Why toei use silly items as themes for every neo heisei kamen rider series?

With fashion theme as the next theme for kamen rider 2015 it leaves me one doubt, Whenever ◆FIqyFr3nB of 4chan says about possible themes for kamen rider which are silly but turned out to be true it left me to wonder about toei unlike how it did to super sentai when it once focus on a rumoured possible theme before focusing on the next one which turns real eg-Niningers rumored theme was flying birds similar like jetman but focus on ninjas instead with 'excitement' .They stick with the rumoured item for kamen rider which turns real such as the rumoured but silly turned real for gaim called fruits and for the next series 'Fashion'

I know both toei and bandai use gen urobuchi to give seriousness to the fruit slicing gimmick but why would they use silly items like fashion for example heck who knows what silly items will they do next for future riders such as

a television rider

a medical rider (which would work )

a bathroom rider

A painter rider

A bottle rider

A snack rider (well similar to one use for a sentai member)

A dental rider

A soda rider

A wi fi rider

A tailor rider

A grocery shop rider

A bakery rider

A health inspector rider

or A bed rider

Why couldn't he use suitable serious items like

a cyborg nanobot rider.

A tron digital theme rider

a adventurer indiana jones rider (like boukenger)

A bird/plane rider?

A rescue team rider

A ninja rider?

How come Bandai/Toei focus on silly items is it because they always focus on marketing for kids rather than story just like how hasbro did to transformers ,How lego did to bionicles and ninjago and how Playmates does to Ninja turtles which although it didn't affect the story.

I mean if bandai cares about marketing for children with silly items in the form of super heroes rather than the true blood of the story within the franchise how about they should do what Tomy the japanese toy company did with Tomica Hero franchise and leave the kamen rider series alone and not let it have silly items as hero themes and let it have serious themes like how black and kuuga did and not to imitate what super sentai did. But what can we do Bandai is the fuel of both the toei tokusatsu franchise like kamen rider and super sentai and it's as if that toy company now owns BOTH franchise

Last edited:
How come Bandai/Toei focus on silly items is it because they always focus on marketing for kids...
Yes. Yes it is. That's your answer.

Bandai clearly believe that the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai brand names help sell the toys (there's lots of studies supposedly indicating that parents are more likely to choose familiar brand names when buying for their kids). So they license the names and "sponsor" the shows - i.e. pay Toei to make them. In return they expect Toei to produce what is basically a half hour commercial aimed at small children. Bandai also buy up the space in the commercial breaks so that they're filled with actual toy ads.

Gen Urobuchi mentioned in an interview that after accepting the job to write a Rider series his first appointment with Toei was a meeting to decide on the series' theme. It turned out this "meeting" was actually a Bandai rep telling them what their theme was, then showing them the concept art for the Rider suits and other toys they would have to turn into a show. All the design work was Bandai-lead, and Toei just wrap it up in something that will keep kids staring at the merchandise longer.

While most of us on here would probably agree that we wish Rider and Sentai were less toy focussed, we also have to remember that this is why they've survived so long. They are regular, reliable sources of money and so Toei have kept at it instead of dropping them like Metal Hero or the Fushigi Comedy series so that they could try something else.

It's not so much that there are a lot of toys. It's that... they've just gotten stupider and stupider, and really inhibit everything else in the shows, such as action, plot, etc. Sometimes you'll have writers who can make it work (Who'd have thought that a fruit Rider would've turned out not half bad?) but the rest of the time, the show becomes dumber because the toys they're plugging are dumb. Actually the toys themselves may not be dumb, but shoehorning them into whatever story the writer may want to tell make it dumber. Not to mention many of them get forgotten soon afterward, perhaps because even the writers don't want to deal with them.

Drive and Goseiger I think are the worst examples of this. Literal toy cars? Who could take that seriously? I've said it before, but you could've had a key gimmick and it would've worked so much better while still going with the car theme. (Plus it'd have been funny after a year of padlocks.) Goseiger: angels who need to use arcade cards to do the simplest tricks? No... that's a horrible idea. Angels and cards don't mix. But because Bandai willed it, Toei is stuck with the material they're given.

What's sad is, I used to like the talking belts in Rider. Why? Because they sounded cool; they only said one or two words at a time in a "machine-like" voice. It arguably started with Den-O, but with OOO the belts officially became so obnoxious and blatant in their toyishness. Instead of single words, they now have to do a whole song-and-dance number or repeat words twice for no reason (like in W and Fourze). It really takes away from dramatic moments when they do this. Though granted, the shows do seem to be trying to tone that down toward the middle of the run.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Who could take that seriously?
Ooh! Me me me me! Right here! I'll take anything that isn't a comedy seriously!
No... that's a horrible idea. Angels and cards don't mix.
Anything can work, it is all about execution.

Ooh! Me me me me! Right here! I'll take anything that isn't a comedy seriously!

What if the Nolan Batman movies had Lucius Fox invent little toy cars for Bruce to use to unlock abilities in the Batsuit?

Anything can work, it is all about execution.

Well I said that, didn't I? Gaim managed to work because of Urobochi. I'd hate to think how another writer might have worked with the fruit locks.

And no, angels should not be using arcade cards. They're "super beings", if not supernatural then at least aliens. When I see Eri needing to use a card just to conjure a simple tornado to blow Nozomu toward her, it makes her look absurd.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
What if the Nolan Batman movies had Lucius Fox invent little toy cars for Bruce to use to unlock abilities in the Batsuit?
Batman and Kamen Rider have different themes, settings, and ideas that stick close to their franchises.
And no, angels should not be using arcade cards. They're "super beings", if not supernatural then at least aliens
Why can't alien technology have cards?
it makes her look absurd.
You could say that about anything. "Superman is bullet proof!" "Hey that's absurd!" Calling anything ridiculous/absurd is pointless.

..... Do you really want a Fruit Themed Sentai team......?

.... To be serious though, I thought it was to differentiate them much more from Sentai. But a lot of other seasons have themes that aren't "out there" like magic or cards, or technological based Rider.