How to make a good toei tokusatsu show without being treated as a TOY commercial!

Alternate title :How to make the best kamen rider/super sentai shows without being treated as toy commercials!

After discussing about why toei use silly items as themes for every neo heisei kamen rider series? In this thread: http://forums.henshinjustice.net/sh...hemes-for-every-neo-heisei-kamen-rider-series I understand the reason that both toei tokusatsu franchise are treated as toy commercials in other words Merchandise-Driven its as if Bandai “created” both franchise but they aren’t why?
  • Both kamen rider and super sentai are just tokusatsu shows not toy franchises.
  • They are created by toei and the first shows were co-created by shotaro ishinomori

So with that I am about to write about few simple steps on how to make a good sentai and kamen rider shows without being treated as a toy commercial which will be used for future kr/ss shows and not being treated as toy commercials .

• Don’t treat The toei tokusatsu shows like Kamen rider and super sentai as toy commercials treat them like a story treat like a tv show just like in the olden days
  • Don’t let Bandai choose silly items such as fashion for example so that it will be turn into a next theme for sentai and kamen rider because they think kids will like it.
  • Use serious items instead such as jet planes, spy theme ,rescue theme ,adventurous theme, animal theme etc.
  • Let the toei staff along with the writers choose which is the next theme for kamen rider and super sentai using references such as a survey group interview kids on what theme will be suitable for the next superhero.
  • After the theme is chosen the writers should a create a plot suitable to it
  • Then designers should make a rider and sentai suits based on the theme toei chose only.
  • Audition for actors for the new sentai/rider show
  • Film two episodes before announcing the new show
  • Then Let Bandai makes merchandising toys based on the rider and sentai shows based on the theme they chose only.
  • After that before the current sentai/rider show ends let toei announce to the press of their latest sentai/rider show based on the theme they chose rather than bandai’s.
  • Have the non-ikemen portray in lead roles just like in the 70s (note :ikemen in japan stands for handsome young men and 80's not included because the male ones are considered "pre-ikemen" just look at their hair coming from the 80s)

That’s how you make a best kamen rider/super sentai show without being treated as a toy commercial.

Last edited:
Harumph.
Sounds like a surefire way for toy sales to go down the toilet, to be honest.

I don't like it but it's what keeps them making new shows every year.

Lurker
I don't mind toy sellouts if they go in seamlessly with the show. For example, Gaim. I don't think anyone can complain about all the lock seed gimmicks.

Shyni
I didn't get why they didn't have characters use Lockseeds besides their default more often, to be honest. Especially considering how disadvantaged the normal ones were later in the show.

But anyway, Toei aren't going to make a less toyetic show any time soon. These things cost money to make, after all.

Yeah...that and things nowadays are expensive. They gotta eat too.

But what makes Bandai think some of the things they come up with makes a good "Kamen Rider" idea? (though I have no complaints with the fruits motif of Gaim, I still find it a bit odd at times xD )

Last edited:
For Kamen Rider I don't think the motif have been that bad. I thought gaia memories and coins worked well with the story line. For me the its the other gimmick stuff that is too toy centric like some of the weapons or the helpers.

Sounds like a surefire way for toy sales to go down the toilet, to be honest.

I don't like it but it's what keeps them making new shows every year.

True,But i just think that the both show's purpose is to entertain the audience not selling merchandises.

I don't mind toy sellouts if they go in seamlessly with the show. For example, Gaim. I don't think anyone can complain about all the lock seed gimmicks.
I didn't get why they didn't have characters use Lockseeds besides their default more often, to be honest. Especially considering how disadvantaged the normal ones were later in the show.

That's true fruits maybe but when you mix with other themes like locks and samurais then it feels not going to be silly especially when you have madoko creator gen urobuchi as its head writer wonder if they will do thge same thing with Kr's next theme with that silly ridiculous theme called fashion maybe silk thread insect things like silk worm and spiders.

But anyway, Toei aren't going to make a less toyetic show any time soon. These things cost money to make, after all.

Now i know why Joe odagari won't reprise his role as kuuga in any future crossover films.

But what makes Bandai thing some of the things they come up with makes a good "Kamen Rider" idea? (though I have no complaints with the fruits motif of Gaim, I still find it a bit odd at times xD )

But whats wrong with toei handling the KR/SS theme ideas by themselves instead of Bandai they did well back in the old days when both franchise were at their prime.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
True,But i just make that the both show's purpose is to entertain the audience not selling merchandises.

They have to sell merchandise in order to make not only a profit, but to cover the cost of the shows, and the movies, and all the promotion, and ...

wonder if they will do thge same thing with Kr's next theme with that silly ridiculous theme called fashion maybe silk thread insect things like silk worm and spiders.

Why is fashion a "silly" and "ridiculous" theme? The latest rumour is that it's street fashion, which would fit in perfectly well.

Now i know why Joe odagari won't reprise his role as kuuga in any future crossover films.

Didn't he say he wouldn't return unless the original producer was attached to the project? Nothing to do with the toys.

But wrongs with toei handling the KR/SS theme ideas by themselves instead of Bandai they did well back in the old days when both franchise were at their prime.

You realise that was 20+ years ago? The market was totally different, audiences were different, etc. etc. They have to be able to compete with big brands to survive

They have to sell merchandise in order to make not only a profit, but to cover the cost of the shows, and the movies, and all the promotion, and ...

Hmm that is true but toei should be the one who can decide the theme for future sentai and riders and merchandise will be included to make the profits and cover the costs for the production.

Why is fashion a "silly" and "ridiculous" theme? The latest rumour is that it's street fashion, which would fit in perfectly well.

Yeah but fashion and street fashion are common its ridiculous to have bandai and toei to use a common thing like fashion which is silly to be use as a superhero theme unless they could give additions to it to make it look good like how they did with giving locks,samurai and feuds to a fruit theme with the help of gen urobuchi.

Didn't he say he wouldn't return unless the original producer was attached to the project? Nothing to do with the toys.

Yes that is true but this is one of another reasons why he didn't come back and reprise his role as kuuga.

You realise that was 20+ years ago? The market was totally different, audiences were different, etc. etc. They have to be able to compete with big brands to survive

Yes,that is true and other major brands you mean like Marvel or what kind of big brands anime? but still what's wrong with giving this process of production a second try after all both kamen and super sentai franchise are supposed to entertain not to be treated as toy commercials to sell their toys.

Now that I did some thinking, I don't think making these "ridiculous" themes is the problem, rather the lack of restrain of Bandai.