Your Top 10 most Influential Franchises of the Decade

unmei

Member
Gaming has had some pretty significant advancements since the 90s, and by 2020 I'm sure we'll see even more stuff that we never thought possible today. Since 2010's almost upon us, lets take a look back at the past decade of gaming and remember just what made these past years great. these can be anything from games that are personally influential to yourself, or games you feel were influential to the industry itself.

10: * vs Capcom
Be it Marvel, SNK, Tatsunoko or whatever else they want to throw in. Cap's mash-up franchise has been a damn good success, with MvC2, almost 10 years old now, still being one of the most played fighters to this day. Be they arcade, online, or just in a party, these easy to pick up, impossible to perfect fighters just have the lasting appeal that will keep them in the hearts of gamers well into the next decade of games.

09: Shenmue
Today being the 10 year anniversary of the original Japanese DC release, what's more fitting than looking back at one of the most revolutionary titles of it's day. The first game for me at least that truly had that cinematic feel to it, like you were actually playing out a movie yourself. Combine gorgeous visuals with a complex story and nightmareish QTEs before they became a true gaming standard. That games were so immerse that they made sure, by the end, we all knew where the sailors hang out.
*Honorable mention to Ryuu ga Gotoku/Yakuza

08: Devil May Cry
Not the first of it's kind, but definitely the franchise that newcomers are held up to, DMC gave us insane combos and button mashing stress relief, through waves of fodder, followed by often times epic boss battles, tied together with (debateably) interesting story arcs and plot twists. Sure the series itself has been surpassed many times over by other franchises. But this is the one that let others know that this is a viable genre for best selling games.

07: Silent Hill
Sure maybe RE is a more universally accept Survival Horror title, but Silent Hill is known for doing everything it's own way. When RE was throwing endless swarms of zombies and Spaniards at you, Silent Hill was focused more on atmospheric horror. Sure they had their share of enemies as well, but the setting, literally the town itself, was your true enemy. That to me was what set the games apart from all other Survival Horror games.

06: Halo
I'll admit it. I'm not a huge FPS fan, I'm not even a good FPS player when it comes to competitive multiplayer, as anyone who's played Halo3 with me online can attest to (I'm decent in co-op games though... TEAMWORK!) even I can't deny that Halo reinvented the way console based FPS games worked. Tight controls and the ability for lan parties showed everyone that FPSs COULD be pulled off on a console if you do it right, and everyone else followed suit. Halo wars changed how console based RTS games were played, whether or not people follow that is yet to be seen.

05: WoW
I'm not a huge fan of the franchise myself, but like Halo, there's no contesting the influence the game has had on gaming culture. It sales crushed the competition at the time, and after several expansions continues it's path of destruction through pretty much every other world as well. Wile I myself am more partial to games like CoX and Champions Online, those likely wouldn't exist if Blizzard hadn't shown everyone how it was done. A deep world, steeped in lore, and easy to play mechanics. That's what you need to make it against the endless stream of Free2Play out there.

04: Left4Dead
Capcom taught us that that Gamers like shooting Zombies.
Romero showed us that Zombies can be anywhere.
Valve proved that Games like shooting Zombies who can be anywhere.
A simple concept. 4 player co-op playing through a string of back to back zombie movies. Result: Brilliance. What prevented the game from getting on, randomly generated zombies, we never played the exact same game twice, which kept people killing Zombies well into the waking hours of the morning, when they went into hiding, and we went back to our daily lives, only for the attacks to continue again that night.

03: Uncharted
More of a personal favorite than something that's really had a huge impact on the gaming world, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 simply rank in my my personal top 10 games of all time. They were just great games. Fanboyness aside, Uncharted was one of the reasons I got a PS3 to begin with when it first came out. I've always been a fan of those old pulp adventure serials and that was exactly what this is. An unrealistic over the top adventure, with average every day people. If only the Indiana Jones games were even half this good.

02: Mass Effect
Space RPGs never really caught on before, despite being a great setting for a lot of other games. Sure you had the KOTOR games, with their pre-established universe which were on the whole, a decent series, but never came close to their true potential. Most other space themed RPGs are just a combination of fantasy themed planets, with minimal space exploration. BioWare, following on the success of their KoTOR games went and created a new universe all their own. They heavily played the Sci-Fi settings, having people explore uninhabitable worlds for resources, fight your way through armies of alien mercenaries, and even save the entire galaxy from a terrorist threat. They created a universe, and then gave you the whole damn thing. Even if you couldn't visit a specific planet, you learned about it's history. The amount of lore created for this franchise was epic, and the western RPG communities ate it up.

