I liked him when he wasn't a god

You're quite right, I stand corrected. Apologies to Black Fang - I thought you were angry that it had a discussion thread, which didn't make sense, obviously every show has one.

But I still sigh at threads with people asking "am I the only one?" (what difference would it make if you were?) and making out they're the only one with taste who can see how bad this awful show is.

I think they were onto something with the dance motif, but a part of me wishes that they could have used something OTHER than dinosaurs.

Why? (I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking)

Last edited:
I second that motion. Granted I like Go-Onger. Kyoryuger I don't because it just doesn't seem to know how humor works. You can't just have people dance and to silly music and expect me to laugh. With Go-Onger you have racecar drivers fighting pollution monsters, THAT'S funny to me.

Did you just say that people actually think the show's funny because of the dancing?:sly::sly::sly:

there were a few episodes that impressed me but other than that, not a big fan of Kyoryuger either. oh and that one episode where they suddenly dunno how to fight anymore the moment their weapons and gimmicks were disabled. charming. honestly, the series is overpraised IMO.

there were a few episodes that impressed me but other than that, not a big fan of Kyoryuger either. oh and that one episode where they suddenly dunno how to fight anymore the moment their weapons and gimmicks were disabled. charming. honestly, the series is overpraised IMO.

They can't do any meaningful damage to the Extinctioners without their Armed On.

Also, it was only a few seconds between that and KyoryuViolet showboating. After KyoryuViolet's moment of fame ended, they did try to fight.

Eye See You
Best writing of any Sentai. It feels good not watching a filler fest.

I`d let Pink and Violet touch my pickle too.

There are elements of it that I don't like, but starting a bash thread just because you can't stand that anybody else likes it is a thoroughly graceless thing to do. You seem to be angry that Sentai isn't continuing in the vein of Go-Busters, and while I am sorry if you like Go-Busters, they can't afford to keep emulating a show that underperformed commercially.

First, you say that as though I think Go-Busters was some great masterpiece. I'm not annoyed that Kyoryuger doesn't take pages from Go-Busters. I'm annoyed that it takes pages from Teletubbies, Barney, and shows of that caliber.

You are absolutely proving the point I made in my own thread (that Sentai is criticised for "playing it safe" and Kamen Rider for supposedly straying too far from the principles of the franchise.) Sometimes they have to "play it safe" and do something they know is going to bring in money. Toei couldn't afford another Go-Busters this year.

Ultraman Ginga is also playing it safe, one could argue. Yet even Ginga doesn't feel the need to, to quote Shougo...
trying soooooooooooo hard to prove that it's "fun" and, therefore, not Go-to-sleepsters that it's just a kid on a sugar high who just did a line of nose whiskey and is zipping and bopping all over the place and is non-stop noise. It's bright! It's loud! They dance in the show, they dance in the credits! Even the mecha dances! There's music! Boomboom bangbang wire-fu! Look here at this bright thing, now over here at this shiny thing! Whoa-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa! What does samba have to do with dinosaurs? Who cares -- isn't this fun!?!!?!?!

The show just really smacks of out-of-touch bean-counters who just mashed together everything they think kids will like, rather than just put on a good show that people will like on their own.

One of the biggest complaints of the Japanese fanbase with Go-Busters was that they felt it was trying too hard to be mature and court an older audience at the expense of kids ...

Who the heck are those people, I wonder. I honestly don't see much difference between Go-Busters and a 90s Sentai. Were Megaranger, Gingaman (which Go-Busters naturally lifts from, given its a Kobayashi product and she tends to repeat certain things in her shows) and GoGoV "trying too hard" as well?

Myself, I never want to see another "serious" Sentai again. At this stage, I would actually prefer half an hour of zany hijinks over tightly-written plot and drama.

Batman and Robin is waiting for you.

But I still sigh at threads with people asking "am I the only one?" (what difference would it make if you were?) and making out they're the only one with taste who can see how bad this awful show is.

That's what you say.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
First, you say that as though I think Go-Busters was some great masterpiece. I'm not annoyed that Kyoryuger doesn't take pages from Go-Busters. I'm annoyed that it takes pages from Teletubbies, Barney, and shows of that caliber.

Given that Sentai in its current format is aimed at children of the same age group as those who watch Barney and Teletubbies, why are you surprised?

Ultraman Ginga is also playing it safe, one could argue. Yet even Ginga doesn't feel the need to, to quote Shougo...

He says:

The show just really smacks of out-of-touch bean-counters who just mashed together everything they think kids will like, rather than just put on a good show that people will like on their own.

Toei had to do something that would sell. So it makes sense they would fall back on kid-appeal. You can only afford the "storytelling first and the rest will follow" approach when your franchise is doing well, otherwise you risk a Hibiki (great ratings, financial disaster)

Who the heck are those people, I wonder. I honestly don't see much difference between Go-Busters and a 90s Sentai. Were Megaranger, Gingaman (which Go-Busters naturally lifts from, given its a Kobayashi product and she tends to repeat certain things in her shows) and GoGoV "trying too hard" as well?

I have no idea, but reportedly, it was a reaction of the lot of the Japanese fanbase. We had a thread about it back in the day, and even the head of Bandai acknowledged it with the "dark" excuse. Nostalgia filter? (a lot of the current bunch of adult fans would've been kids when Mega-Ginga-GoGoV were airing)

Batman and Robin is waiting for you.

What was wrong with Adam West and Burt Ward? :(

That's what you say.

Is it that important to you that others not like this show just because you don't? There's a difference between criticising a show vs obviously looking down on its fans and/or suggesting they "should" have better taste

Last edited:
Toei had to do something that would sell. So it makes sense they would fall back on kid-appeal. You can only afford the "storytelling first and the rest will follow" approach when your franchise is doing well, otherwise you risk a Hibiki (great ratings, financial disaster)

And yet, Kyoryuger's ratings are only 0.1% higher than Go-Busters based on the numbers available right now (series generally get lower numbers in later episodes too, so one wonders if it'll even keep that in the end).

Now, the toyline is selling better, but wouldn't that be due to the toyline itself? It has collectibles, something that Go-Busters completely lacked, more mecha that can combine in multiple ways, rather than Go-buster's triple transforming gimmick, and also the dinosaur theme, which seems always popular with Sentai toys.

Last edited: