Kamen Rider Hibiki(Good or bad?)

Hibiki was a series that I was more intrested in the characters INSIDE the rider forms than the actual riders themselfs. Which shocked the hell out of me to say the least!

I still have yet to finish up the series myself (still about 6 or 7 episodes to go), but I really enjoyed Hibiki. Even the "slowish" first 30 episodes.

-RF
 
Good points JFC.

Personally, I went into it for the first two episodes comparing it to other Kamen Riders, but when I decided to give it more of a shot I knew that doing that was kinda wrong, so I went into 3-8 thinking of it as simply a toku show, not part of any famous, pre-exisiting franchise. But even looking at it simply as another "Tokusatsu Hero", I couldn't get into it. I didn't actually like many of the characters (though I did find Hibiki to be a really cool guy), and the story was just not something that seemed to have anything to keep me going. The idea of musical weapons, while nowhere close to a major gripe of mine, weren't too interesting (though that might improve if I ever decide to sit down and watch long enough to meet Todoroki :anime: ).
 
I thought the idea of music weapons was stupid at first. I couldn't picture how anyone would be able to write it so that it didn't seem so weird, but I was proved wrong. The way they set up the Takeshi history and how you need pure sound to defeat a Makamou was pretty cool. Plus, it seemed less gimmicky than the previous three riders series.

Like it's been tons of times before, the main aspect of Hibiki wasn't about fighting monsters, it was about watching the personal growth of the people who interacted with the Oni and saw their every day life. Asumu went from being a meek and meager little kid, to someone who ended up having enough confidence in himself to try and be an Oni and to eventually give it up and not feel ashamed. I even saw some of Asumu in Todoroki, he was basically a grown rider that people could realistically identify with, casting aside the mannerisms first, and you'll have the core of a lot of people. Stepping out into the world on your own for the first time, not knowing if you'll be able to live up the expectations placed on your shoulders, giving others confidence when you yourself are unsure if you're the right person to do so. Todoroki was probably the best written character next to Hibiki by the end of it all.

And like people have said tons of times, if you can enjoy a show like Kabuto, then there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy Hibiki. The main reason people don't like Hibiki is because it "has no story", it does people just aren't seeing it for what it really is, because it's too weird and because all nuances of Kamen Rider history are basically dropped. Which I think are three really crappy reasons for not liking a show, but that's what half the toku world thinks now.

In the end, Hibiki's more about the characters than anything else...like three people have said already. I liked it as much as Agito, but in a different way that I liked Agito. The story arcs in the latter half were great, everything blended together perfectly and it literally never felt contrived or anything. All the final arcs naturally felt like they opened the door for each other. The main reason I loved Hibiki though was because it had the best cast in ages. Everyone blended together great and enjoyed being where they were. Plus, Hibiki did end up having a kickass bike.

The story came together really well at the end of the series. Even if they didn't end the fight with the Makamou, it felt like a better ending than having the enemy of the series die. It shows that it's going to be an ongoing fight and really gives a nice balance of good and evil feeling to the entire show.

The reviewer on JH said that some poeple have referred to Hibiki as "Kamen Rider in name only." I find this statement to be true, but for me, that's not a bad thing.
Thank ya.
 
^
^ It's good that you at least gave it a decent shot Zero. There are a lot of people who would not give it a shot just because it was so different. Sure it ended up not being your cup of tea, but at least you tried it out.

And yeah, Todoroki is quite the character. Did you see the eps when he was depressed because he thought Hinaka wanted to break up with him? :laugh:
 
Hibiki is great; I think people just expect something different and they're disappointed when they don't get it. Being different is one of its best traits though, and only the first couple episodes were slow for me. I greatly enjoyed the rest.
 
The character interaction was great. Every single character, including one-timers and guest, all had a special quality in their character. Kogure (Akira Fuse) was probably the funniest non-rider character in the series. Funny how the only character he couldn't "paddle" was Ibuki.
 
Most of the major points I would make have already been said, and far better than what I could try to mash out on the keyboard, but I will say this: I think JFC puts it best, about going into Hibiki with no expectations, because it's really such a different kind of show. I liked Hibiki for what it represented to me: yet another spin on the Rider legend. A very different spin than some of the others, but different, when done right, can be good, and I found Hibiki to be very good. What really sets the show apart, and is the make-or-break point for many, is this: Rather than focusing on a grand overarching plot with a lot of twists and centering on the Riders themselves, it's more like looking in on the Riders' story from the eyes of an outsider who also has to deal with the problems of his own life, and just kind of happens to get pulled deeper and deeper into the whole thing as the series goes on. It's a unique idea, and they pulled it off well enough.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top