School bans homemade lunches for health reasons

LI Public Highschool: I was able to only have Chicken Patties, with honey mustard, possibly fries (also drenched in Honey Mustard~), and Apple or Orange Juice. Thankfully, I was able to get aid (so lunches were half off or something), but the point is, that doesn't sound healthy...and I was able to have that every day :laugh:

Catholic Highschool: I was there my Senior year. I ended up bringing a sandwitch to school everyday. But if I wanted too, my friends at my table all chipped in and got fries, with some Honey Mustard on the side, or Blue Cheese. Also, I remember one of my friends got a Cuban sandwitch made for him, by the staff, pretty much everyday. I understand this ban is more for Public school than Private, but the point is, lunches suck :laugh:

Dude...what mystical plain of existence do you live in that there is so much honey mustard in your schools?! We had NONE! :laugh:
 
Dude...what mystical plain of existence do you live in that there is so much honey mustard in your schools?! We had NONE! :laugh:

Well, the Catholic school didn't have as much as the Public School :laugh: And if I remember correctly, the had an abundance in my first and second year...and didn't have as much in my third year :disappoin
 
As a dude who's been to a Catholic New York Elementary school, Long Island Public Highschool, and a Catholic New York Highschool. Let me say how my experiences were :laugh:

Catholic Elementary: I was really young, so I don't remember a lot. I remember little cartons with Milk, Chocolate, and Apple/Orange Juice. The food was crap. Unless they had Hamburgers (which, those weren't that good either :P) I would bring sandwitches in to school every day.

LI Public Highschool: I was able to only have Chicken Patties, with honey mustard, possibly fries (also drenched in Honey Mustard~), and Apple or Orange Juice. Thankfully, I was able to get aid (so lunches were half off or something), but the point is, that doesn't sound healthy...and I was able to have that every day :laugh:

Catholic Highschool: I was there my Senior year. I ended up bringing a sandwitch to school everyday. But if I wanted too, my friends at my table all chipped in and got fries, with some Honey Mustard on the side, or Blue Cheese. Also, I remember one of my friends got a Cuban sandwitch made for him, by the staff, pretty much everyday. I understand this ban is more for Public school than Private, but the point is, lunches suck :laugh:

From kindergarten to second grade, I attended a public school that went up to sixth grade. We could bring our own lunches.

From third grade to sixth grade, I attended a small private school that went from first grade to sixth grade. There was no lunch room and instead, we brought our own lunches to school, and ate our lunches in the CLASSROOM. Good times.

From seventh to eighth grade, I attended a Catholic school that went from kindergarten to eighth grade. That's the one where we could only have the school lunches. LAME!

Then there's high school I attended for all four years which was Catholic, where we could bring our own lunches of course, and even eat the school lunches.
 
This thread made me reminisce about my elementary and high school canteen which was as long as six basketball courts. The canteen is located on the second floor so you can watch the games being played on the courts and fields.

The food being served in the canteen ranges from local snacks (chicharon, kiamoy, cornicks, etc.) to restaurant fare (pasta, sushi, steaks, etc.).

Can't wait to go to the reunion in two years to see how much the school changed.
 
I used to work in a primary school and a lot of the kids were given packed lunches that were absolute crap - white bread, crisps, chocolate, biscuits, nary a salad or piece of fruit in sight. On the other hand, not everyone can afford for their kids to eat at school (In the UK you usually qualify for free school dinners if you are in a certain low income bracket, but even then they're usually not very nutritious) and I think it should be left to parents to decide what the child has for lunch
 
I'm glad this wasn't in place while I was in school. The slop the cafeteria fed me as a child was revolting. However, I hope they do institute better and healthier foods in the lunchrooms.

Hopefully no more mystery meat, taco salad with wilted lettuce, and chicken (?) nuggets.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top