Why Super Sentai and Kamen Rider feel like anime?

To me, the anime takeover of Sentai began with probably Gaoranger, and with Rider it got really bad with Den-O.

I think there's a variety of factors. I think one is just laziness -- the whole "lul, kidz show = cartoon, let's just make it all a cartoon."

I think one reason is how gimmicky the modern shows have become being a result of the Pokemon craze -- it was a bad sign when tokusatsu started incorporating monster pals and cards and stuff like that, merging something that was popular from anime with live-action.

I think one reason is that, when you compare old toku to new toku, a lot of the staff -- directors and writers -- of, say, '70s and '80s shows had backgrounds in live-action drama shows as well as anime. (Most had cop shows on their resume, which I think contributed to the kind of procedural feel a lot of those early shows have.) All of the writers nowadays come from a strictly anime background, and I think a lot of them have trouble adapting to live-action stuff, so they just treat it like an anime.

Another thing that's not helping is that a lot of the actors who are working in toku now were raised on anime, so that will affect how they act. There was a time where you'd read an interview with a toku actor and they'd inevitably be asked what their favorite hero show was and they'd mention a toku. Now they'll mention an anime. I mean, I think you can tell that if you look at the actors for Go-on Red or Kyoryu Red -- they're trying their hardest to act like cartoons come to life.

Also -- CGI. The lazy reliance of CGI -- which turns ANYTHING into basically Who Framed Roger Rabbit -- has given the shows a real cartoon-likeness to them. CGI has killed any creativity that goes into Sentai or Rider finisher attacks -- they'll all just be that blurry anime battle background, and that just sucks. I mean, think of the swordplay or martial-arts finishers of old compared to the lame-o blurry-lined, characters in a static pose Saint Seiya **** they always do now. It's something you really notice if you were a fan of the action-oriented shows of old; I've always been into the action of these shows -- I love the Japan Action Club. But they don't really get to do much of anything now, just wave a toy and let CGI and greenscreen do the rest.

I mean, toku would often have some over-the-top slapstick, some cartoony gag -- think of somebody being in an explosion and they blow a puff of cigarette smoke -- but definitely not to the extent that the millennium shows have taken it with the humor and fight scenes. There's SO many toku shows now that I can watch and picture as an anime, and that's just wrong.
 
Well, some people (including me) think that Maskman had a lot of elements from the Romance Robo trilogy, so it may have kinda started way before Gao.
 
Well, some people (including me) think that Maskman had a lot of elements from the Romance Robo trilogy, so it may have kinda started way before Gao.

Elements or themes is one thing. (I personally think Maskman owes a bit to Hokuto no Ken, too.) I'm talking about the whole it looks like a cartoon, people are acting like cartoons, it has the format of a cartoon. (To give an example, I'll always think of the Infelshia Gods storyline in Magiranger. That was just total Saint Seiya sort of stuff, live-action trying to be anime.)
 
Another thing that's not helping is that a lot of the actors who are working in toku now were raised on anime, so that will affect how they act. There was a time where you'd read an interview with a toku actor and they'd inevitably be asked what their favorite hero show was and they'd mention a toku. Now they'll mention an anime. I mean, I think you can tell that if you look at the actors for Go-on Red or Kyoryu Red -- they're trying their hardest to act like cartoons come to life.

I think this can also extent to people on the forums who actually expect tokus to be like the animes they watch and thus are unfazed when people on screen behave in ways that are far more suiting a cartoon than live-action.
 
You wanna know why Super sentai and kamen rider franchise behave like a live action anime well I’ll tell you why because they were made by some crew members who work at anime and it started in the 70s when they are co created by manga artist shotaro ishinomori ,the toei tokusatsu series were anime like when you watch every shows of it and also families watch them and when you watcha toei tokusatsu series you can imagine what they are like if they are in anime think about it imagine kamen rider (1971) the first one in the anime form similar to Genshi Shonen Ryuu (1971) the one ishinomori created,Imagine Goranger and Kamen rider (skyrider) in the anime form of Cyborg 009 (1979) based on the manga ishinomori created or Hyoga Senshi Gaislugger,Imagine Battlehawk and Aztecaser is in the anime of go nagai's anime from the 70s like mazinger for example since go nagai co created those two tokusatsu series ,Imagine Kamen rider wizard in the form of Yu gi oh anime series since one of them once worked for yu gi oh franchise,Imagine Kyoryuger in the anime form of Digimon since the writer work for the digimon anime franchise and Imagine Kamen rider Gaim in the anime form of Fate/zero and Fate/Apocrypha anime series because it is written by gen urobuchi
But the only tokusatsu series that didn’t behave like some anime series are the other tokusatsu drama series not made by toei,GARO and Ultraman because this franchise was created by the special effects designer of Godzilla Eiji tsuburaya.
 
Last edited:
guys, he is not saying was super sentai and kamen rider been done into an anime, he is saying is tokusatsu like anime. which i can say yes, tokusatsu can be considered live action anime and that includes monster movies like godzilla as well.

i think they can also be considered live action manga considering shotaro ishinomori created manga before he started to create heroes for toei to create shows into, like for example skull man which was one of the factors for creating kamen rider as it was his original vision for what kamen rider was suppose to be.
 
.............. Yeah I have never gotten an anime feel from any toku aside from maybe Akibarangers so....
 
guys, he is not saying was super sentai and kamen rider been done into an anime, he is saying is tokusatsu like anime. which i can say yes, tokusatsu can be considered live action anime and that includes monster movies like godzilla as well.

i think they can also be considered live action manga considering shotaro ishinomori created manga before he started to create heroes for toei to create shows into, like for example skull man which was one of the factors for creating kamen rider as it was his original vision for what kamen rider was suppose to be.
He is right you know and no godzilla is not a anime like movie its just a regular special effect monster drama movie anyway you can see some of my fan arts of the toei tokusatsu series in anime form: http://joey2132132.deviantart.com/gallery/ especially these few:http://barneyjones123.deviantart.com/art/araki-shigeru-memorial-cartoon-3-311253902
http://barneyjones123.deviantart.com/art/Kamen-rider-towards-40-years-prototype-285670195
http://barneyjones123.deviantart.com/art/Kamen-rider-towards-40-years-284863033
http://barneyjones123.deviantart.com/art/KR-X-SS-Funny-cartoon-forms-284865902
 
Last edited:
When I first started down this rabbit hole of latex wearing adults, the thought crossed my mind, "This is live action anime!" I think this concept has a lot to do with the dynamics of, not only the writing, but the execution of the writing as well. Coupled with the fact that many tokusatsu writers have written for anime at one point in time, I see how one would think that tokusatsu is a live action anime. From the acting, to the characters clothing (looking more like cosplay, than something anyone would actually wear), to the fighting sequences, tokusatsu is very much, a live action anime!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top