Mark Millar Explains His Vision on the Man of Steel

The Ultimates is some of the best comics I've ever read

I never said it was crap, but Miller's cyncial, dry and angsty take on heroes works better with the flawed Ultimate Universe.

But, again, it doesnt fit Superman. Angsty **** is becoming passe, people don't want a superhero 9/11 rammed down their throats every five minutes...look at why Iron Man was succesful, it didnt take itself seriously, yet had enough gravitas to be an action peice you could follow. The sequel is going to have heavier material, but poured on top of that first movie's sense of fun and confidence
 
This whole Michael Corleone vibe is what's putting me off. It's got dark and dreary written all over it, and Superman at his core is not an icon who's anchored in darkness.

The character, not so much. The character of Superman does the best job he can at making the best out of his cicrumstances. Due to the way he was raised, he holds a very optimistic view.

But the story? He comes from a world that was destroyed and lives as an outsider, hiding his true self from the rest of the world. He's destined to outlive everyone. We know it's bound to happen. He's practically a god. I'd actually like to see something epic like this. Done right, it has a lot of potential. I don't think he wants to ruin Superman, just do something big with the character.
 
The thing I don't like is the notion that one could condense Superman's entire life into an "eight hour movie."
 
The Ultimates is some of the best comics I've ever read and I don't think he said he'd leave Supes on a dead planet.

It said he'd end up at the end of the-- oh wait, he did. I thought that was going to be the end of the first movie, which would have been cool to see him lose his powers at the end of, looking up at a red sun. Or even better, the end of the second film.

Him standing at the end of it all..... I dunno... that is some seriously epic imagery. I imagine he is figuring Superman to be immortal and being a protector of Earth for as long as its sun burns yellow.

I'm sorry, but I think he has the right idea.

Yeah, but you liked Mystic Force. :laugh:

Seriously though, like others have said, why would he stay on Earth if everyone's dead? Surely there's gotta be other places to go.

The Ultimates is an interesting comic, but it has a formula I can't really stand, that of the gritty comic we get all the damn time these days. There's 27 pages of badass and then a "shocking twist!" right at the end where a major character gets killed, beaten up, raped, etc etc.
 
I'm beginning to think DC & Warner are being very spiteful about Superman. They've bastardized the character in the past 20+ years, but THIS takes the taco.

One reason is that DC is in a legal tangle with the Siegel and Shuster estates over the rights to Superman. If Siegel/Shuster wins, I won't weep. Superman would be mercifully out of DC's hands, and wind up in the hands of people who really care.

DC doesn't care much for Wonder Woman, either. They have to keep doing comics, or they have to hand the rights back to Marston's estate. She's rarely a girl's role model anymore, but a men's sex fantasy (or, dare I say it, a rape victim).

If this "trilogy" gets made, it will flat out bomb at the box office. I guess that's what DC/Warner's counting on. After all, Batman matters more than anyone else.

Fair trade: I'll accept this trilogy, if Batman dies in his next film. After all, Batman's one movie away from being an "epic trilogy!"
 
Clark/Kal-El doesn't have any powers once he leaves our solar system. Why doesn't he just go live out his life on another planet, in another system, as a mortal?
 
Clark/Kal-El doesn't have any powers once he leaves our solar system. Why doesn't he just go live out his life on another planet, in another system, as a mortal?

Because Earth is his home. Besides, our solar system isn't the only one to have a yellow sun.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top