[HIDE]I think the acting was restrained by the amount of money they had, rather than the ability of the actors. It's really obvious when watching the show that the actors didn't get a chance to have any rehersals, and they're filming every scene in just one or two takes. So you basically just get an on-set read-through, as nobody has heard the other cast members speaking their lines aloud before and so doesn't really know how to play the scene or have time to develop any chemistry. I'd love to see how some of these actors perform in better circumstances. As it is, it really makes you appreciate just how slick Rider and Sentai are on that kind of level, even if Toei is well-known for their insanely intense scheduling.

Similarly, a lot of the action scenes are quite obviously "one take wonders". IIRC the low visibility podcast mentioned that there's a shot of an alien falling down, where the suit actor is accidentally wearing the alien's head backwards! I think showing Ginga off, and the gimmick generally, was held back because they were constrained by available suits, minimal effects, and a simple lack of time. As a result the fights are short and pretty straightforward, rather than being able to fully take advantage of the gimmick.

The other weird thing about Ginga is that (perhaps because, as I said above, Bandai are now a major shareholder and they demanded that it be something that promoted the toys in the manner they were used to) it's taken on a lot of elements that feel more typical for Rider. A teenage hero who investigates cases of people turning into monsters with his school-aged friends, then uses a toyetic transformation trinket to become the hero. Completely normal for recent years of Rider, but not normal for Ultra.[/HIDE]

That's actually a really fascinating idea that's never really occurred to me. That would explain a LOT.

Here's hoping Ultraman Victory is a quality production, whatever it winds up being.

I think the 50th Anniversary in 2016 is the only realistic chance of a decent budget full-on series.

He better have a giant V on his forehead, I don't think any Heisei Ultra ever have big horns like Taro, lol...

I wonder what gimmick that Victory will have? The Monster Galaxy series had capturing monsters and Ginga had toy dolls. Maybe Victory will have a card gimmick similar to Goseiger/Power Rangers Megaforce, Kamen Rider Ryuki and Kamen Rider Blade.

Harumph.
I wonder what gimmick that Victory will have? The Monster Galaxy series had capturing monsters and Ginga had toy dolls. Maybe Victory will have a card gimmick similar to Goseiger/Power Rangers Megaforce, Kamen Rider Ryuki and Kamen Rider Blade.

I'd rather they try to avoid using actual toys again. That's just me,though.

I would imagine that they will use a gimmick for the show since gimmicks help sell toys. I still think a time travel Ultraman theme show would be cool to see.