The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
Basically, a lot of English-speaking Sentai fans want to pretend they are not watching a children's show, and you can't really do that while you're watching Go-onger.

Everyone throws around the term "children's show" like its a negative connotation. That's not it because Japan tends to acknowledge that kids can handle rather complex plotlines and characters if given the chance. It's just that Sentai hasn't had a seemingly goofy season like this since probably Carranger (I could be wrong). Every other season had some sort of balance between that and an interesting, engaging plot, whether it be serious or otherwise. Hell, Gekiranger had some pretty insane moments and that's regarded as a favorite cuz they had a balance with a story that definitely gripped you and made you root for the hero. Go-Onger, from what I've seen and heard, doesn't really have that so I can understand people not being able to watch or enjoy it. There is only so much goofiness one can take before it gets nonsensical. And this is coming from a Den-O fan. :thumbs:

Mad Skillz
It's always seemed to me that those who don't like Go-Onger are generalized into this group of nerds who want their kids shows to be dark, gritty, super violent and mature and...that's just not the case. Sure, there is a select group of people who want that but, honestly? You're not really going to find anyone like that too often. Just from what I've seen, the major gripes a lot of people have with Go-Onger is that the cast is terrible, the story is stale, and the comedy is just bad. I don't think it's out of the ordinary to expect tokusatsu to bring you good acting, these are shows that are used as stepping stones to bigger careers for a reason. Comedy is totally subjective I think, but you don't even have to compare Go-Onger to Carranger for good comedy in tokusatsu. Recent(ish) shows like Sazer X and Ryukendo and heck, even Keitai Sousakan 7, all did comedy in their own unique way that left a better impression with those viewers.

To say it's just a kids show and nothing more really undermines the efforts of the people behind the scenes. I'm not expecting some life affirming grand opus, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a solid cast and story.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Everyone throws around the term "children's show" like its a negative connotation. That's not it because Japan tends to acknowledge that kids can handle rather complex plotlines and characters if given the chance. It's just that Sentai hasn't had a seemingly goofy season like this since probably Carranger (I could be wrong). Every other season had some sort of balance between that and an interesting, engaging plot, whether it be serious or otherwise. Hell, Gekiranger had some pretty insane moments and that's regarded as a favorite cuz they had a balance with a story that definitely gripped you and made you root for the hero. Go-Onger, from what I've seen and heard, doesn't really have that so I can understand people not being able to watch or enjoy it. There is only so much goofiness one can take before it gets nonsensical. And this is coming from a Den-O fan. :thumbs:

Gekiranger didn't do well in Japan, which seems to be why Toei gave it such a half-arsed tribute in Gokaiger. (I've heard that older Japanese fans on the internet found Geki boring, but don't know if that's true.) And it has to be said that around these parts there are quite a few people who seem to think that any comedy in the show is a bad thing. Over the last five years, particularly, Sentai has been geared towards increasingly younger kids; there is more comedy, less blood, no romance, and everyone gets a happy ending. Every Sentai since Geki has come in for hate for being "too childish" or having "too much comedy" but Go-onger gets the worst of that for its constant slapstick.

It's always seemed to me that those who don't like Go-Onger are generalized into this group of nerds who want their kids shows to be dark, gritty, super violent and mature and...that's just not the case. Sure, there is a select group of people who want that but, honestly? You're not really going to find anyone like that too often.

I think it's true to some extent. That's why RPM is so popular - because it took itself way too seriously and tried too hard to be edgy. It's basically as close as such people are going to get to the "dark" PR or Sentai series they want to see.

Just from what I've seen, the major gripes a lot of people have with Go-Onger is that the cast is terrible, the story is stale, and the comedy is just bad. I don't think it's out of the ordinary to expect tokusatsu to bring you good acting, these are shows that are used as stepping stones to bigger careers for a reason.

