School bans homemade lunches for health reasons

Lustful Butchery

Throwing Some Justice!
http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=604493

Students at Little Village Academy, a public school in Chicago, are no longer allowed to bring homemade lunches to school, unless they have a documented food allergy, according to a report by the Chicago Tribune. Children are instead forced to eat food served in the school cafeteria, or go hungry.

It's the latest move in a nationwide food fight that challenges nutrition values for students in many of America's schools. Yet, many parents are crying foul, not only after being prohibited from packing lunches for their children, but also considering the cost of five $2.25 cafeteria lunches per week. "We don't spend anywhere close to that on my son's daily intake of a sandwich (lovingly cut into the shape of a Star Wars ship), Goldfish crackers and milk," Northwestern education policy professor Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach wrote to the Chicago Tribune in an email.
A parent from another Chicago school agrees with the sentiment. "I can accept if they want to ban soda, but to tell me I can't send a lunch with my child. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????"

As principals try to counter obesity in their schools, healthy intentions can come across as overreach, occasionally sparking parent and student anger.

Soon, cafeteria offerings across the country will all be healthier, whether students like it or not. Last year's Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, championed by First Lady Michelle Obama, calls for higher nutritional standards to serve the 32 million kids who eat lunch every day at school (most of whom qualify for free or reduced price lunches through a federal government program). For the first time, the USDA will set calorie limits for school lunches, and will recommend they contain more vegetables and whole grains, and less salt, USA Today reports. French fries should be replaced by vegetables and fruit, the guidelines say.

Hmmm, I wonder who on that school board is related to the district's food contractor...
 
Very stupid, if you ask. :sly:

There's a very good reason why kids got their homemade lunches in the first place! What's in harm by bringing their favorite foods from home? I once had that homemade lunch before in my life.

Tell me..What's for health reasons?? Like what? Tell me a good example! Then I will understand..as of right now, I don't! >:(
 
It has some merit. This is related more towards to younger students in Pre-K and possibly up to Grade 1. Some kids don't know that they should not eat food that their classmates have. But to generalize it to the point that it affects the whole school is a bad decision. And yes, there's the backing from the Food Contractor.


I grew up with bringing my own food provided by my parents to school. And no, I didn't grew up in the US. In the US, school is free. I was actually shocked to see that they even serve free food at school. These things/services are provided by the Government, with the help of the Taxpayer's money. And people in power abuse it.
 
Ok, I live in Chicago and I'm currently in a middle school there and I can tell you this:

WTF IS WRONG WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD THERE!?!?!?

So, you're telling me, soon ALL schools in my city are gonna BAN home lunches!? Screw it, I'm gonna go hungry and bring my classmates with me to bring a protest against this. There is no good reason why to ban homemade lunches, there is NONE!!!!

Another thing :
French fries should be replaced by vegetables and fruit, the guidelines say.

............I am SO gonna kill the school board of food right now >:(
 
Another waste of Taxpayers' money. They already have a GIANT loophole in this. Just get something on food allergies from your doctor and you're set. And why would they monitor what you eat, it's the parents' as well as the students' jobs to do so. For shame....:nono:


Ok, I live in Chicago and I'm currently in a middle school there and I can tell you this:

WTF IS WRONG WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD THERE!?!?!?

So, you're telling me, soon ALL schools in my city are gonna BAN home lunches!? Screw it, I'm gonna go hungry and bring my classmates with me to bring a protest against this. There is no good reason why to ban homemade lunches, there is NONE!!!!

Another thing :


............I am SO gonna kill the school board of food right now >:(
Just bring one in and if they don't like it, band all the parents together and march on Big Brother. Ya don't have to kill anyone for that , plus it shows entire dissatisfaction. And if they don't care there's going off the grid or better yet , utilize tax evasion so to stop feeding the taxes to the schools and let them run dry.


It has some merit. This is related more towards to younger students in Pre-K and possibly up to Grade 1. Some kids don't know that they should not eat food that their classmates have. But to generalize it to the point that it affects the whole school is a bad decision. And yes, there's the backing from the Food Contractor.


I grew up with bringing my own food provided by my parents to school. And no, I didn't grew up in the US. In the US, school is free. I was actually shocked to see that they even serve free food at school. These things/services are provided by the Government, with the help of the Taxpayer's money. And people in power abuse it.


This is why I believe school should not be for free. It creates more entitlements which rot our system down to its core. Public Schools are more or less inferior and because of the horrible conditions and the overspending for them (While using our tax money even if you go to a private or don't have children who go there )makes for decadence and corruption. My suggestion is to only keep public education for the first 2-4 years , then leave them on their own to fend for themselves. If the kids wanna learn , they can go online and to the library if they want to ; sure its sounds harsh but there's no other solution is there? And if the parents do not want to send their children , it's THEIR problem , not anyone elses.
 
Last edited:
This is why I believe school should not be for free. It creates more entitlements which rot our system down to its core. Public Schools are more or less inferior and because of the horrible conditions and the overspending for them (While using our tax money even if you go to a private or don't have children who go there )makes for decadence and corruption. My suggestion is to only keep public education for the first 2-4 years , then leave them on their own to fend for themselves. If the kids wanna learn , they can go online and to the library if they want to ; sure its sounds harsh but there's no other solution is there? And if the parents do not want to send their children , it's THEIR problem , not anyone elses.

But then you're discriminating against those who can't afford school. Though to be fair, back in Asia, we do have public schools, but people still pay for it, though not much. Just enough for school supplies and what not. No food is supplied. Kids still need to come to school in uniform.
 
Stupid, some families can't afford to buy a lunch for their kids everyday, it's the sad world we live in. If they can find a way to make these nutritious lunches free I would be for it, but I doubt that will happen.
 
It has some merit. This is related more towards to younger students in Pre-K and possibly up to Grade 1. Some kids don't know that they should not eat food that their classmates have. But to generalize it to the point that it affects the whole school is a bad decision. And yes, there's the backing from the Food Contractor.


I grew up with bringing my own food provided by my parents to school. And no, I didn't grew up in the US. In the US, school is free. I was actually shocked to see that they even serve free food at school. These things/services are provided by the Government, with the help of the Taxpayer's money. And people in power abuse it.

It's not free, you still have to pay for the food in the cafeteria.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top