, bags of money fall from the sky. Just like real life.
10. Is it hard?
– It can get very hard – in a good way. You will need to perfect your co-op play in order to beat it. A true, fun challenge.
11. I saw the original Overstrike trailer. Why did you change the art style?
– The tone of the game shifted, so we shifted the art in order to match it. We wanted to go visceral with the weapons. The result is a better game. This type of thing always happens when evolving a new IP.
12. But, does it still have humor?
– Of course! It’s not as slap-sticky as before, in favor of dryer, more sophisticated humor, but the Insomniac vibe is still present.
13. And color?
– Technically, it’s impossible for something to not have color, but we get what you mean. Yes, it has color. In fact, we spent a lot of time in the final months putting a brighter pallet on the game. See for yourself in our newer screens.
14. Will there be a demo?
– *nods* There will be a public demo on both the 360 and PS3 closer to release.
15. Sweet! Where can I pre-order?
– Right here, my good sir/madam
16. And why are the characters heads cut off on the boxart?
– Because they weren’t wearing make-up that day. Also, the game’s core focus is on the Fuse-powered weapons and the way you can combo them with each other. So, we wanted to make them front and center.
17. Okay, one more question – Why don’t you guys make a new Spyro?
– Because he has no hands.