Goseiger gets constant hate for being "bland" and poorly acted, yet at least two of its cast members are doing well since it ended. Gokaiger is being frequently bashed now and all the main cast have got new roles since it ended. Fourze is on course to be the lowest-rated Rider series to date, but its cast has built up their profiles over the last year - they'll all be in dramas and stuff once it wraps. The quality of show doesn't seem to affect what the actors do later.

And really, just how bad were the cast of Go-onger? Sosuke's no worse than the heroes of Magiranger or Gekiranger, both of which are popular on our side of the fandom. Renn and Hiroto were the only ones who showed any hint of seriousness. The girls aren't great, but no one cares about their performance because they were "hot." And at least they're not Houka and Natsuki who are still acting like five-year-olds when they're in their 20s. So that leaves ... Green and Black?

Comedy is totally subjective I think, but you don't even have to compare Go-Onger to Carranger for good comedy in tokusatsu. Recent(ish) shows like Sazer X and Ryukendo and heck, even Keitai Sousakan 7, all did comedy in their own unique way that left a better impression with those viewers.

To say it's just a kids show and nothing more really undermines the efforts of the people behind the scenes. I'm not expecting some life affirming grand opus, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a solid cast and story.

Carranger is far and away cleverer than Go-onger, it must be said. But Sazer X and Ryukendo were a while ago now, and I don't think Keitai Sousakan 7 is really comparable; it was more like a J-drama with toku elements and wasn't aimed at a pre-school audience. A better example might be Rescue Force, which aired at the same time as Go-onger. It's generally not popular with English-speaking fans, why? Because it was packed with wackiness to appeal to kids. It just seems to be what Japanese producers think very young kids will go for.

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
I don't know that Sentai aiming younger year after year is true. I mean, right after Go-Onger came Shinkenger and that's a polar opposite. It probably did appeal to kids in a "Holy crap these guys are SO cool!" way, but it strikes me as Toei trying to capture a broader audience. While Shinkenger averaged 11% in kids ratings compared to Go-Onger's 12.2%, it did have a larger average in teens and above.

Though I do find interesting that, before it was planned that Gokaiger would try to bring in as many guests as they could, Gekiranger was supposed to be the only series to have a tribute episode that didn't tie into the toy line, so I think they might have been appealing to older fans there. (or maybe someone on the staff just really likes the show)

I think it's true to some extent. That's why RPM is so popular - because it took itself way too seriously and tried too hard to be edgy. It's basically as close as such people are going to get to the "dark" PR or Sentai series they want to see.
See, the thing here is that RPM wasn't devoid of comedy. When RPM did comedy, it was actually pretty hilarious, and I'm not just talking about when it would poke fun at tokusatsu stereotypes. I think one of the reasons people liked the show so much isn't exactly because it was dark, but because it managed to bring a solid story to the game.

Goseiger gets constant hate for being "bland" and poorly acted, yet at least two of its cast members are doing well since it ended. Gokaiger is being frequently bashed now and all the main cast have got new roles since it ended. Fourze is on course to be the lowest-rated Rider series to date, but its cast has built up their profiles over the last year - they'll all be in dramas and stuff once it wraps. The quality of show doesn't seem to affect what the actors do later.
It's not so much the quality of the overall show I was talking about there but the acting. I don't like Gokaiger, but it had a pretty solid cast for the most part, though I do think the girls, especially Ahim, were the two weakest links in the cast.

And really, just how bad were the cast of Go-onger? Sosuke's no worse than the heroes of Magiranger or Gekiranger, both of which are popular on our side of the fandom. Renn and Hiroto were the only ones who showed any hint of seriousness. The girls aren't great, but no one cares about their performance because they were "hot." And at least they're not Houka and Natsuki who are still acting like five-year-olds when they're in their 20s. So that leaves ... Green and Black?
Just personally speaking, the Go-Onger cast ranks as one of my least favorites. Hiroki Suzuki is one of my favorite Sentai actors of the last decade, even if his character wasn't always the best. When I watched Go-Onger VS Gekiranger, it was like night and day whenever Sousuke and Jan had scenes together. I actually think Shinwa Kataoka is the weakest link the Go-Onger cast, he was pretty good in that beach episode, but other than that, he was a terrible actor. And I'll always think that Go-Onger's biggest fault was wasting Hidenori Tokuyama, not so much wasting as he was in the show and that's a waste, but that he had to play another super serious type. I used to follow his blog quite frequently after Kabuto and the guy is absolutely crazy, he probably would have been great in a different role for that show.

