Manga Vs Western Comic

Also, France has the best comic book culture on Earth, so if it's about culture then both Japanese and American stuff loses.
 
Also, France has the best comic book culture on Earth, so if it's about culture then both Japanese and American stuff loses.

I agree with this statement. That Comic/manga display they had at the Louvre was pretty neat too. Actually wasn't there only one or two manga artists? I know for a fact Hirohiko Araki was one.
 
If this were five years ago, I would have easily said manga. I don't even think I was even reading any American comics at that point.

Today, it's just the opposite. I've explored way more US comics over the last few years than manga. At best, I'll find a manga volume at the library and check it out, but I'll usually never get around to reading it.
 
Also, France has the best comic book culture on Earth, so if it's about culture then both Japanese and American stuff loses.
From what I have seen the Italian scene is wonderful too, in general the mainland European comic culture is fascinating. And this comes from a out and out superhero fan.

The fact of the matter is that both mainstream American and Japanese comics are schlock, doesn't mean they can't be entertaining. The whole "which is better" debate is just fans trying to justify their hobby by going, "hey at least it isn't that."

And a while back I heard mention that mainstream comics aren't worth serious discussion. If this refers to the actual literary merit of most of them I can agree to that, I am a big Claremont fan after all and I have no illusions about what I am reading. But if it also includes their role as a societal mirror among other aspects I must strongly disagree.
 
I would prefer manga though,probably due to there having a wide range of genres and styles.
But then again,I never really bothered touching western comics,only reading Alien Omnibus and some predator carp.
 
This is a rather silly question, since not only is this a very cultural issue, but it's heavily dependent on the writers and artists working on any given work.

That said, I'm going to say Western comics. There's something about the paneling and pacing in a lot of Manga that just doesn't work for me.
 
Most DC and Marvel I read seem rather boring to me a lot of actions, but I can't seem to find the plot in it. Every week there new issue feature new villains except some occassion there would be big villain last longer. I like Manga because more genre and I can feel the story.
 
From what I have seen the Italian scene is wonderful too, in general the mainland European comic culture is fascinating. And this comes from a out and out superhero fan.

The fact of the matter is that both mainstream American and Japanese comics are schlock, doesn't mean they can't be entertaining. The whole "which is better" debate is just fans trying to justify their hobby by going, "hey at least it isn't that."

And a while back I heard mention that mainstream comics aren't worth serious discussion. If this refers to the actual literary merit of most of them I can agree to that, I am a big Claremont fan after all and I have no illusions about what I am reading. But if it also includes their role as a societal mirror among other aspects I must strongly disagree.

You can't say this and then cite Claremont, of all people. Seriously.

Anyway, I only have a few manga I really like, but I have dozens of solid runs of superhero comics that I love.
 
i own large collections of both but the way characters change under the watch of one writer or another is one reason why western Comics are not as good as manga story an character continuity is more solid in Manga so better stories can be built

and yet again i bring up the movies that are spawned for each for example V for vendetta vs 20 Century Boys the cannon issues in all movies that that come from Comics and Graphic novels are Well documented especially Alan Moore's work
while 20 Century boys is pretty much to the word copy of the manga evne in this era of story decompression they manged to cover all 200 chapters in the 3 movies with no filler
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top