6_1.jpg

But some of these aren't even in stores yet!

This week: do androids dream of electric sheep? This commander seems a few stars short of a galaxy, but he has all the toys. Revenge is best found on a barren hillside, and parachuting robots allow Shishi Red to go all 'Mighty Brothers X' on us.

D

Dr Kain

God I can not stop laughing at how much Champ shrinks when he transforms.

Anyway, I'm honestly not sure how I felt about this episode. There were things I liked, but then the mech battle at the end felt tacked on. I know this is beating a dead horse, but seriously, is there some law in Japan that says if a Sentai show doesn't feature a mech battle for one episode children are going to stop buying the toys?

Also, I can't wait for the big misunderstanding where it turns out that Stinger was trying to save Dr Anton from Jark Matter and Champ came in when all was said and done.

Oh, and wow, the transformation sequences and intros were like on high octane. You would think at the speed they are going this show was only going to be like 15 episodes.

Hey Toei, how about slowing down and actually NOT introducing each new ranger every episode? How about developing the first batch of characters BEFORE you introduce another ranger or two? I mean, I fell like the stuff that happened in this episode should have been like episode 10. It just doesn't make sense from a narrative stand point to cram it all right away and then have like 25 episodes of filler.

On the positive side, I like the commander and from what I recall, he is voice by Red Racer's actor. That is awesome. Oh, and Lucky didn't speak as much this episode.

Eh, the series' gimmick is that there's nine of them. Gotta get 'em in. As always with Sentai (or Rider), you've got to show the toys off before you can think about the story.

The commander's voice isn't a Racer but a Radiranger. Or rather, he's one of the presenters of the 'Radiranger' radio show. He also voiced Jean-bot in the Ultraman Zero movies.

D

Dr Kain

Yeah, I learned he is the voice of Law in One Piece and was Mephisto in Blue Exorcist.

Some kind of Beast mode
Man, that segment with Lucky telling Champ he feels Stinger is innocent was just an anti-acting reel neatly packaged with a bow. Holy shyt was that equally embarrassing as well as hilarious to watch.

Other than that it was an entertaining episode. I hope Raptor won't always have the triggered volcano frustration physical humor all the time; especially since that characteristic kind of bleeds into Hammy's anger portrayal as well. I haven't fully liked a female senshi in years, so I sincerely hope Hammy is the one.

I pretty much agree with everything Dr. Kain said. Regarding the mech quota, the predictability of Dr. Anton's actual killer reveal, and the shows pacing needs work.

Mad Skillz
Eh, the series' gimmick is that there's nine of them. Gotta get 'em in. As always with Sentai (or Rider), you've got to show the toys off before you can think about the story.

I mean, the show is doing a decent job with its story any characters anyway.

In Sentai you typically roll right into focus episodes early on with whoever isn't being focused on kinda getting push to the back. Kyuranger is no different in that regard, it's just that each focus episode also serves as the introduction of a new Ranger. (at least until we get our first nine in) I think I would have enjoyed a more drawn out introduction, maybe give us at least the first 13 episodes as a team building arc, but that might be asking a little too much for a show whose name is Kyuranger and big gimmick is "there are nine of them this time". Though they're definitely trying with Stinger, his induction to the team is going to take at least two episodes.

Right now it feels like the members suffering the most are Hammy and Sapada. They haven't gotten a ton of focus and you only really have an idea of their character from how they act in the background and every now and then when a fight gives them a unique moment. I'm hopeful the show will remedy this once we get through the first arc and have all nine members of the team ready to go.

Some kind of Beast mode
Hammy and Spada will be getting their low self-esteem eps in no time. Spada will begin his episode cooking something, someone asks him what inspired him to be a cook, and in comes the flashback of his idol. His ep will be ripe with puns.

Hammy's ep I'm willing to bet has to do with her family and possibly some sort of family tradition which reveals how much she misses them or something.