bh6e.jpg

uwur.jpg

The Latest scans from Terebi Magazine announced that there'll be a new Ultraman appearing, now it seems like the registration for the new Ultraman has been confirmed, apparently the new Ultraman would be known as ウルトラマンビクトリー (Ultraman Victory), well just fingers crossed that it wouldn't end up like a flop as Ginga is, and I do have a strong feel that it'll be another Mini Series under the New Ultraman Retsuden slot, very much like Ginga.

well just fingers crossed that it wouldn't end up like a flop as Ginga is
Was Ginga a flop? I thought sales figures shot up last year?

Always good to have more Ultraman. Hopefully they can get out of their funk and have more regular content again, although as you said "Ultraman Victory" does sound more like an anthology type name.

Harumph.
I know I'm likely in for some disappointment, but I really hope that this will be it's own full series.

I can't fin "ウルトラマンビクトリー" in the first picture. The big yellow test says "Ultraman Ginga" (ウルトラマンギンガ) and the big white text doesn't appear to say "Victory" either. I think I see it in the second picture, though.

@Toku Prime: Ginga apparently had really horrible ratings, from what I can tell. Like, less than 1/3 of Mebius' ratings.

The text on the magazine cover says: "New Ultra Hero Scoop."
Tsuburaya usually don't announce the name of a new Ultra/new series until much later after registering its trademark.

R

raden238

I hope there is a new Ultraman series in the works. I really would like to see a full year length series again. I never finished Ultraman Ginga. I watched like the first 5 episodes and then once the hiatus came, I forgot about the show entirely and didn't even bother going back to catch up. Ginga had a lot of potential. Being like Decade and Gokaiger, where he can change into any Ultraman or Ultra monster. The concept is surely entertaining. But they really didn't do well at all. The actors suck. I feel that if Tsuburaya had a bigger budget to fund for a full year length series it would be a lot better. A mini series just won't cut it. Your better off saving the money into making a new Ultraman movie every year instead.

Mad Skillz
I can't fin "ウルトラマンビクトリー" in the first picture. The big yellow test says "Ultraman Ginga" (ウルトラマンギンガ) and the big white text doesn't appear to say "Victory" either. I think I see it in the second picture, though.

@Toku Prime: Ginga apparently had really horrible ratings, from what I can tell. Like, less than 1/3 of Mebius' ratings.

The second image is a screenshot of the trademark registration, it's definitely real.

As for the ratings, you need a bit of context there. Ultraman Ginga aired in the same time slot as Ultraman Retsuden, which is basically just reairings of old episodes, so its ratings have always been low. Ginga wasn't likely to do much better.

Financially speaking, last year was the best Ultraman has had as a franchise in quite some time. Granted, this is still nowhere near Sentai or Rider, but it saw a marked improvement.

As for the ratings, you need a bit of context there. Ultraman Ginga aired in the same time slot as Ultraman Retsuden, which is basically just reairings of old episodes, so its ratings have always been low. Ginga wasn't likely to do much better.
Yeah, 0.3% below the first Retsudan is the most relevent comparison really. Of course, with Bandai being major shareholders iun Tsuburaya now, they're probably more concerned with the merch sales than TV figures.
Ginga had a lot of potential. Being like Decade and Gokaiger, where he can change into any Ultraman or Ultra monster. The concept is surely entertaining. But they really didn't do well at all. The actors suck. I feel that if Tsuburaya had a bigger budget to fund for a full year length series it would be a lot better.
[HIDE]I think the acting was restrained by the amount of money they had, rather than the ability of the actors. It's really obvious when watching the show that the actors didn't get a chance to have any rehersals, and they're filming every scene in just one or two takes. So you basically just get an on-set read-through, as nobody has heard the other cast members speaking their lines aloud before and so doesn't really know how to play the scene or have time to develop any chemistry. I'd love to see how some of these actors perform in better circumstances. As it is, it really makes you appreciate just how slick Rider and Sentai are on that kind of level, even if Toei is well-known for their insanely intense scheduling.

Similarly, a lot of the action scenes are quite obviously "one take wonders". IIRC the low visibility podcast mentioned that there's a shot of an alien falling down, where the suit actor is accidentally wearing the alien's head backwards! I think showing Ginga off, and the gimmick generally, was held back because they were constrained by available suits, minimal effects, and a simple lack of time. As a result the fights are short and pretty straightforward, rather than being able to fully take advantage of the gimmick.

The other weird thing about Ginga is that (perhaps because, as I said above, Bandai are now a major shareholder and they demanded that it be something that promoted the toys in the manner they were used to) it's taken on a lot of elements that feel more typical for Rider. A teenage hero who investigates cases of people turning into monsters with his school-aged friends, then uses a toyetic transformation trinket to become the hero. Completely normal for recent years of Rider, but not normal for Ultra.[/HIDE]

Last edited:
Harumph.
Similarly, a lot of the action scenes are quite obviously "one take wonders". IIRC the low visibility podcast mentioned that there's a shot of an alien falling down, where the suit actor is accidentally wearing the alien's head backwards!

I think that was Kemur.

There was also the episode they had to remove and edit because they accidentally caught the face of the actor wearing the Ragon suit. I can't remember if the mask was knocked off or if he simply wasn't wearing it.

Those sort of things wouldn't have happened if the series had just been better planned and rehearsed. Or if they allowed retakes.

Those sort of things wouldn't have happened if the series had just been better planned and rehearsed. Or if they allowed retakes.
Oh completely agreed. I wonder just how amazingly poverty-stricken the budget must've been if they're having to leave obvious "need to do another take" level errors in, clearly aren't providing time to rehearse etc. I know time is money but Ginga really did take that to the extreme. Now that master Bandai has been fed a couple of billion yen, they really need to divert some of it back into Tsuburaya's production accounts.