Why I don't like Tokkyuger / TokQger / Togger / Whatever

Black Ranger RX

I don't have low self esteem.
Okay so Togger has premiered last February in Japan. These days I'm not very good at keeping up with the latest Toku and unsurprisingly the same goes with Togger.

So I downloaded episode 3, watched it with the 2 previous episodes that I had on my hard drive for some time (in order of course), and I've come to the conclusion that I can't make it past 3 episodes.

There are many reasons why I didn't like Togger. One reason is that the story is poorly layed out and doesn't make any sense. Sure I was ignoring the English subtitles and trying to listen to the Japanese (I hate subtitles but that's another topic), but at first we had these kids doing sports and other random stuff while the narrator says all this **** about imagination, then this train appears and captures the kids and they're inside, crying, and this unscary and unfunny monster keeps encouraging them to cry more because he just enjoys listening to kids crying, and suddenly he hears the Red Ranger snoozing and tries to wake him up only for him to eat his hand thinking he is food.

Then the Tokkyugers appear without any explaination on how they got their powers and stuff and start attacking the monster and his minions. Red Ranger (not yet being a Ranger or a Togger or whatever yet) randomly decides to get involved and start attacking the monster...

At first, something that I like to call BrainFart music played in my brain. It sounded kinda like this.. :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4zoeNA6fnQ"]Technical Difficulties Please Stand By - YouTube[/ame]

But in order to make any sense out of the story I had to play episode 1 once again and skip to specific bits. I hate having to do that. I hate it when they try to mix the storyline up. Sure this isn't the first time this has happened but it gives me the impression that I'm just watching a load of random **** happen on a TV screen. It's like watching a bloody Glico commercial or a YouTube poop!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29VGZtnCD30"]Funny Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

I dunno, maybe I'm a bit too used to MMPR Season 1, which is surprising for a (former) Sentai Snob. Maybe I shouldn't expect all Power Rangers, Super Sentai and similar shows to follow the same order as MMPR, but at least give me a storyline that makes sense. Coz even in the most classic English, of even if I was super fluent in Japanese Togger doesn't make sense.


But moving swiftly on, another thing I don't like about Togger is the characters. For example, the idiot with the stupid monkey puppet is annoying. Everytime he goes "IMAGINAAAAAAAAAATION!!!!" I just want to kick him in the nads. Tokkyu Pink also pisses me off. She has an annoying voice and when she does her "I can do it!! I am strong!! SUUUUUPERGIRL!!!" ****, I just with Penn Jillette would make an appearance in the show and tell her to..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxIiMWQgKA"]Penn: Shut the **** up - YouTube[/ame]

Also the narrator pisses me off too. "TOKKYUUU ICHIGO!!! TOKKYUUUU SANGO!!! TOKYUUUU.." Where's Penn when you need him?

The icing on the cake was Togger's theme. Every Sentai has a unique theme, in Togger's case it's Trains, and that's pretty much what I don't like. It's train motif. At the time when Togger was comming soon I was willing to give it a chance. I was alway willing to accept that the Togger's robo looks like crap (especially with it's train boner), but.. I dunno, I guess it just wore off. Kinda like Gokaiger's Pirate theme.

And speaking of which, I wish they would stop changing each other's colours. It's stupid. It also reminds me of Gokaiger's annoying constant chaning of suits.

It's music is also annoying but that's not saying much as most Super Sentai music from 2005 up is annoying too.

Togger also has the worst Ending sequence in Super Sentai history. Pictures of random trains with the Toggers posing like a bunch of morons and pulling stupid faces. It makes me wish I had a slingshot.

2 more things to say.. 1: Toei were bored when they were making this series. 2: Toei noticed that Power Rangers were eons behind Sentai, so they decided to make a lame Sentai that won't appeal to a Western audiance so Saban could skip this series if they wanted to. As for the skipping Go-Busters stuff.. I'm just taking that with a grain of salt. Also if Go-Busters had poor ratings and poor toy sales why did they later sell them in Korea and Hong Kong?

So yeah... To sum it up Togger is a lame Sentai. If other people like it, cool. If other people don't like it, also cool. I'm just stating my opinion, freedom of speech, etc. If you want to post your opinions, feel free to do so!!

Have a nice day!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Um okay,

While I know this is your opinion, you shouldn't be judging a story based on the first episode. If you kept watching, you'd know they addressed backstory stuff later on. The first episode was about introducing the concepts and toys and though it was heavy on that I felt like it was pretty easy to follow. I mean seriously, it was really basic, I don't know what you mean by "mix the story up".

Also some of your complaints seem to be aimed towards the Japanese train system as a whole. You might find it annoying, but I personally think the norikae stuff and the roll-call are pretty great thematically.

