What was the first Tokusatsu show/film?

So, what was the first ever Tokustatsu movie, or television show. If I had to guess, I would guess that it would be "Yusei oji"( "Planet Prince" or "Prince of Space")

Or am I wrong?
 
For me, you're dead wrong. For me, the very first toku series I saw was the original "Ultraman", which was on sci-fi dubbed. It still holds a special place in my heart.
 
Space Sheriff Gavan said:
So, what was the first ever Tokustatsu movie, or television show. If I had to guess, I would guess that it would be "Yusei oji"( "Planet Prince" or "Prince of Space")

Or am I wrong?

HAHAHAHA! Prince of Space RULES!
 
I could be mistaken, but I think the original Godzilla might be classified as the first Tokusatsu, at least in the modern sense of the word as a genre itself (as opposed to simply being a film with special effects, which go WAAAAY back. Tokusatsu is derived from "Tokushu Satsuei", or "Special Photography")

And on TV, I *think* it was Gekkou Kamen (Moonlight Mask). But if anyone knows the real answer, I'd like to know it!
 
Igadevil said:
I could be mistaken, but I think the original Godzilla might be classified as the first Tokusatsu, at least in the modern sense of the word as a genre itself (as opposed to simply being a film with special effects, which go WAAAAY back. Tokusatsu is derived from "Tokushu Satsuei", or "Special Photography")

And on TV, I *think* it was Gekkou Kamen (Moonlight Mask). But if anyone knows the real answer, I'd like to know it!
I have to go with Igadevil. According to legend TOHO coined the term Tokuastsu when the made Godzilla back in 54
 
scikaiju said:
I have to go with Igadevil. According to legend TOHO coined the term Tokuastsu when the made Godzilla back in 54

When I say Tokusatsu, I mean a costumed hero with special powers or a special weapon. I've always classified Godzilla and other films like it as "Kaiju movies"


Prince of space came out in 1959, by the way


Of course, there was the 1961 film "Uchu Kaisoku-sen" or "Space Greyhound" which starred Sonny Chiba as a hero called Ironsharp ( was re-named "Space Chief" in the US dub) who fights the Neptune men with his flying car and his spaceship. That qualifies as Toku, I suppose. The movie was re-named "Invasion of the Neptune Men", and the dub made it virtually unwatchable because of how annoying all the voices were, and the dubbed film was hilariously slammed by MST3K

Servo: " Maybe Space Chief should try going into SPACE sometime"

Crow: "Lower atmosphere chief!"

Mike: "Barely off the stupid ground Chief"
 
Hmmm....perhaps Ultra Q? Then again, wasn't a masked hero in it. Ultraman I'd have to say. Godzilla is classified as Kaiju.
 
Space Sheriff Gavan said:
When I say Tokusatsu, I mean a costumed hero with special powers or a special weapon. I've always classified Godzilla and other films like it as "Kaiju movies"

When you say tokusatsu you think some kind of hero. When Japan thinks tokusatsu, they think more of a scifi genre for TV/movies.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top