DVTB-2GXkAALJYa.jpg:small

Believe it or not, there's 13 characters in that image!

This week: Raptor makes her own Sailor Moon reference, Don Armage is all the universe's bad vibes, double beam-o-war, Lucky casually shatters the laws of physics (again!), Stinger takes two years to get his own bitchin' pimp coat, and Lucky finds himself in a strangely familiar dark void along with two other Reds...

DVN4vv0V4AAJMSg.jpg:small

See you in six months for an encounter with some space sheriffs!

D

Dr Kain

Good god was that a terrible finale. For one thing, how many times did they need to blow Don Armage up before he was actually dead? The battle just kept going, but instead of being an actual fight, it was just pretty explosions galore. Why did the mech fight even exist? All they did was clash Kamehamehas until Armage blew up. There was absolutely no point to that fight at all. Couldn't they have at least did some hand to hand combat BEFORE giving us the Daft Punk concert? It was Heisei Godzilla battles all over again.

Then we have the epilogue, which was hard to enjoy because of the kyutama globe in the corner with the dancing rangers. Was that really necessary? Kids have been watched this show for a year now, I think if they know the dance by now they don't need to be shown it. And if they don't, well it's not going to matter after this week anyway.

Next up, when the hell did Sparda and Raptor suddenly fall in love with each other? That just came out of no where last week. I don't recall any episode that developed feelings between those two. All I remember is way back when with Sparda encouraging Raptor for her fanfiction stories. That was it. Nothing at all that hinted he had a thing for mechanical vaginas.

Good riddance to this show! It had so much potential and it squandered it all by playing everything safe. No ranger was ever in danger of actually being killed because they all had their characters shields up to the max. Also, this show was too afraid of its own premise. It had 12 heroes, but made the exact same mistakes Gransazer made 14 years ago by only focusing on four of them, and leaving everyone else to the way side. I won't even get into Lucky, who is the love child of Ban and Daigo. He has the obnoxious loud mouth that Ban had combined with the invincible armor that made Daigo Mr Perfect. UGH!!!! I didn't think red rangers could descend any further than they already had. When are we going to get some real red rangers again? Someone like Ryo or Matsui?

Should I even waste my time typing up anything about the villains? They were pretty much non-existent. It was like after they killed off Stinger's brother they stopped caring about them. Half of the time it seemed like one was just another Death Worm, another giant mech, or a robot cow clone. Why did they even bother having this plot twist about Champ's creator when they didn't even do anything with him? Hell, Champ didn't even have any response to the man being blown up in episode 45. It was like he didn't even know that was his creator.

Powers Rangers in Space did the whole "rangers traveling across the universe to stop evil" far better than this show. The acting and stories might not have been the best, but at least it tried and actually developed their characters, especially the villains. Kyuranger did nothing but try to make a toy sale rather than tell anything competent. Hell, I feel like Kyuranger has devolved Sentai by 30 years. I might not enjoy the series from the 80s all that much, but at least they tried not to play things safe even if they would fail at times.

Here’s my take on the finale:

1. The very long boss fight is indeed tiring and repetitive, but if anything, it is consistent with the “never give up” message. Also, final bosses tend to explode in like a few sequences in the finale. As much as a threat Don Armage is designed to be, it would entail a really long fight. Wish they had more variety though.

2. Spada and raptors relationship was hinted at early on especially during the tsurugi intro episodes when Spada thought tsurugi will kiss raptor and freaked out.

3. It is true that no ranger was in mortal danger in the finale, but prior to that, we had tense moments with stinger, champ (blown into bits), balance, lucky (straight to the stomach shot), and recently, shou Ronpo. Of course, this is Sentai we are talking about and really what can we expect?

4. Just like what Hammy and Garu said in the finale, i hated lucky from the start. But just like them, he slowly grew on me. He’s still pretty much a living deus ex machina, and the focus of a lot of episodes, but at least he is not Takaharu.

5. Villain development has been really bad after toqger. That’s quite the thing nowadays I guess.

6. Champ knew in the rpg episode that the man he had taught him about justice is long gone and a mere shadow of the real prof anton which the latter extracted and destroyed. I suppose champ basically just moved on too quickly.

D

Dr Kain

That is just it though, they could have really done something with Champa and the brain of his creator to make the final battle with him interesting. Then again, as I have stated multiple times, this show squandered all of its potential. What could have been one of the greatest Sentai shows of all time, one of the most original Sentai shows of all time, ended up being just another generic, bland, unoriginal face in the sea of rainbow spandex.

They also could have done something really cool with those first person sequences, but they didn't do anything with those either. When they would show up, they would last maybe 2-3 seconds tops. Why not give us an entire fight in that mode?

As for villain development, I'd say it's been really bad since Gekiranger ended. No one has ever met the same amount of development as Rio and Mele did, even Enter. At this point, they might as well not even bother having villains and the rangers just need to battle fresh air every episode.

I just don't see the Spada and Raptor thing. Nope.

Some kind of Beast mode
Seems like I dropped this show at just the right time, at episode 10 or so. I was diggin sasori's brother arc but even that was enough to have me stay.

Kain's summary seems like exactly what Sentai has regressed to in the past 7+ years. Too much sugar in the aesthetics anyway, some things were annoying to look at.

Good OP song though, at least that will last forever.

D

Dr Kain

Yes you did. I'm not sure I'm going to watch all of Lupinranger vs Patoranger if I start to feel like it isn't living up to my expectations, at least watching it weekely. We'll see. I told my friends that if it sucks, we're watching Carranger show I can show them a good Sentai instead.

Some kind of Beast mode
Yes you did. I'm not sure I'm going to watch all of Lupinranger vs Patoranger if I start to feel like it isn't living up to my expectations, at least watching it weekely. We'll see. I told my friends that if it sucks, we're watching Carranger show I can show them a good Sentai instead.

Yea man, precisely. I'm giving LVP a chance because something about the soul of the product looks positively different and the Pat cast has my interest. Even then, hopes aren't up and im sure im gonna drop it as soon as the shenangins ensue.

I'm going to start copping those Shout Factory DVDs, and i guess when it comes to Sentai nowadays I will be looking back instead of looking forward. It sucks, but i guess that's life.

D

Dr Kain

Eh, I've been pretty much looking back at Sentai for years. No series since Gekiranger has been able to capture the magic of the 90s as far as I am concerned. I love Gokaiger, but even it was not privy to sucking in certain instances (like its main villains).

Some kind of Beast mode
Well yea, I check in ever casting season, give at least the first episode a try then I dip. Can't say i've rewatched any oldies in a couple of years now.

Gokai's villain problem thankfully didn't detract too much from everything else that was enjoyable. But I digress, lol.

Angrily ranting about modern Sentai is Dr Kain's gimmick. I'd raise an eyebrow if he wasn't here a year from now telling us all how LupinVsPat is the 'New Worst Thing Ever'© even though he still watched it all. ;)

I kinda feel that Kyuranger did the same thing as Ex-Aid - just start to run out of steam towards the end and that took the shine off a bit. Yeah, the mech battle seemed a bit pointless, but it's something they've insisted upon doing for the last couple of years. I don't know if that's because the network producer is the one in charge and they're clinging to the standard episode formula, or just a coincidence.

Overall, I had fun with this show. No, it wasn't some big change of direction (never believe the hype, people!) but I enjoyed it quite a bit more than Zyuohger, which I enjoyed waaay more than Ninninger (shudders just at the mention of the name) so we're going in the right direction.