Kamen Rider Hibiki: Thoughts and Opinions

When it comes to Hibiki while I agree with the idea that what a Kamen Rider is can be more flexible than a strict a-b-c adherence to "guy is captured by evil organization and turned into a kaizo ningen yada, yada.." I think there are times when it goes a little off the rails in concept and/or design and feels more like the Rider name is being stamped onto whatever show idea happens to come across Toei's desk and that's basically how I felt about Hibiki and Den-O.

Like I said in a podcast thing I sat in on a while back, if it were "Sonic Senshi Hibiki" or something rather than it being sold to me as Kamen Rider, I'd probably have less of an issue with it. If there's an idea for an original show then just do it and give KR a year off or something rather than trying to wedge every idea into one of only two brands.
 
What exactly is the significant change between the show's two halves? It's been a while since I have watched Hibiki, but I don't recall such an apparent obvious difference other than the second OP and cutting out the ED credits.
 
- The reduced use of the forest, mountains etc as sets.
- Apparently the use of the claws and fire breathing.

There weren't any major changes but I guess the "artistic style" found early in the series was reduced or removed.
 
The greatest change was probably just the melodrama that was added to the show. Some people don't like it and while I think it can be a little difficult to handle at first, it didn't really hurt the show too much at all. At times it would even expand upon the characteristics of people who were rather dry through most of the first half. I know just watching Ibuki alone is enough to prove it, the guy's character is sort of night and day when you compare him from before and after the staff change. While I did enjoy that his character grew a little more, I'm also not the biggest fan because I felt that the actor probably couldn't carry what they wanted to do with Ibuki by that point.

A lot of the other stuff is purely superficial at first, but then by the end of the series you do see how it sort of contributes to the overall change in tone of the series. (which I've always felt was more of a subtle thing than all out change) There's also the introduce of Kiriyama as a character, I don't think there's anyone who can claim that he would become a part of the series under the original heads of the show, everything about him just reeks of the qualities found in Rider shows found up to that point. At his best, he's a good foil to Asumu, at his worst, he's a really annoying brat.

And of course there's also what becomes of Asumu, and the sudden dropping of music for his career as a doctor. I think it sort of fits with his character, but the transition just wasn't pulled off all that well.

There's also that ending, and I don't think anyone can argue that was anywhere near what was originally intended as the ending, it's basically a rehash of a conversation had earlier on in the show. That said, I think it also sort of shows that a lot of really meaningful words can be overlooked at first.
 
So, did they ever explain why the Makamou started appearing in cities aside from the obvious influence from the new staff? Was there ever a explanation? That was what bugged me in the second half.
 
IS THIS A RIDER?! I DON'T KNOW!

I did hear that it's an amazing show, but from reading this thread, apparently, people think it's just okay.
 
IMO it IS an amazing show. It is better than most Heisei Riders in the first 10 years. Its just the difference in style that throws people off I think. The best thing about it are the meaningful messages it gives to younger and older people through the development of a mentor and a student. It kinda tackles common issues experienced by adolescences as well. Overall it is a far better written show than the majority of the Heisei Era. The stylised directions (lighting, sets and more) found in the first half were amazing.
 
Last edited:
I'll die for another series like Hibiki, watching a mentor/apprentice relationship between the main cast, with the same dynamics from the Hibiki first half. I'd always liked how the cast had a happy aura around them despite the show's darker parts. A Hibiki reboot that follow through what the original production team and writers did would be great, but we all know that won't happen. By the way I heard that one of the young actresses from the show passed away? :<
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top