Supergirl: The World Coming From DC This June

PopGeeks

Administrator
Supergirl is a global star, and one special hardcover coming soon from DC will make that fact front and center. Supergirl: The World is an anthology book containing fifteen new stories written and illustrated by talent from around the world. Supergirl will have over a dozen adventures in Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Cameroon, France, Poland, Turkey, Finland, Colombia, Serbia, Japan, and the United States, each written by folks who live and work in those regions. “Each region contributes an original story that reflects its own voice, artistic style, and cultural perspective, creating a global mosaic of what Supergirl represents to fans everywhere,” says DC. This is such a great idea, I don’t know why anybody hadn’t done it before — oh, wait. DC already released two previous volumes: Batman: The World and Joker: The World, which ran along the same lines. Well, no one told me! There are no plot details as of yet, but here are the writers and artists behind the fifteen stories: United States: Mariko Tamaki (writer), Skylar Patridge (artist), and Joëlle Jones (cover) Spain: Aneke (writer, artist, cover) Italy: Francesca Michielin (writer) and Federica Croci (artist, cover) Serbia: Uroš Dimitrijević (writer) and Stevan Subic […]
Read original article here:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Super excited for the Poland story! Anna Krztoń and Kasia Nie are both talented and I follow their work already. Seeing them on an official DC book feels huge for Polish comics. The whole concept reminds me of those European anthology albums but bigger. June can't come fast enough.
 
I actually like this kind of project more for Supergirl than Batman or Joker. Supergirl already feels like a character who belongs everywhere, not just one city. Having creators from different countries makes sense for her. I am curious how different she will feel in each place. Some versions of Supergirl are very hopeful, some are angry, some are lonely. I want to see how culture changes that. I also like that many artists are doing both writing and art. That usually makes stories feel more personal. The price seems fine for a hardcover with many stories. My only worry is quality balance. In anthologies, some stories are strong and some are forgettable. But even then, it is still fun to see new styles and ideas. I am especially interested in Japan, Brazil, and Cameroon because those are not places DC usually highlights. I will probably buy it even if I only love half of the stories.
 
This is the kind of book DC needs more of. Giving platforms to international talent instead of recycling the same 10 writers every year. Fernanda Chiella doing write and art for Brazil is perfect, her style always pops. Same with Mariana Moreno for Mexico. If the quality holds up across all 15, this might become a collector's item. Pre-ordering mine right now.
 
This lineup is honestly impressive. So many women creators in lead roles, which is great to see for Supergirl. Francesca Michielin from Italy is a singer but apparently she writes comics too? Interesting mix. Stevan Subic's art for Serbia always looks intense, that one could be a standout. Overall, this feels like DC trying to do something meaningful for once. Hope they keep this energy going.
 
I think this will depend heavily on tone. If every story just shows Supergirl being nice and inspiring people, it could get boring fast. I want conflict that feels real to each place, not just generic problems with a different background. I also wonder how much freedom the creators actually have. Sometimes big publishers say global voices, but still keep tight control. If they really let these creators tell stories their own way, then this could be special. I do like the list of countries. Some of them rarely appear in mainstream comics. That alone makes me curious. I am not rushing to preorder, but I will definitely pay attention when previews start coming out.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top