Tell me if you think this is disrespectful

DekaThunder Rider

The word of the day is YES!YES!YES!
I am certain some of you probably have experienced something similiar to this,or possibly could be experiencing it now.

I`m currently attending a community college.I go three times a week(once for writing,twice for math).In both classes computers are used,however the math class utilizes them more.

There are a few students in my math classes who feel the need to use the computers to play games,look on Facebook,watch YouTube videos(with the volume down)while my instructor is talking.She usually stays at the front of the room,but if she walks around the room(usually when she gives us problems to work out,to see how we`re doing and to help us if need be),those students quickly close their pages so they don`t get caught.However,as soon as she begins walking back towards the front,they`re back to "work"so to speak.She has actually caught them once and asked politely to knock it off,but sadly they don`t.I sit in back of these three,so I have a clear view of what they`re doing.

Today,one of the three showed up late to class.She immediately signed on and spent the entire time on Facebook,and decided to leave after 45 minutes.

A similiar incident happened last year in my first english class.This one guy would mosey on in late every week and promptly go to the computer to play.In that class,part of our homework was to bring in a magazine article to read as well as work in our workbooks.Every week the following conversation would take place:

Instructor:Barry(not his real name),did you bring in your article today?
Barry:Uh,no
Instructor:What about your homework?
Barry:Uh,I didn`t bring it in either

After which,my instructor would sigh and shake her head.What`s even worse, in the next-to-final week of that class,when he was told he was failing,he didn`t seem too upset about it.

Personally,I feel actions such as this are completely disrespectful,not just to the teachers,but to the class as a whole.If you`re just coming into class so you can fiddle on the computer,don`t show up.Nobody is going to send the truant officer after you if you don`t.You`re there to learn,better yourself,and possibly get a great career.If you don`t want to do that,drop out then.

I have been tempted to alert my math teacher of this,and I might possibly do so.But I also figure one day they will get caught.

So,what do you think?Do you think that`s disrespectful,and if you were a college instructor,what would you do if this happened in your class?
 
This happens anywhere too many a time and yes, it is disrespectful.

Still, there is nothing the instructor could do about their immaturity. This is college, not high school. The students should be able to decide what to do with themselves. It is their own responsibility to make sure they manage to get out with the grade and all, not the instructor
 
I do think it's disrepectful, but to be honest, I wouldn't really care at all. I mean you pay good money to take those classes, and if you're using that money just to go the internet and play games, you're just plain stupid. If you plan to do that, then you fail and you still have to take the class over again lol.
 
Yeah, when I was in college, I felt I was the only one serious student there. Everyone kept fucking around, making light of everything. Then when they have to get their work in, they say they didn't do it and don't care.

But honestly, I don't either. Well, about their problems. I mean, I do what I do, I don't have a right to say what they do. Because if they wanna **** themselves over, that's their problem, their fault.
 
Had the same happen with some dicks during my vocational training, almost made my temper explode one of those days. =\
 
Lol you would not believe the amount of friends I have that starts playing games or chat in my High School. Hell, I even do that sometimes. After all, I am the one paying the money. I'm not saying I don't care, but there ARE times when you need a break. I'm a fast learner, so whatever is being taught in the class that takes up to 1:30 hour to learn, I can learn it in 10-20 minutes, sometimes even less.

It's not a matter about being disrespectful. It's a matter of knowing you have the capability to risk wasting class time to play games because at the end, you're a really brainy person that doesn't need all that much time.

I enjoy studying and learning new stuff. My friends thinks I'm retarded (not really retarded, it's just the insult) for that. Doesn't matter cause in the end, I'm the one who passes and it's them who comes running to me asking for tutoring.
 
Everyone has all ready said everything. Just think nothing of it. You'll be the person who comes out on top instead of the time wasters. Their loss, not your problem. Some people don't even do it that much, some are fast learners, etc.

You know, I am not sure how many of you know this, but there is a program called DyKnow. It's a basically free program that you and teachers can use. Basically, the program allows teachers to send students notes in real time. It also allows the teacher to block the students out of doing anything else; so if you try to access the internet or something, you'll be stopped and your teacher will be alerted. I really love this program. One of my math teachers used it once. I wish more teachers would use this. It would keep students from goofing off and not paying attention like they should be doing. Not only does the teacher send you the notes that he/she make themselves, but you get to see them work out the material right then and there so you'll know how to do it yourselves. Great program. Really great. The laptops at my college come with that program all ready installed.
 
Sure it's disrespectful.. but it's College. Technically the teacher should go around the room and not even comment if she/he sees them on facebook/ etc. The teachers aren't there to baby the students anymore. It's their choice what they want to do with their money.. and if they want to blow it and not learn anything, then it's not the teacher's place to say anything.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top