Why toei use silly items as themes for every neo heisei kamen rider series?

And i forgot one thing i understand why Joe odagiri won't reprise his role as kuuga because the toei's tokusatsu franchise is acting like a toy commercials nowadays unlike the productions days of kuuga.

No, that's not it. At all. I feel like we've gone over this at least 20 times before. Joe Odagiri is not coming back because he is an incredibly busy and incredibly successful actor. Plus, he didn't really have a good time filming Kuuga and got by only because the producer of the show, who has since left Toei, kept him going.

I'm looking forward to you forgetting this again when you make your next thread though.

Yeah i know but i thought this might be one of another reasons why he doesn't reprise his role as kuuga in any crossover films.

You know what i think, After reading both of your comments I think Toei should focus on the stories for the next super sentai and kamen rider series rather than the silly things bandai comes up with like 'fashion' for example and let them make the story revolving around it
The whole controversy with Kamen Rider Hibiki has made it very clear that Bandai expect to get their money's worth as sponsors. TV shows are expensive to make. They cost tens of thousands of dollars per episode. If Bandai aren't paying for it, Toei would have to find a massive amount of money to continue making the show on their own (let's make the math simple, $10,000 per episode, 50 episodes, that's half a million dollars!) and unless they could guarantee they'd somehow make their money back they wouldn't even try - they are a business at the end of the day.

And as I said before, it's regular, reliable money. Doing Rider and Sentai allows Toei to make other things that are perhaps less likely to make their money back.
It didn't happen to ultraman and the first kamen rider and super sentai series during the 70's including Black,Kuuga and Garo (though the latter one becomes a cash cow franchise but at least the company cares about the story rather than what toei did with super sentai and kamen rider )
Erm, Ultraman's last series was Ginga/Ginga S, which is all about collecting litle vinyl figures of the characters. The upcoming series is all about trading cards. Garo doesn't even try to aim for the Rider/Sentai audience - it airs at 1am and is marketed at existing (grown up) toku fans. Even then it continues mainly because it's creator isn't afraid to use the clout he's built up over his career (and even then after the first series ended it took him three years to convince anyone to let him continue with it).

70s Rider had much larger ratings and even then it lasted five years and died...came back for two years and died...came back for another two years and died... Let's not get started on the 90s Riders that tried to appeal to the grown-up fans of the original and failed hard.
i mean this process is similar to what Takara Tomy' did with their product line Tomica toy cars with their tokusatsu series franchise called Tomica Hero Series
You do realise that the Tomica Hero franchise lasted for just two series? One of the main reasons it died was that it just couldn't compete with Sentai and Rider. I don't think the way forwards for any franchise that has endured for decades is to start mimicking a franchise that they helped killed off.
You know, after the 20th heisei anniversary, do you think this whole collectible gimmicks are still going to be in? I can see that things are getting more compact and mobile. Perhaps toys will be streamline or something.
Sadly not. Japan's birth rate is spiralling ever-downwards, which means if you're locked into selling toys to children you have to squeeze more money out of each one to compensate for there being less of them. It may change however. I think as the age at which children get phones seems to get ever younger, we may eventually see a franchise switch to having their heroes use a phone app to transform, so they can sell that to kids and then charge them for extra DLC.
And i forgot one thing i understand why Joe odagiri won't reprise his role as kuuga because the toei's tokusatsu franchise is acting like a toy commercials nowadays unlike the productions days of kuuga.
I don't think that's ever been a factor. Plus Kuuga had more forms than any other Rider until Double. That's a lot of action figures to sell to kids. Most of them also had their own unique weapon for Bandai to sell as toys.

Sadly not. Japan's birth rate is spiralling ever-downwards, which means if you're locked into selling toys to children you have to squeeze more money out of each one to compensate for there being less of them. It may change however. I think as the age at which children get phones seems to get ever younger, we may eventually see a franchise switch to having their heroes use a phone app to transform, so they can sell that to kids and then charge them for extra DLC.

