Kamen Rider Drive Episode 26 - Where is Chaser headed to?

Lurker
If we're being honest, I don't see episodes 21-26 as great as many people here sees it :/ For example, there's the whole "why people weren't aware of the Roidmude situation." They tried to explain it, but it just cause an even bigger amount of questions. America being connected to Roidmude being one of them. I mean, Japan's just one country. I really doubt that even a hybrid is able to contain something THAT big. Plus, wasn't mentioned that there were at least some Roidmudes in America? Or is it just the one?

Chase is not really a human who falters over decisions. He runs according to whatever programming is on him.

The key point in the episode is accepting that protecting humans is hard-wired into him and rejecting whatever programming was done that obfuscated that.

If we're being honest, I don't see episodes 21-26 as great as many people here sees it :/ For example, there's the whole "why people weren't aware of the Roidmude situation." They tried to explain it, but it just cause an even bigger amount of questions. America being connected to Roidmude being one of them. I mean, Japan's just one country. I really doubt that even a hybrid is able to contain something THAT big. Plus, wasn't mentioned that there were at least some Roidmudes in America? Or is it just the one?

I totally forgot about that point.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Yeah the bit about Shin's father should really have come up sooner ><

They said in this episode it was "worldwide" if I remember right, though maybe they also said when Mach came to Japan they were returning to Japan too? I can't remember now.

Chase is not really a human who falters over decisions. He runs according to whatever programming is on him.

The key point in the episode is accepting that protecting humans is hard-wired into him and rejecting whatever programming was done that obfuscated that.
If that was the direction they were going to go in, then I think they shouldn't have wasted so much time on all the buildup. If it wasn't actually him being conflicted and merely him just dealing with conflicting programming in those earlier episodes, and now he can just not care because he's a machine, then they really did waste our time.

They could have done something much more interesting here, like making him aware of his programming but also aware he's killing his own kind, but this direction just makes him out to be more of a soulless machine than he was when he was explicitly working for Heart.

I'm inclined to blame this one. If buildup is wasted, then I'd say that's more the fault of the thing that wasted it rather than the buildup. Yeah, if it was going to be meaningless like this, then they probably should have gotten it over with earlier, but with what they had set up, it didn't have to be this way.

If that was the direction they were going to go in, then I think they shouldn't have wasted so much time on all the buildup. If it wasn't actually him being conflicted and merely him just dealing with conflicting programming in those earlier episodes, and now he can just not care because he's a machine, then they really did waste our time.

They could have done something much more interesting here, like making him aware of his programming but also aware he's killing his own kind, but this direction just makes him out to be more of a soulless machine than he was when he was explicitly working for Heart.

But see, they didn't waste time. This was Shinnosuke, Kiriko and Gou's story, not Chase. It was their development that was happening, not Chase's. Chase was never significantly conflicted, because he was a robot, while Shin, Kiriko and Gou had to make all the choices.

It was not until now that we know that a Roidmude can be "fixed" after being played with. It was not until now that Shinnosuke had to choose to destroy a potentially good Roidmude, even if we've seen other good Roidmude before. It was not until now that Kiriko had to choose to save a potentially dangerous Roidmude, even though most Roidmudes have been dangerous. It's not until now that Gou has had to deal with the idea that there was truly a Roidmude that could destroy or vindicate his beliefs, because most of the time he was proven right.

It's only now that Chase is given his own agency; This is where Chase's development actually starts happening.

I think what's happening here is that viewers are being fixated on the "cooler" Chase, electing to choose to view the show for him, and thus ignoring the story the writer's trying to tell.

It doesn't matter that it isn't Chase's story - he's still a character within it. Characters beyond the main ones can develop and have focus and they certainly should be written well and not treated simply as tools for the main cast. If the end result of everything that has happened up to now was that Chase was just going to magically get reset and go back to how he was before Heart got to him, as if he had never been the "Grim Reaper" and never defended Roidmudes, then they honestly might as well have captured him before Gou showed up and reprogrammed him for all the point any of this actually had.

Certainly, Shinnosuke had to deal with killing him and Kiriko had to deal with helping him while he was a potential threat, but neither of those things really had any impact in the long run because now he's back and on their side and nothing was ever really done with either of those things. At best, we got some minor filler plot out of it, but nothing really substantial for their character - the conflict between Gou and Kiriko would still be present if they'd skipped that because you still have their conflicting feelings for Chase.

Also, the problem is that what you're saying all hinges on the fact that Chase is a robot and there's this implied magical mind control with the programming going on here. If he were a purely sentient being, like a Fangire or an Orphenoch or even a Phantom, this would be unquestionably shallow writing. In the early part of the story, he was under Heart's control until he started remembering things, and thus began his conflict - this was before Gou even showed up. When he was freed of the control placed on him (by Medic at that point I think), while still wanting to defeat the Kamen Rider, he clearly was upset that the methods he was using against his will were not his preferred ones - this pretty clearly implied that he was not just a tool, up to that point, or if he was, he still had some kind of person within it. Did that person just cease to exist now? And is it okay to accept that "because he's a robot"?

When Medic really started screwing with things, this definitely became blurrier, but after his "death," it looked like he was, again, conflicted about what he wanted to do, and in this episode, we even saw a little of that with how he defended Heart. Prior to it, he was sticking to himself and trying to sort things out, avoiding both Kiriko and Heart - clear signs of a conflicted character.

The fact that he can just turn around after everything we'd witnessed to now, regardless of whether or not it makes sense or whether or not it's "his story," is just poor writing. If all of that early in was to simply establish that Chase was an "honorable" Roidmude or to foreshadow a little who he was, they didn't need to make him so invested. If this is all simply an issue of being able to cheat character development by having a character you can freely change at will, then him taking issue with his reprogramming and him even being considered a character in the first place doesn't really make sense. Chase not being conflicted about this proves he doesn't have agency. Because what is he doing now? No different than what he's done before. All he's done is, at best, get reset back to his original programming, even if not literally.

I suppose in that respect, you are right that it's not his story, because he's essentially just a walking plot device at this point.

I'm not saying I have a problem with this being how he ends up, but for him to just end up hear without any contemplation or issues about it, it really does feel like it's just something they rushed to start selling his new weapon on time. If they'd given it maybe one more episode for him to decide and come to terms with it, maybe that would be something else, but for him to go from the character he was in the start of this episode to the one in the end with what little meat there really was in-between is just... disappointing, really.