Carranger is far and away cleverer than Go-onger, it must be said. But Sazer X and Ryukendo were a while ago now, and I don't think Keitai Sousakan 7 is really comparable; it was more like a J-drama with toku elements and wasn't aimed at a pre-school audience. A better example might be Rescue Force, which aired at the same time as Go-onger. It's generally not popular with English-speaking fans, why? Because it was packed with wackiness to appeal to kids. It just seems to be what Japanese producers think very young kids will go for.
I don't remember Rescue Force being incredibly wacky, it had some cringe worthy moments, but in general, it's comedy wasn't that bad. (though that gender swap episode is the worst thing ever) Though I also tend to believe that the reason Rescue Force didn't take off with English fans is because it's not Rider or Sentai. If you're not grimdark Garo, people tend to avoid the other tokusatsu - it's why the discussion threads the shows have while they were on the air are so incredibly small. And for as wacky as it could be, Rescue Force (and even Rescue Fire) could be surprisingly mature with their content.

And as Lazycoco has said, it's a kid's show. What did you expect from it!?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-09lJ3w7o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-09lJ3w7o[/ame]
Among other things. I'd rather put another clip though since people will now say "You want rivers of blood!", but I can't find any good ones.

And don't bring up the Three Idiots' episodes as a counter. They were comedic, but not in the style of Go-Onger or current Toei toku in general.

And it has to be said that around these parts there are quite a few people who seem to think that any comedy in the show is a bad thing.

Every Sentai since Geki has come in for hate for being "too childish" or having "too much comedy" but Go-onger gets the worst of that for its constant slapstick.

Who are these people? And I don think even Gekiranger is that spectacular compared to other shows, and I used to be a more ardent fan.

I watched seven episodes of RPM, missed one week by chance, and never watched it again from lack of interest. And I'd probably bet some people might expect me to worship a show like RPM. What does that say?

The girls aren't great, but no one cares about their performance because they were "hot."

They are?

And at least they're not Houka and Natsuki who are still acting like five-year-olds when they're in their 20s.

G3 Princesses isn't exactly a leg to stand on either. It even had to be shoved into Go-Onger's tribute episodes in Gokaiger.

Carranger is far and away cleverer than Go-onger, it must be said. But Sazer X and Ryukendo were a while ago now, and I don't think Keitai Sousakan 7 is really comparable; it was more like a J-drama with toku elements and wasn't aimed at a pre-school audience.

I wasn't much of a Sazer X fan, but I thought Ryukendo was fairly enjoyable for its oddity. There wasn't much real cartoony slapstick, but more "what the hell?" moments with its comedy. Even so, Ryukendo is not what I mainly look for in a superhero show.

Ore, Sanjou!
I really liked Go-Onger, and sure it had problems, but overall it was a good series that knew what it was doing. it really does add a unique element when the mecha are characters too, one of the reasons I also liked Abaranger when I watched it

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Who are these people? And I don think even Gekiranger is that spectacular compared to other shows, and I used to be a more ardent fan.

(...)

I watched seven episodes of RPM, missed one week by chance, and never watched it again from lack of interest. And I'd probably bet some people might expect me to worship a show like RPM. What does that say?

It says you don't like RPM or Gekiranger much. I could dig up plenty of quotes, from here and other boards, of people praising both those shows essentially because they're considered more serious.

They are?

Any Henshin Hotties regulars wanna chip in here?

G3 Princesses isn't exactly a leg to stand on either. It even had to be shoved into Go-Onger's tribute episodes in Gokaiger.

I thought that was mostly just for fanservice? And sales. I thought the G3 Princess release had good sales?

