Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie

woah.....Welcome Mike!!!!!!! The movie looks awesome. And the Ultra Universe has been expanded with this new movie. Even I, who never thought he would watch a Ultra Series, is currently watching 6 series. So it is ver big, and will be bigger once the movie is out, so we can see the awesomeness up front.
 
Hi, yes I'm the composer for MMB:UGL. I just completed work on the film last week, and am mixing the soundtrack this week. I was poking around a bit on teh interwebs, seeing what sort of buzz/etc. was happening. One thing is clear to me, being new to the Ultra universe - it's a far, far bigger phenomenon than I had any idea about going into it. Very cool...


_Mike

You're the composer? That's awesome! I'm a huge movie score geek. :thumbs:

Any chance the score will be released in the States?
 
Hi, yes I'm the composer for MMB:UGL. I just completed work on the film last week, and am mixing the soundtrack this week. I was poking around a bit on teh interwebs, seeing what sort of buzz/etc. was happening. One thing is clear to me, being new to the Ultra universe - it's a far, far bigger phenomenon than I had any idea about going into it. Very cool...


_Mike

Oh, wow! What's your name? (EDIT: Oh, wow, I'm dumb. :laugh: ) I'd been wondering who they were using to score this film. I loved Sahashi's scores for the last two but I was kind of hoping we'd get to hear something new this time around.

Was the music in the trailer yours?
 
Last edited:
His name is Mike Verta. :thumbs:

Hey, looking you up on IMDb, I see that you've worked with Koichi Sakamoto a bit. Is that how you snagged this movie?
 
I do not know what the plans are for release in the States, actually, though I don't see why not.

The music in the trailer is NOT from the score, and in fact, is not the style of the music for the film. The score is heavily thematic, "epic orchestral" with many different colors of percussion, orchestra, choir, etc.- some colors are savage and brutal, some triumphant and heroic, some nearly quasi-religious. When you have a film with such big things happening in it, the score has be to able to support the full range of drama, and when you have so many characters and locations, etc., strong themes help to both identify and unify what's going on.


_Mike
 
His name is Mike Verta. :thumbs:

Hey, looking you up on IMDb, I see that you've worked with Koichi Sakamoto a bit. Is that how you snagged this movie?

Actually, no! The producer, Mr. Okabe, was actually one of my first film scoring clients, many years ago. I wrote the music for a trilogy of films called the 'D' (Dark Soldier) films, which he produced, so he thought of me for Ultraman. I only found out Koichi was directing the film at the very end of our first meeting to discuss my writing the music. I'm a big fan of Koichi, so that pretty much sealed it for me :)


_Mike
 
I do not know what the plans are for release in the States, actually, though I don't see why not.

The music in the trailer is NOT from the score, and in fact, is not the style of the music for the film. The score is heavily thematic, "epic orchestral" with many different colors of percussion, orchestra, choir, etc.- some colors are savage and brutal, some triumphant and heroic, some nearly quasi-religious. When you have a film with such big things happening in it, the score has be to able to support the full range of drama, and when you have so many characters and locations, etc., strong themes help to both identify and unify what's going on.


_Mike

Nice! I'm very excited to hear your work for this film, sir! I heard a little bit of your music on your website so I'm intrigued as to what the score for the new film will sound like.

On a side note, I'm wonderfully pleased to know Tsuburaya didn't pull a Final Wars with this film and chose the orchestral route once again.
 
It's orchestrally-based, certainly, but the beautiful thing about an orchestra is it can have almost any color or feel. The difference between this score and a straight symphonic score is that it has a lot of extra "War drum" percussion and unusual things to it, additionally. Cheesy orchestral writing is the fault of the writing, not the orchestra; you just have to know how to use it; when to be thematic, when to be textural, when to use dissonance, etc.

I can't think of any music on my site which is particularly representative of the score... plus, I think as artists we only (hopefully!) get better with experience. In any case, it was a composer's dream project, in terms of the scope and scale of the drama.


_Mike
 
Actually, no! The producer, Mr. Okabe, was actually one of my first film scoring clients, many years ago. I wrote the music for a trilogy of films called the 'D' (Dark Soldier) films, which he produced, so he thought of me for Ultraman. I only found out Koichi was directing the film at the very end of our first meeting to discuss my writing the music. I'm a big fan of Koichi, so that pretty much sealed it for me :)


_Mike

I love amazing coincidences like that.

Nice! I'm very excited to hear your work for this film, sir! I heard a little bit of your music on your website so I'm intrigued as to what the score for the new film will sound like.

On a side note, I'm wonderfully pleased to know Tsuburaya didn't pull a Final Wars with this film and chose the orchestral route once again.

Oooh, website. *goes to check* Hey, Jim Thatcher's on there! He's an awesome guy.

Any chance you could hook us up with some snippets of the score from the film?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top