I feel like this series is extremely over-the-top with colour and fun so it's definitely not a boring series for me. The train concept is something kids will enjoy, so unfortunately for you, it most likely will be coming to America.

Finally, this post is basically just an attack on all the things you find are terrible about the show presentation-wise and not really a good argument for why you dislike the show so much. There's not much to argue here. It's just "this aesthetic sucks, this pacing sucks, that music sucks" - your first complaint is basically a summary of the first 2 minutes of the first episode. Maybe this would have been better as a general ToQger opinion topic?
 
Last edited:
Well.

...

I'm detecting very earthy hints, a touch of raspberry and summer fruits. Quite fine red grape stock - very reminiscent of the vineyards of East Normandy.
 
Then the Tokkyugers appear without any explaination on how they got their powers and stuff and start attacking the monster and his minions. Red Ranger (not yet being a Ranger or a Togger or whatever yet) randomly decides to get involved and start attacking the monster...

You must hate a lot of Sentai shows, because this is basically how most of them start out.
Most Sentai shows, especially those from the 80's and 90's usually follow the "action first, explanation later" pattern, and usually the characters are just like "I have no idea what this is all about, but I will fight!"

Also the narrator pisses me off too. "TOKKYUUU ICHIGO!!! TOKKYUUUU SANGO!!! TOKYUUUU.." Where's Penn when you need him?

Um... Thats what most train announcements sound like. Never heard "Aaaaall aboooard!"?

Togger also has the worst Ending sequence in Super Sentai history. Pictures of random trains with the Toggers posing like a bunch of morons and pulling stupid faces. It makes me wish I had a slingshot.

Those are not random trains. They are different trains that are used on different lines or in different regions of Japan.
As a train lover myself, I actually like that they are showing trains the represent different areas in the country.

Also if Go-Busters had poor ratings and poor toy sales why did they later sell them in Korea and Hong Kong?

Because it costs a lot more to produce half of your own footage than it does to simply dub the whole thing.
It was Bandai's advice that Saban should skip Go-Busters to promote the dinosaur theme instead, which I see as a no-brainer, considering we are doing the whole anniversary thing.
Also, the Sentai toys are not selling that much in Hong Kong to begin with (unsure about Korea) It is nowhere near as big as the Power Rangers brand is in the US.
So Bandai have nothing to lose. Its not their prime market.
 
Last edited:
Togger also has the worst Ending sequence in Super Sentai history. Pictures of random trains with the Toggers posing like a bunch of morons and pulling stupid faces. It makes me wish I had a slingshot.

Um... Thats what most train announcements sound like. Never heard "Aaaaall aboooard!"?

Those are not random trains. They are different trains that are used on different lines or in different regions of Japan.
As a train lover myself, I actually like that they are showing trains the represent different areas in the country.

I would have preferred the ending be the cast either riding in those trains or do trainspotting in real time rather than in those cartoony backgrounds. As it is though, I'll still take it over silly dancing.

And speaking as a rail enthusiast myself, not only do the Ressha designs severely disappoint (even the clunky Travelion and KyoretsuOh look better), but they go overboard with the station announcement-style and all. Just because you're about trains doesn't mean you have to literally mimic every aspect of railroading.
 
You must hate a lot of Sentai shows, because this is basically how most of them start out.
Most Sentai shows, especially those from the 80's and 90's usually follow the "action first, explanation later" pattern, and usually the characters are just like "I have no idea what this is all about, but I will fight!"

Gokaiger and Go-Onger I particularly hate (with Togger being added to the list). SunVulcan I don't so much hate but merely don't like because it's boring. Some others I like while some others I don't really have a strong opinion on.

Sure Liveman was confusing but at least the first episode was exciting to watch, which for Togger it was not so.

Another thing I forgot to rant about is the villians. Back in the 80's they had much better villians, even a Japanese dude with his face covered in blue make up is more scarier and more evil looking than some dude dressed in some blobby plastic suit.

Um... Thats what most train announcements sound like. Never heard "Aaaaall aboooard!"?

Yeah but do we really need it for a narrator?

Those are not random trains. They are different trains that are used on different lines or in different regions of Japan.
As a train lover myself, I actually like that they are showing trains the represent different areas in the country.

Yeah but for a Super Sentai ED it's still lame.

Yes I know, it's a Japanese kids show and me being a British adult this show is not meant for me.. but what IS meant for me? Shitty reality TV shows? No way man!! I'd rather criticize a Japanese kids show than watch a shitty reality TV show.

Because it costs a lot more to produce half of your own footage than it does to simply dub the whole thing.
It was Bandai's advice that Saban should skip Go-Busters to promote the dinosaur theme instead, which I see as a no-brainer, considering we are doing the whole anniversary thing.