I don't know that Sentai aiming younger year after year is true. I mean, right after Go-Onger came Shinkenger and thaI t's a polar opposite. It probably did appeal to kids in a "Holy crap these guys are SO cool!" way, but it strikes me as Toei trying to capture a broader audience. While Shinkenger averaged 11% in kids ratings compared to Go-Onger's 12.2%, it did have a larger average in teens and above.

The character interactions in Shinkenger made it feel more like a regular J-drama to me - maybe that's the reason for some of its popularity. It seems Kobayashi does well when she throws in the "soap opera" touch; I'd include Den-O in there because of the whole Airi and Yuuto plot. Go-Busters lacks that and I wonder if it contributes to the ratings lag.

See, the thing here is that RPM wasn't devoid of comedy. When RPM did comedy, it was actually pretty hilarious, and I'm not just talking about when it would poke fun at tokusatsu stereotypes. I think one of the reasons people liked the show so much isn't exactly because it was dark, but because it managed to bring a solid story to the game.

A story in which the entire PR universe had apparently been destroyed, including the heroes of previous shows that we knew and had come to love. How nice! There were other seasons that managed to have a story without going all "apocalyptic wasteland" on us.

It's not so much the quality of the overall show I was talking about there but the acting. I don't like Gokaiger, but it had a pretty solid cast for the most part, though I do think the girls, especially Ahim, were the two weakest links in the cast.

Sentai/Rider heroines are always gravure models though, so they can still get work no matter how bad their acting. And for the guys, it doesn't seem to matter what the show was like, it usually raises their profile enough for them to get other TV work (or at least the lead actor.)

I don't remember Rescue Force being incredibly wacky, it had some cringe worthy moments, but in general, it's comedy wasn't that bad. (though that gender swap episode is the worst thing ever) Though I also tend to believe that the reason Rescue Force didn't take off with English fans is because it's not Rider or Sentai. If you're not grimdark Garo, people tend to avoid the other tokusatsu - it's why the discussion threads the shows have while they were on the air are so incredibly small. And for as wacky as it could be, Rescue Force (and even Rescue Fire) could be surprisingly mature with their content.

Rescue Force was rather wackier than Rescue Fire though. Rescue Fire never had anything quite as silly as, say, the genderswap episode or the one where R1 spends the whole time moping because his pet stick insect is ill. Rescue Fire did a lot of romance/soap-opera stuff and it had a surprisingly mature (by the standards of post-2005 tokusatsu) approach towards the end of the show. Whereas Rescue Force was a little more zany and

Supaidaman!
Basically, a lot of English-speaking Sentai fans want to pretend they are not watching a children's show, and you can't really do that while you're watching Go-onger.

LOL!

I'd say Go-Onger's all-in approach to craziness has been one of its biggest strengths. G6/9/12 were basically "Yeah, we added MORE combiners. What of it?"

Last edited:
Lurker
Go-onger gets similar flack to what Den-O and Ninja Storm received on its airing. People, especialy with current shows, can accept the ridiculous if there's more storytelling involved. I dug the vehicle interactions and the bits of universe tinkering it did then but I understand the majority's dislike of these.
You're busy dipping your nuts in Dairanger's sauces. Though RPM's comedy was as obnoxiously loud as Go-onger.
I don't remember Rescue Force being incredibly wacky, it had some cringe worthy moments, but in general, it's comedy wasn't that bad. (though that gender swap episode is the worst thing ever)
It's comedy stands out worse when it happens, complemented by no soundtrack or sound effects. That's partially why I didn't dig Rescue Force but liked Rescue Fire for finding its balance.

Professional Chef and Entertainer
you can say this show was mostly just to sell the gimmick of the year. i enjoyed the humor in the show just like i enjoyed den-o, it's fun when sentai or kamen rider try to relax and make something light hearted for a season. sometimes it could backfire like goseiger or even the last two metal heroes(Kabutack and Robotack), but it sometimes works well.