Well, I guess I can't speak for the masses, but I personally didn't poo-poo it, anyway. I had high hopes for it aside from a few perceived marketing demographic overextensions (like the T-X being a girl for no reason) but was let down when I saw the finished product. I felt like with T2, Cameron got to make a film more in the vein of what he had originally set out to accomplish, but got blinded a bit by all the money they had to throw around and ended up with a somewhat schlock-entertainment project that had lost the dark, driving elements of the original while it upped its explosion rate. The third was like more of 2 (which as you already pointed out was a little superfluous on its own), only worse. Hopefully, Salvation will be somewhere in between the first two films and will stay away from the Star Trek: Nemesis sydrome.