01: Neverwinter Nights
Another instance of BioWare revolutionizing the RPG genre, they opted to pack in a complete developers kit with every game, birthing a huge User Generated Content community, not just modifications done to the game's campaign, but a complete kid for creating your own world, with the ability to adjust the games core rules to your specific settings. 8 years down the line and the original NWN is still getting regular new campaigns, as is NEN2. This string of content pretty much guarantees that these games will never get old, until the last parts of the community die out. The idea worked so well that they continued the trend with the PC version of Dragon Age Origins. A game while I loved in it's own right, but I love even more with the new classes and specializations and maps that the community are creating.


So that's my list, what about yours? Don't have 10? That's fine, let me know about one franchise you think helped to revolutionize gaming, or just held an influence over yourself, in the last 10 years. Be it a new franchise, or a old franchise that was revised.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
10. World of Warcraft

I am not an MMO fan in the slightest. Ive only played about an hour of Warcraft 3 before getting bored and annoyed by it. Despite that, this game gets a spot on the list because very few game have reach the heights that WoW has. It took a niche gaming genre and made it known internationally. Some people may describe themselves as not being gamers, but if you ask if they play WoW, they will agree excitedly. Its gotten to a level that people dont consider it a game for some reason. Its that popular, even 4 years later. I never understood why myself but I have to give respect to Blizzard for creating a phenomenon. You know your game is gold when you ask someone what's one of their favorite Southpark episode and they answer the WoW ep. :laugh:

9. Max Payne.

Just the fact that this game attempted and accomplished the slo-mo bullet time effect better than even the Matrix games puts this game on the list. Every game since, including the Matrix games, have tried to put this game mechanic into their system, but somehow ends up being called a Max Payne knock-off. That says something. I played through both and was just amazed at not only the game mechanics, but the atmosphere it created with the visuals and the stylish comic book-type cutscenes. Couple that with great voice acting and you've got a pioneering action game.

8. FIFA Soccer

Ive played random sports games once in a while, some NBA live here, some NFL Street there. But, very few have caught my attention this decade like FIFA. Maybe its cuz its one of my favorite sports. Maybe its cuz of my endless competition with a buddy of mine. But, this is the sports game that I have tried my best to buy every iteration every year just to keep my skills sharp. And with every iteration, EA has come closer and closer to perfection, finding and tweaking every little thing to make the game feel more and more natural. Id take this over Madden ANYDAY.

7. Tekken

I used to love fighting games back in the 90s. Mortal Kombat 2 and Street fighter 2 were what me and my friends played constantly day in and day out. But, they started to fall in quality as iterations went by. And with that, I lost interest since not many games lived up to those in my eyes. Then I played Tekken 3. Im putting Tekken 3 in this as well cuz even though I played it earlier in the arcades, i never bought it till around 2001-2002 when I finally got a ps1 ( I know, :O_O:). I played 3D fighters like Virtua Fighter but they didnt feel right. This game blew my mind. The easy controls and depth in combos made this and the games to follow my fighting franchise of choice, and it has been ever since despite SF4.

6. Onimusha

I absolutely love this franchise. I havent played the first one but Ive played every one since, and I cant tell you how much I enjoyed cutting down countless enemies. And the fact that I had Oni powers made it all the more sweet. I loved finding and upgrading different weapons and skills. And the boss fights were intense. The only reason it isnt a bit higher on the list is because it didnt revolutionize the genre as much as the next game on my list.

5. Devil May Cry

Im an action junkie, whether its video games or movies. So, when I saw this hack and slash game where you wield both a sword and 2 pistols, I was hooked. Being able to pull off combos on the ground and in the air as well as using different types of weapons made this game an instant win for me. Even though God of War has upped the ante on the genre, DMC still gets mentioned when describing hack-and-slash action games.

4. Halo

Ive only played through the first game all the way through on the PC, and played the 2nd and 3rd ones online at a friends house, but this game has undoubtedly changed gaming as a whole. when i played the first one, I was in awe at the world Bungie created in this game. So much so that I went and read a few of the books published. Im also not the best FPS player, but damn, if i didnt get good at no-scope sniping fools in multi in Halo 1. It was that addicting. Not to mention this game sort of brought multiplayer gaming to the forefront of gaming in general. Definitely deserves to be on this list.

3. Uncharted

Like unmei, I had to put this on the list. I didnt buy the first one till a few months before Uncharted 2 released and I was very glad I did. Its a non-stop action adventure that grabs you and never lets you go. Very few games can match the way this series has melded story and action together. I wont say much more, but read/watch any review out there and you will see how good this game is. Better yet, if you can, go out and get these games. Its a must-have for any PS3 owner. I know that Ill be buying these games on day 1 for the next decade, at least.

