Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger: 10 Years After V-Cinema announced

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I think that they'll only do it if they can get the entire cast back.

It depends on the show I suppose? A Den-O reunion could use kid!Ryoutarou again. A Faiz reunion need only really have Takumi, Mari and Keitaro (and possibly Kaidou, whose actor came back for the Kamen Rider 4 special) because most of the other main characters died, etc.

What was surprising with the "Dekaranger 10 years after" announcement was mostly ... how late it came, especially since Toei managed to get easily the cast back when they launched the Blue Ray
Dekaranger was pretty much a very likely choice as a "V cinema 10 years after" for several reasons :
- Dekaranger is one of the most popular sentai shows of all time, in the long term ( in fact, it's its popularity which made it one of the first "delusion sentai powers" used in Akibaranger), and it's telling that among later Power Rangers shows, PR SPD was one if the first which was dubbed
- It has a cast which is very active, and very involved, one has just to look how many of them came back in Gokaiger, how they were involved in the PR SPD Japanese dub, and their involvement in the release of the Blue Ray
- because of its police theme, making a stand alone movie is very easy : Dekaranger has a pretty much open ending.

Abaranger being skipped for a V cinema special is also undestandable :
- First issue, Abareyellow's actress has retired
- Abaranger was very popular when it aired, notably with its very popular opening song, but now, it is mostly seen as "that dino themed sentai between Zyuranger and Kyoryuger", and as such, it pretty much had its "Ten Years after" movie with the Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters movie (and frankly, storyline wise, Hurri 10 years after wasn't much more interesting than the Abaranger elements of the Kyoryu vs Go-Busters)
- Other problems with the casting : Abaranger relied on child actors (Maya Banno and Kasumi Suzuki) who can't really take again their former roles now, notably Suzuki, and frankly, with the death of Sugishita's actor, an Abaranger without Suke san would be lacking.
- and last, I don't think that Toei would be able to make a relevant Aba V cinema, given how the Abaranger tributes of Gokaiger weren't very well done (both Mikoto and Emiri weren't consistent compared to what they were in Aba)

Well I didn't think the last one had been a massive success, yet we're getting another one. The thing is, I bet ToQger was already deep in development when 'Hurricanger 10 Years After' was released, so the very next Sentai they developed from scratch following it's release was also ninja themed. It makes me wonder, if this one does well will that influence them to make the 41st Sentai similarly cop themed?
I really hope this will have a proper story plot and no stupid fanservice like Hurricanger 10 Years After.
The entire "10 years after" concept is fanservice. It's meant to wallow in nostalgia.
P.S. No Abaranger 10 Years After. No Mikoto:disappoin
AbareYellow's actress retired from the industry. Plus I'm sure if there was an overwhelming demand for it Toei would have seen it in the response to Kyoryu vs. Go-Bus.
What was surprising with the "Dekaranger 10 years after" announcement was mostly ... how late it came, especially since Toei managed to get easily the cast back when they launched the Blue Ray
It looks to me like this announcement was filmed at the same time as the Blu-Ray announcement.

Would like to change his avatar
- First issue, Abareyellow's actress has retired

So was Mio Fukuzumi, but she returned for Hurricaneger 10 Years After. So were a lot of the people who appeared in Gokaiger. We're past the point of assuming just because someone's retired doesn't mean they aren't willing to do come back for a special.

- Abaranger was very popular when it aired, notably with its very popular opening song, but now, it is mostly seen as "that dino themed sentai between Zyuranger and Kyoryuger", and as such, it pretty much had its "Ten Years after" movie with the Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters movie (and frankly, storyline wise, Hurri 10 years after wasn't much more interesting than the Abaranger elements of the Kyoryu vs Go-Busters)

But...Hurricaneger got TWO episodes of Gokaiger, yet still was given the 10 Years After. Abaranger's portion of the Kyoryuger movie was nonexistent, especially compared to what the Hurricaneger got to do in Gokaiger. The Hurricaneger even managed to get more face time in Gokaiger than either Mikoto or Yukito did in two completely separate episodes.

- Other problems with the casting : Abaranger relied on child actors (Maya Banno and Kasumi Suzuki) who can't really take again their former roles now, notably Suzuki, and frankly, with the death of Sugishita's actor, an Abaranger without Suke san would be lacking.

I agree that Suke-san's absence would leave a hole, but I don't see the problem with catching up with an older Mai and Rije/Mikoto. That's the point with these reunion movies. The bigger problem is if Banno still even acts. And I think there's certainly more stories that could be told in the world of Abaranger. They're paying these writers to be creative, so create!

I know that at the time producer Jun Hikasa seemed to really love Abaranger. I feel like he loved it more than any of the other Sentai shows he produced at that point. I'm thinking that the Hurricaneger 10YA was just a matter of timing, everyone's schedules aligning, something that probably started out as friendly chatter that gathered traction. That they probably didn't intend for this to become a thing, so an Abaranger one wasn't even a consideration, and the Dekaranger one is happening just because of things working out and that, hey, they gotta promote those Blu-rays. Hurricaneger was able to get back everyone in the cast and the core crew, which says it was a labor of love. While Arakawa's returning to write the Dekaranger 10YA, it's not the main director or same action director, which smells of corporate machinery.

