Power Rangers Mystic Force - Soul Specter on Jetix.TV!

Well, this episode is pretty good but again... little bit rushed. I loved the battle between Solaris Knight and Knight Wolf.

According to the captions closed, Daggeron said "Liambow". Yes... Liambow. Of course, Daggeron has been learned by Liambow, how to become a knight. Just like Blejiel did the same thing to Hikaru in Magiranger.

Yes, Udonna's husband is Liambow. Can't wait in the future between Nick, Udonna and Liambow.

So this episode gets 8 out of 10.

Next episode "Ranger Down"... it looks awesome. All NZ footages and less sentai footage. Jenji looks awesome in action. :buttrock:
 
So we do get to see Jenji fight next week. Nice. Also it was nice to watch this episode clearly and without worrying about loading lag and resolution issues.
 
Poweranimals said:

A mod can add one but I never think of those things when making a thread.

ForeverRed said:
According to the captions closed, Daggeron said "Liambow".

I should note thate CC has been wrong before. For Ninja Storms premier they called the "Kelzaks", "Kalzax"
 
GrnPsychoGarren said:
I should note thate CC has been wrong before. For Ninja Storms premier they called the "Kelzaks", "Kalzax"

They also called Lothor "Lothar" in that episode, and more recently:

"Calling Mystic Ranger!" in place of "Galwit Mystic Ranger!" in Broken Spell 2

and

"Make Ship Power, Mystic Spell Seal!" in place of "Ancient Power, Mystic Spell Seal!" in Stranger Within 2
 
"Soul Specter"

I tell ya, I hate being late. Oh well. Since I've read zero comments on this episode, everything I say will still be new to me. :)

So, Koragg's been away for a while, and he comes back with a new sword... which looks and seems just like his old one. A little anti-climactic, with him taking Morticon's sword and then doing nothing special with it. I suppose it could be worse. At least he's back, and he's still badass, not even taking **** from Imperius. That's my Kory.

Anyway, Clare and Jenji have integrated nicely into the show at this point. Rootcore seems a lot more alive now, but not at the cost of our core characters. Jenji is there to say wierd lines that no one else in the show would normally say, which are usually funny, and if you are one of those that doesn't like him, then he's still not in the way enough for you to be THAT irritated by him. Clare is caring of the dragon as it grows, along with its appetite... Watch your fingers, Clare.

The happiness comes to a halt when one of the most awesome-looking female monsters in the history of PR, along with a spider-monster (Spirex?!) attack civilians and steal their souls. I loved the effect of pulling their souls from their bodies- it looked excellent, and the villains actually really had a sense of threat to them. Especially since Imperius himself suggested that the female might replace Necrolai as second in command. Obviously, Imperius has got some connections with some of the OG monsters in the Underworld, while Necrolai and Koragg's batch just look like noobs in comparison. Heh.

So, Chip is unable to save some humans from getting their souls swiped, and puts himself down for it. I enjoyed this. He's not just laughing about how "TOTALLY RAD" every little thing about being a superhero is- he's actually faced with a situation which he doesn't feel equipped to handle, and feels terrible about it.

The theme is excentuated heavily by the trap Necrolai sets with the Soul Specter, which leaches his body, trying to destroy his soul. If you want to look at this metaphorically, you could say that the Soul Specter itself represents Chip's self-doubt. It's eating away at him until it destroys his soul.

Speaking of which, Nic Sampson did a pretty good job all the way through the episode, but I really felt the pain that was inflicted by the Soul Specter. That was one fearsome piece of magic, thanks in no small part to the effects team- kudos on that one.... Though... I have no idea if Magi played a part in this at all. I'll look it up when I finish writing this.

Now, Chip has something killing him inside, and the only way to get it out is to get a mystical staff hidden in Mount Isis. I wonder if there's a particular point to calling it Isis... In any case, Daggeron is the man for the job, while the other Rangers go out to face the two monsters for the 5736389th time. Interesting to note that it looks like one of the fight sequences with the female was filmed in the same place that they fought Super-Necrolai in "The Gatekeeper."

