Kamen Rider The Movie 40th Year Anniversary project

Zaido > Beetleborgs, Masked Rider, and Mystic Knights.
At some point, yes. I agree with FK here.
Like what I ahve said in my post, it had good points on me. It's just the nostalgia that makes people think that it disgraces Shaider. And as I said, they could have done better on it.
 
I enjoy a reinvention every now and then. For instance, The First suits are excellent homages to the classic outfits, while still looking wonderfully modern. I'd prefer that they'd used the new suits whenever they need to bring back those Riders, once the original actor has passed away. Like retiring a jersey.

I recently started looking into Ultraman (With the Ultra Galaxy Movie - Ultraman is still hit or miss for me) and the Ultraseven X project updated the Ultraseven suit. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough that I think the new suit should have been used for future Ultraseven appearances.
[HIDE]
UltrasevenX14.jpg
[/HIDE]

Another long-running Japanese franchise slightly updated an original design with Gundam, with the original RX-78-2 design slowly getting tweaks as the years have gone on.
 
I think some minor design changes for the suits wouldn't be very problematic, mostly changing materials, fixing proportions and adding details, like the The First Rider 1 and the first Rider 1 suit from the tv show. That was basically what Gundam did with the original design throughout the years, even for the giant statue. The colors all follow the original, but it has added details and tweaked proportions. I don't think anyone would complain if the old Riders were redesigned to that level.

However, even The First movie itself which got Rider 1's original outfit mostly right went and changed Rider 2's color scheme for no reason (giving him green stripes rather than white/silver and also making the green more grayish).

If they ever get around to making redesigns to replace the suits used by the Showa Riders in returning appearances, they'll need to keep the colors and general shapes, otherwise they just won't be accepted.
 
Last edited:
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can't really see the need for reinvention and I'm glad we're getting the original, proper Rider 1/2/V3 costumes now instead of the revamped FIRST/NEXT ones. Those are fine, but they feel like different characters to me, with a different aesthetic that's further away from the newer TV Riders than the old ones are. In their own world/movies, they work fine, but put them next to Double or OOO and I think they clash in a way the old designs don't. Also, as 'updated' as a redesign may be, it's still going to go out of style eventually- everything shows its age in time, no matter how "timeless" we want to think of it. I'd rather see them pushing forward with new stuff than remaking old stuff. If you want the old stuff, just bring it back the way people liked it the first time. You can remake the costumes like they did in All Riders or do the idealization thing like in Spirits (where Rider 2 finally has a consistent helmet) but that's as far as it should go.

If they want to make a new Rider in the style of the old ones that uses some the revamp movie-style techniques in the design, that's cool. It's a new character. Sort of like how Mebius, despite being in the classic timeline, takes after some later Ultramen design-wise. But they should leave the past guys as they are because they're what made Kamen Rider popular in the first place. It sounds silly now to say they should redesign Kabuto or Double... but that's exactly what they will say eventually.
 
Hm... Thinking about the information known so far about this movie, I've just realized something I had overlooked.

The only part of the story that we've seen so far talked about OOO and Den-O going to Rider 1's world. I guess that explains why the list of villains was basically filled only with Showa era villains. The villains will all be from Rider 1's world. (Well, aside from the Mole Imajins, who might attack in the beginning of the movie to trigger the beginning of OOO and Den-O's travel).

Although I don't know how the other Heisei Riders would fit in that context.
 
I think some minor design changes for the suits wouldn't be very problematic, mostly changing materials, fixing proportions and adding details, like the The First Rider 1 and the first Rider 1 suit from the tv show. That was basically what Gundam did with the original design throughout the years, even for the giant statue. The colors all follow the original, but it has added details and tweaked proportions. I don't think anyone would complain if the old Riders were redesigned to that level.

However, even The First movie itself which got Rider 1's original outfit mostly right went and changed Rider 2's color scheme for no reason (giving him green stripes rather than white/silver and also making the green more grayish).

If they ever get around to making redesigns to replace the suits used by the Showa Riders in returning appearances, they'll need to keep the colors and general shapes, otherwise they just won't be accepted.
In a way, this has been done.
Nowadays when a Rider returns or debut, their suits are always well taken care of, shiny and highlighting everything.
One thing I noticed in the movies of the 70's is how weird the suits would look at times, in part it's the quality of the video because it doesn't highlight the best features of the Riders, but there's also some amount of dirt to them since they've been rolling around with monsters for a while.
In All Riders for instance, Riders from this era got the same visual treatment Riders of nowadays get. They looked colorful and their suits even shined. That seemed like an improvement to me while still keeping the original costume.
 
I don't know if someone already asked this, but why do you guys think Toei is making New Den-O and Birth main characters alongside Ichigo, Den-O and OOO? Could it be for advertising reasons or did they think those two might make the movie more interesting?

Although, if Kotaro is joining the fight, there could be a chance we see him turn Ryutaros into a weapon like he did with Kintaros and Urataros in Episode Blue. I would love to see that.
 
Could it be for advertising reasons or did they think those two might make the movie more interesting?

Yes.

Actually, I suspect the budget they're spending on the 40th Anniversary would've otherwise gone into making the next Den-O movie anyway. So Toei might as well give New Den-O some props while the company's at it.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top