That actually sounds interesting. But not sure how it will be on the long run. (I can actually see this happening in not too distant future)

The whole controversy with Kamen Rider Hibiki has made it very clear that Bandai expect to get their money's worth as sponsors. TV shows are expensive to make. They cost tens of thousands of dollars per episode. If Bandai aren't paying for it, Toei would have to find a massive amount of money to continue making the show on their own (let's make the math simple, $10,000 per episode, 50 episodes, that's half a million dollars!) and unless they could guarantee they'd somehow make their money back they wouldn't even try - they are a business at the end of the day.

And as I said before, it's regular, reliable money. Doing Rider and Sentai allows Toei to make other things that are perhaps less likely to make their money back.

I guess this is why bandai is in charge is choosing the every theme for kamen rider and super sentai shows due to hibiki's troubled production i think.

Erm, Ultraman's last series was Ginga/Ginga S, which is all about collecting litle vinyl figures of the characters. The upcoming series is all about trading cards. Garo doesn't even try to aim for the Rider/Sentai audience - it airs at 1am and is marketed at existing (grown up) toku fans. Even then it continues mainly because it's creator isn't afraid to use the clout he's built up over his career (and even then after the first series ended it took him three years to convince anyone to let him continue with it).

So Bandai also turn ultraman into a toy commercial as well (merchandise driven) because they inserted toy figures and now trading cards into the shows right? I mean past ultraman series didn't repeat that, right? and as for garo of course its aimed at older audience at least they are now merchandise driven except they are now a cash cow franchise that spawned many season's,spinoff's and even a anime spinoff (probably a prequel)

You do realise that the Tomica Hero franchise lasted for just two series? One of the main reasons it died was that it just couldn't compete with Sentai and Rider. I don't think the way forwards for any franchise that has endured for decades is to start mimicking a franchise that they helped killed off.

That's true but at least the shows are great because they admit they are really merchandise driven shows by the toy company themselves because of the title and this is the show which i like because it reveals their true selves as a half entertainment and a half toy commercial which was their only purpose not like kamen rider and sentai who were once full entertainment but now downgraded as half entertainment and a half toy commercial who are logner their old selves. Guess its too bad there won't be another tomica hero show in the future it was a good one.

I don't think that's ever been a factor. Plus Kuuga had more forms than any other Rider until Double. That's a lot of action figures to sell to kids. Most of them also had their own unique weapon for Bandai to sell as toys.

You know saying that Japan's birth rate is spiralling ever-downwards that is so sad and you maybe right that kids are beginning to get attracted to phones and if that happens bandai will probably have to make a smartphone themed rider and sentai shows with toei that kids will have to buy their products which is smartphone themed.

Last edited:
Sierra Hotel India Echo Lima Delta
The only thing I hate about Kamen Rider's toy-driven nature is that it's more MOTIF-driven than ACTION-driven. Take the Fourze Driver and the Astroswitches for example, they're impractical as hell!

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
From what I've figured out over watching this stuff for the past few years, Kamen Rider is co-owned by both Toei & Bandai. Bandai provides all the art design, tech & such- at least for the heroes. Whatever writers are hired for Rider that year do have correspondence with Bandai's design team over what they want to do, but things are regularly conflicted because the design team ultimately wants to design things from the perspective of it being a toy & being relatively simple to use, market & understand.

I think the silliness, however, comes from the design team running out of ideas & just jumping for any kind of theme anyone can think of & designing the line around that. Plus, Toei's writers probably aren't helping because they've run out of ideas too & usually seem to just let Bandai call the shots. The exception was Gaim where Urobouchi actually had a decent idea, but I think it backfired in the respect that it was so good, the other writers have just decided they can't possibly top that & have given up. Either that, or they're now trying to save up whatever good ideas they do have to use later.

But, when Bandai gives the writers silly stuff, their first thoughts are silly characters, silly situations &, ultimately, a silly show.

If anything, I think Bandai should look back into Ishinomori's concept artbooks of Riders (if there is such thing) for future ideas. Chase was a good example (for me) that feels very classic yet with a modern twist in terms of a KR character concept.