Now.... Okay, we have to back up a bit here. Because I just cannot ignore the worst part of this episode. The spider makes a big web thingy and the Ranger need to get to him, so, instead of doing the sensible thing, which is to call their FLYING VEHICLES, and fly over to him LIKE THEY WERE JUST DOING FIVE SECONDS PRIOR, they decide that they're going to try to tightrope-walk their way over to him. Why do they do this? Your guess is as good as mine. I would have done anything for them not to use that footage, especially seeing as how it also includes the Lameass Muscles.

And, while I'm on the subject, what happened to Daggeron's Lameass Flying Carpet when they were traversing the treacherous Mount Isis? A good throwaway line about Mount Isis having a mystical shield or something could have been useful here in making the lack of flying vehicle use seem just a little more palletable.

Those few gripes aside, the episode flowed pretty nicely all the way through. Koragg's attack on Daggeron, who morphs as he is being blasted, was pretty cool. It reminded me of an episode of Dairanger where Ryo is blasted, and consumed by a (really flamey) explosion, and then just emerges as Ryuranger. Again, I'm wondering what Magi did... The battles between the two knights were both awesome. I love how Koragg talks to Solaris. "And you call yourself a knight. What a laugh!" HA! I love that! The zord battle was pretty cool, although I have to say, now that I've watched the eps enough times, the theme music for the Solar Streak sounds so bizarre to me. I guess they were trying to give some "railroad-esque" sound to it. I wish Solaris himself had a theme (and if he does, I guess I missed it).

So, after pseudo-owning Koragg, Daggeron gets the staff and uses it to exorcise the Soul Specter. I kind of wish Chip had been the one to get the staff, but at least Daggy said "Fight it" so that I could pretend that Chip played a part in his return to battle. I mean, that is a major part of what the episode is about. At least he comes back swinging, saving the other Rangers' butts, and then they grow from underneath the monsters foot. "You picked the wrong Ranger to mess with, lady!" HA! :)

The female didn't explode, which makes me wonder if she's one of those Hell God thingies Magi people have been talking about... Gahd, I'm really starting to hate that I know all this random crap about Magi/MF before it happens. I know it won't happen, but I really wish people would stop talking about it...

The final act was great. We surprisingly come back to the idea that Chip is into archery, and Daggeron shows him that he's a pretty good archer himself. Plus, Daggeron is going to teach Chip to be a knight... whatever that means. Plus, more mention of Daggy having been taught by Kor-- er, Lienbow, Udonna's husband. All this talk about Daggy's old mentor, and the regret he feels for not having been there to "save" him should really make the final revelation amazing. This is why continuity between episodes is so important. And I love that MF hasn't had a single episode that could truly be called a filler.

In closing, the story of the episode was great, the continuity was great, the action was pretty nice, but... yeah, the wierd use, and lack of use, of the flying vehicles takes things down a notch. What would have gotten an A- is getting a B- instead. And that's pretty much the average grade I've been giving MF eps recently. They're all good in their own way, with... one or two logistical problems. Egh. Better luck next time, I guess.
 
Dr. Tristan said:
Gahd, I'm really starting to hate that I know all this random crap about Magi/MF before it happens. I know it won't happen, but I really wish people would stop talking about it...

That's something I regret. I really regret getting myself into sentai, because it's just like PR. It's hard to get out of it or just stop watching it. I wish I could go into PR with a sense of complete mystery like you, not knowing anything or having seen anything of the sentai counterpart. I think I would enjoy each season far more.

And it would be nice to seperate Sentai and PR discussion because I hate it when I just get into Sentai discussion in the middle of a PR discussion. I dont really want to sit there and act like everything sentai does PR will do. Dont want to compare them as often as it happens.

Every year I say to myself "I'll not watch this sentai season." so I can go into PR fresh but oh, it's too hard. >_<

Anywho, yeah I hated that Koragg just turns Morticons sword into a copy of his original sword. Did the same in Magiranger and I thought it was lame back then.

I loved Koragg's shield attack. Kewlest attack ever. (The attack where he places the shield on the ground)
 
this one was pretty good. the koragg and solaris knight fight was pretty cool and the 'soul specter' was actually interesting to watch.
this one felt a little rushed, probably b/c of the 30 min. limit, but other than that it was good.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top