Well I didn't think the last one had been a massive success, yet we're getting another one. The thing is, I bet ToQger was already deep in development when 'Hurricanger 10 Years After' was released, so the very next Sentai they developed from scratch following it's release was also ninja themed. It makes me wonder, if this one does well will that influence them to make the 41st Sentai similarly cop themed?

eh, that's odd. I remember a screening event was organized and the theatre was full house (Nagasawa Nao posted it on her blog). maybe that was what made Toei think it was a good idea to continue, rather than the DVD/Bluray sales.

that would be great if it was true! it'd be nice if this time each members were from a different department in the force too. Red is from the investigation department, Blue from the marine department etc. it could go somewhere along the lines of GoGoFive/Lightspeed Rescue where they were chosen because they were the best in their own field.

The entire "10 years after" concept is fanservice. It's meant to wallow in nostalgia.

then again, I never really liked Hurricanger and I thought their 10 Years After special was sort of dumb. I mean, the silly dance battle (Gouraigers became a bunch of idiots out of nowhere) and those unnecessary civilian fight scenes near the end and the fact they even killed the characteristics that made Shurikenger stand out. I expect something better from Dekaranger just 'cause they were one of the best teams during the 2000's.

iXMHMI4.png

does anybody remember this photo? I expect a Magiranger 10 Years After next year since Magiranger was just as popular as Hurricanger and Dekaranger back in the day. :D

So was Mio Fukuzumi, but she returned for Hurricaneger 10 Years After. So were a lot of the people who appeared in Gokaiger. We're past the point of assuming just because someone's retired doesn't mean they aren't willing to do come back for a special.
...I'm thinking that the Hurricaneger 10YA was just a matter of timing, everyone's schedules aligning, something that probably started out as friendly chatter that gathered traction.
Wasn't the story they told about how the Hurri 10YA came about that Shun, Nao and Kohei (the actors who played Red, Blue and Yellow) had actually pitched the idea to Toei, and Toei said they'd consider it if they could get the Goraiger actors to agree, so they got on their phones and got most of the cast to agree in principal to come back? So Mio Fukuzumi might have been recruited by them rather than by Toei, who have to go through agents and other 'proper' channels. With Deka, it looks to me a bit more like this was something Toei was making happen.
then again, I never really liked Hurricanger and I thought their 10 Years After special was sort of dumb. I mean, the silly dance battle (Gouraigers became a bunch of idiots out of nowhere) and those unnecessary civilian fight scenes near the end and the fact they even killed the characteristics that made Shurikenger stand out. I expect something better from Dekaranger just 'cause they were one of the best teams during the 2000's.
Yeah the dance battle stuff was silly, but IIRC it was included because the Goraigers' actors are actually in that band and wanted to show it off. Apparently most if not all of the members of the group are actors who've done a toku show in the past. I've only seen the Hurricangers in this, their Gokaiger appearance and in Gao vs Hurri. Based just on that, they seemed a lot more awkward back in the day so I kinda prefer them now (maybe I'll change my mind if Hurri ever gets subbed).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Magiranger is still a horrid show ... and the actors of Blue and Shine are both retired. (Maybe they could be convinced to come back though, given that they both did voice work for the Japanese dub of Mystic Force.)

I think a Boukenger 10 Years Later could possibly happen - we've never seen a full cast reunion, but most of them have worked with Toei again since Boukenger ended, plus it was a big anniversary. Beyond that, the only others I can see getting such a movie are maybe Go-onger, Gokaiger, or Kyoryuger (yes, Go-onger wasn't a mega hit, but it did sell a lot of toys)

Magiranger is still a horrid show

blasphemy! I felt it was at the peak of the 2000's before the franchise completely went downhill with Boukenger, but I don't think Toei would ever revisit the magician motif. like what Toku Prime predicted, we could see another police team in a few years.

I could see Bouken or Go-On happening. With Gokaiger I'd have a question mark over whether they could get Pink back, as I vaguely recall she left her agency about a year after Gokaiger finished and I don't know if it was because she was moving or retiring?

I don't think Toei would be interested in doing a Geki 10YA, as I'd heard the Japanese fans really didn't like that show (plus wasn't that the series where ratings took another big drop?). I doubt Shinken 10YA would happen just because Red's actor has spoken about being paid so little he couldn't afford to eat at times, and Toei are apparently being as tight-fisted as usual and paying the actors essentially the same wages that they received back when they were originally doing the shows, so I think they'd struggle to get him back. Gosei 10YA would have an issue with black (and pink?) having retired from acting.

I reeeally doubt they'd do it, but I'd love to see an Akiba 10YA :sweat:

I doubt Shinken 10YA would happen just because Red's actor has spoken about being paid so little he couldn't afford to eat at times, and Toei are apparently being as tight-fisted as usual and paying the actors the same wages as they got back when they were originally doing the shows.

that's not even the reason why Matsuzaka Tori doesn't reprise his role as ShinkenRed anymore. he's doing too well with his acting career for Toei to call him back. that story about him being getting paid so little was just him reminiscing about his days starting out as an actor. it's completely normal.