2. Splinter Cell

Once again, I was a bit late to the Splinter Cell bandwagon, but that had a lot to do with it coming to the PS2 a while after the Xbox version. If Metal Gear introduced stealth espionage action, Splinter Cell took it to a different level with a different approach. Instead of mixing sneaking around with firefights, you relied more heavily on not being seen and avoiding enemies. In MGS, if you were spotted, you could get out of it with a few strategically, or randomly depending on how you play, slugs to the enemies' chest. and you could take some damage as Solid Snake. As Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell, once you were spotted, chances are you would be taken down for the count. Relying heavily on staying in the shadows and using your gadgets to either sneak by, knock unconscious, or kill your enemy, Splinter Cell made you become the badass spy you've always wanted to be.

1. Metal Gear Solid

I think its safe to say that this is one of the biggest franchises in the gaming industry. And for me, this franchise turned me into a serious gamer, despite being a gamer all my life. I started with MGS2: Substance cuz I totally missed the MGS1 and MGS2 boat when they arrived, since I got a ps1 and ps2 a few years after their respective releases. MGS2 wowed me all over. The story, no matter how wacky, sucked me right in. I played it nonstop multiple times. And that ending was such a mindfuck that I realized I had never played a game like this before. Now, that is just my account of the game. MGS2 in itself was a huge influence on storytelling in games because basically Kojima was letting everyone know that it was his story and he'll do whatever he wanted by making Raiden the main protagonist rather than long time front-runner Solid Snake.

MGS2 broke ground, MGS3 took it to the next level with a less wacky, but more intriguing storyline and a new environment to sneak around in: the jungle. and MGS4 rather successfully tied together 20 years of storytelling that seemed like they werent meant to be put together in the first place. It also introduce new game mechanics to the franchised and was the reason why I bought a PS3.
 
8. FIFA Soccer

Ive played random sports games once in a while, some NBA live here, some NFL Street there. But, very few have caught my attention this decade like FIFA. Maybe its cuz its one of my favorite sports. Maybe its cuz of my endless competition with a buddy of mine. But, this is the sports game that I have tried my best to buy every iteration every year just to keep my skills sharp. And with every iteration, EA has come closer and closer to perfection, finding and tweaking every little thing to make the game feel more and more natural. Id take this over Madden ANYDAY.

I'm down with FIFA for sure. Probably the only sports franchise I really care about anymore (Though PES is starting to look good again)
 
I'm down with FIFA for sure. Probably the only sports franchise I really care about anymore (Though PES is starting to look good again)

Me and my friend who I play FIFA with went to another friend's house and played PES 2008. Man, that game feels all kinds of janky compared to FIFA. maybe its just that we arent used to it. But I think Ill stick to FIFA.
 
Me and my friend who I play FIFA with went to another friend's house and played PES 2008. Man, that game feels all kinds of janky compared to FIFA. maybe its just that we arent used to it. But I think Ill stick to FIFA.

PES had about 5 years of suck. 2010 seems to be a step in the right direction though. Still not up to FIFA's standards, but it's an improvement, we'll see what 2011 brings.
 
I picked 5, for most influential. Not neccesarily the best, but the ones that really ruled their genres from 2000 to now, were. . .

1) Halo

2) Call of Duty

3) World of Warcraft

4) Madden

5) Star Wars
 
5) Star Wars

Any particular games of the franchise? They have everything from RPGs to Hack and Slash to shoot 'em ups to... Legos. None of them game I would personally consider influential on their genres, so much as carrying the name of a franchise that influenced almost everything. Just curious as to what you're thinking about there.
 
There isn't one in particular I have in mind. It's just the very things that you said that are behind my reasoning. That franchise has infiltrated every genre of games, in this decade. No franchise has pulled it off to that extent.
 
10. Infamous
This game was awesome! Also it was done really well. I mean a super hero open world game with a great story?!?!?! I mean come on! This is a must get for any PS3 owner.

9. Devil May Cry
This game franchise is a oldie but goody. I started out play DMC3 first then I went back and played the first 2. DMC4 was a good game but it could have been better. Lets look forward to DMC5!

8. Gears of War
This franchise took a new twist on a cover system for shooter games. I really like the GOW games, the story is intresting and the shooting is tight. I'm looking forward to GOW3

7. Ninja Gaiden
This is the go to ninja game! The Ryu Hayabusa story is so out there it makes it even cooler. This game wants you to hate it for it's difficultly but that hate turns into the desire to beat it just to show how good you are XD

6. Final Fantasy
I'm surprised I didn't see this franchise in anyones list. In all honesty I am not a big fan of FF but you must admit that it has a HUGE fan base. If your looking for a JRPG look no further >_>

5. Uncharted
The adventures of Nathan Drake and all the crazy things he goes though. In the first game we meet the young Nathan as he looks for Drakes fortune. In the seconend game we see Nathan looking for shambala and the tree of life. These games are awesome. The shooting in the first game were loose and not very responsive but they fixed that in game two. The story and puzzles in these games are just awesome.

