Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie

As I mentioned before, I supervised the English subtitles, and whomever said it was exactly right: we targeted non-fan Westerners with no knowledge of Ultraman. There are hopes that this film would help indoctrinate people new to the franchise; people like me.

So the question is, would literal translations have made that big a negative impact? The answer is: yes, we felt so. Certainly the subs we received which had clearly been done by non-native speakers were borderline unintelligible in many places, and certainly not colloquial, nor particularly good "writing." There was going to be a trade-off: something approaching good English, colloquial dialog, or direct Japanese translation. We knew the hardcorers would re-sub it anyway, and we decided to keep the goal on bringing in a wider audience. For what it's worth, working with me on it was a top Hollywood writer, who is a life-long, die-hard Ultraman fan. Owns-an-apartment-in-Tokyo kinda fan.

I remember doing the re-mix for Cowboy Bebop, which went through the same thing - the English crew was great, and the dialog totally colloquial, but not dead-nuts accurate. Some people, whoo boy they got rattled by that. But tons of new fans came to the series.

In any case, certainly if you can TELL the subtitles aren't always literal translations, because you can read Japanese, you're definitely not who the subs were targeted at. Buy it, re-sub it, and celebrate the opportunity to reach out to a wider audience. That's my take on it. When I came to the project, there was no plan to do English subtitles at all, but I wouldn't shut up about it, especially the whole time we were in Japan - I really felt it was important to do, even though apparently it could be quite expensive. I even told them that no shortage of fans would do it for free. Turns out, two did :) Ultimately, I don't want to take credit for what was clearly a good call, but I, for one, am glad to be able to show the film around town as is.

_Mike
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, Mike!

Having heard about the subtitles (which aren't too bad, IMHO) from other readers, this will certainly not stop me from planning on getting the Blu-Ray release. That I certainly want to do.
 
In any case, certainly if you can TELL the subtitles aren't always literal translations, because you can read Japanese, you're definitely not who the subs were targeted at.

QFT. Most of the changes that stood out were lines to the effect of "Now it's time for me to say something badass!" That's the kind of Japanese that long-standing fans of J-superheroes already have committed to heart. With lines like that, the content of what's being said rarely matters. What's really important is that it makes them sound like a badass.

And as much as we long-time fans of Japanese superheroes have trained ourselves to think that "The real battle... has just started!" and such sound badass, we need to acknowledge that those lines are really nothing that any native English speaker would say, or write as dialogue for a movie of their own.

The difference in cultural idioms is just something that translators need to deal with. Whether it's deciding how literal to make your subs, whether to omit honorifics, or translate "henshin," you need to figure out what's best for the audience you're aiming for.

Given the type of movie this is, I have mega-respect for Tsuburaya for making the call that they did. I think it's going to do a lot more for the Ultraman franchise than a literal translation would have.
 
Well that's the thing - these weren't choices made lightly, nor ignorantly. There were lots of words/phrases in the original that would make non-inductees bristle ("Yeah! That's Mega-cool!";"You're our important crewmate!"). English has the advantage (?) of being able to say the same thing 1000 ways with varying levels of poetry, or attitude, and ultimately, what we focused on was what any dialog writer would focus on - is the attitude of the line in character with who's saying it, colloquial, and distinctive? When I did the King's speech at the end, for example, I was definitely making sure the English itself had a solid, native internal rhythm to it. That sort of thing.

Honestly, when I was writing the music for UGL, I thought constantly about the fans' expectations; about what had come before and what was expected. But Tsuburaya was very clear that they wanted me to do the "Hollywood" thing; the Western thing. There was always the idea of bringing those different sensibilities together. Everyone felt it worked well for the music, so we approached the subs the same way. It's a great film and deserves to be absorbed by a wider audience than graces the halls of henshinjustice.net, wonderful though this place is. This sort of approach helps make inroads to that end. Now it's time for you guys to band together and get a Comic-Con booth or something :)


_Mike
 
Here is my favor:

Original:
本との戦いは...ここからだぜ!/ The real battle.. has just started!
Sub:
Looks like someone else... is going to the Graveyard first!


God, i remember this line ... to me, it didn't sound too weird when you say it out (you know, when you do your own "dubbing" while watching the movie lol) but it makes me wanna watch the movie again :D
 
Mike--I'm very glad you did push for them. Like I said, I can't speak to their down-to-the-last-detail accuracy but the subs certainly felt very fitting. Completely enjoyed it and glad they were there. That feature is what made me decide to get the Blu-ray.

Love the score btw. Loved the brief reprises of the past Ultra themes.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top