Do you think Bandai's advice next would be to jump back to Go-Busters after Saban were done with Kyoryuger? I mean, how the hell is Train Boner going to sell?
 
Dairanger and Kakuranger were also both action first explain later. I think Scissors has a point that a lot of Sentai series are like that.
 
Um... Thats what most train announcements sound like. Never heard "Aaaaall aboooard!"?

In real life? Never. :laugh:
Usually when I use the MBTA, all I tend to hear is either:
- "Train to ___ will arrive in __ minutes!" (This one has subsets that go like: "20", "10", "5" that counts down)
- "Train to __ is approaching!"
- "Train to __ is arriving!"

Sure Liveman was confusing but at least the first episode was exciting to watch, which for Togger it was not so.

Liveman's debut is amazing.

Another thing I forgot to rant about is the villians. Back in the 80's they had much better villians, even a Japanese dude with his face covered in blue make up is more scarier and more evil looking than some dude dressed in some blobby plastic suit.
:buttrock:
 
It's very premature to call it a bad Sentai when we're only eight episodes and one crossover special in, might I add. Not that it will stop me from trying anyway!

Still, I don't really blame you if you're not having a blast with this show thus far. I can't say I am either, but I don't share your grievances. Chiefly, while I'm not afraid of a wacky, goofy show, TOQger is the worst kind of wacky goofiness, bereft of anything clever or endearing, that I'm struggling to derive much, if any, entertainment out of. It culminates in what the show passes for fight sequences, which do nothing to completely write off the villains as anything remotely close to a threat.

No, seriously, did the Shadows get on the wrong train? I say that, because amidst everything else in this show, they lack congruence, as if the Gaiark ministers were supposed to be at this stop instead, and the Shadows are merely biding time before their actual train arrives. At the direction this show is in as of the seven episodes and one crossover special I have watched so far, the Shadows are wasted on these guys.

Characters have the chemistry and charm of pebbles lying on the ground, and character plots and interactions feel horribly forced. Like the last episode I've watched with Hikari and Kagura. The whole episode is a case study of contrivance, not helped by the weird dissonance between Hikari and TOQ4. And of course, Kagura. She has her fans, but I'm unlikely to be one of them, from what I've seen of her. I know she's essentially still a kid in a teenage body - presumably - but it doesn't mean I enjoy seeing one of our heroes for the year as someone with the mental age of a five-year old (which she probably has!) devolving into an emotional wreck at the sight of the most trivial disputes ever.

Obnoxious, forced and phoned in. That's how I can describe this show. I've given it chances, but it hasn't clicked and I'm fine with that. It's not like this is very unique I suppose; Super Sentai has this tendency of losing me after the first bunch of episodes, right when the novelty has worn out and it's a waiting game for the sixth ranger, and for the plot to get here. But TOQger feels so particularly phoned in, down to the little things like those gummy bear cars from Car Carrier Ressha. I can also picture Kobayashi staring into the abyss - her creative spark and willpower already spent, and only here because Toei couldn't find anyone else willing this year and just dragged her in because she did Den-O.

Because this show takes the train theme a bit too literally, I will put this in terms that the show will understand. I am getting off at this stop. I will mind the gap between the train and the platform.
 
It's very premature to call it a bad Sentai when we're only eight episodes and one crossover special in, might I add. Not that it will stop me from trying anyway!

Still, I don't really blame you if you're not having a blast with this show thus far. I can't say I am either, but I don't share your grievances.

Obnoxious, forced and phoned in. That's how I can describe this show. I've given it chances, but it hasn't clicked and I'm fine with that. It's not like this is very unique I suppose; Super Sentai has this tendency of losing me after the first bunch of episodes, right when the novelty has worn out and it's a waiting game for the sixth ranger, and for the plot to get here. But TOQger feels so particularly phoned in, down to the little things like those gummy bear cars from Car Carrier Ressha. I can also picture Kobayashi staring into the abyss - her creative spark and willpower already spent, and only here because Toei couldn't find anyone else willing this year and just dragged her in because she did Den-O.

Because this show takes the train theme a bit too literally, I will put this in terms that the show will understand. I am getting off at this stop. I will mind the gap between the train and the platform.

Actually no, its not to early if you really stop to think about it. Mnay a people feel the same way. Also you get one chance to make a first impression and some of those impressions hold water.

Just look at Oculus, Ultraman Neos/2013 (the new one was so shitty) or Shaider Uchuu Keiji for other example. Why they are not all toku I did pull out halfway through them. People to realize that you don't have to watch all 900 episodes to formulate an opinion.

Will Tokyuuger pick up? I believe so but they need to up the anty besides both Greta, her mom and Kagura are highly annoying.

Also, why is it all the new sentais have the good looking monsters offed first. Like Kyoryuger, Shinkenger and Hurricanger to name a few. :O_O:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top