4. Resident Evil
The classic zombie survival horror shooter..........just awesome. With RE4 and RE5 breathing new life into this series it is now back on a roll!

3. Mass Effect
A great in space RPG shooter! The Mass Effect game follows a human soldier named Shepard trying to fight a unknown evil in the galaxy. This is hands down my favorite RPG! Now we have to wait for ME2

2. Call of Duty
What else is ther to say? COD is the #1 real shooter.

1. Metal Gear Solid
I LOVE this franchies!!!!!! Snake is the bad ass action spy we all want to be. Like Inui Takumi I also started with MGS2 Substance. I played that game over and over and over again. Then I went back and play MGS1 and then I got MGS3 came out and with MGS3 we got the first MGO. I didn't get to play the fist MGO but then MGS4 came out. I love this series!

thats my list.......>_><_<......
 
10) Capcom VS. Series

This particular franchise has always been a fan-favorite, regardless of the mashup. 10 years after the game came out, MvC2 is still being played on a competitive level (Be sure to take a daily dose of DAT MANGO SENTINAL).

9) Final Fantasy

Be it Fabula Nova Crystallis, the first-ever direct sequel to a FF game in FFX-2, the cameos in Kingdom Hearts, the Compilation (and subsequent weeaboo-izing) of FFVII, or Dissidia, the Final Fantasy franchise definitely deserves a mention.

8) Call of Duty

What started out as another ho-hum WWII FPS transformed into a worldwide phenomenon around the 4th iteration in Modern Warfare. Not only did they switch things up and fast forward to how we fight these days, but a complete revamp of the multiplayer mode brought out a new generation of fans. It would only get better when MW2 came out, what with the addition of Death Perks.

7) Tekken

Although the core gameplay itself hasn't changed much (only a few tweaks here and there, as well as a complete retuning for some character animations), what keeps this game going IMO is the different personalities of each of the characters. From hot schoolgirls (Asuka, Lili, Xiaoyu) to hired guns (Nina, Dragunov, Bryan) to even "alien hunters" (lol Paul Phoenix), Tekken's cast is a nice melting pot of personality and various skills.

6) Mario

No real explanation needed. Nintendo's biggest cash cow still manages to rake it in after all these years. It seems that the pudgy plumber can do it all, from throwing parties to playing a good pickup game of streetball. Can't forget about Mario Kart, either.

5) Metal Gear Solid

I'll be honest; I didn't really get into MGS until I saw videos of MGS4 (Naomi didn't help matters much, either). Epic cutscenes, an injection of Kojima weirdness, and the ability to use a cardboard box as cover...such things help set this apart from other actions games of its type. After all, did Sam Fisher ever try knocking someone out by popping out of a cardboard box?

4) Uncharted

Naughty Dog struck paydirt with this game. Although a good majority of the gameplay was taken from other games (Gears of War's cover & shoot, MGS' stealth kills, reaction commands in the first game coming from KH, God of War, Dragon's Lair), it all comes together in one witty, exciting package. I still get chills attempting to evade a helicopter while hanging from the underside of a bridge. Plus, Nolan North's portrayal of Nathan Drake trumps even that of one particular architect...preferably, that one that carries a whip.

3) Devil May Cry

Pure. Unadulterated. Stylish action. That's what DMC is. Plus, the dual-wielding hack-n-slash devil hunter Dante only makes the package even better. It's also had its share of ups (DMC3) and downs (DMC2), but outside of that, I wouldn't think of any other person I'd have as a drinking buddy should a bar fight break out.

2) Guitar Hero

The air guitar is a thing of the past. Although it's been done before in Japan (Guitar Freaks), the GH franchise succeeded in reviving the careers of many bands (after GH Aerosmith came out, their record sales saw a sudden jump, and I know I was at a record store trying to find a good compilation of Sabbath songs as well as Judas Priest). Who knew a plastic toy instrument could do so much?

1) Street Fighter

There's no question. For me, the Street Fighter franchise would always be a mainstay. Comics, Anniversary Editions, the Alpha Anthology, Special Edition arcade sticks, and finally...Street Fighter IV. Nobody thought it would be done, but it finally happened. People who haven't played a Street Fighter since Champion Edition (or for some, the hacked versions you saw in some arcades) picked this one up. I can't wait for SSFIV to come out in the coming fiscal year.

That's my Top 10.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top