After Drive, I hope for a good writer again. I don't know why Drive went back to the format with W - Wizard after Gaim? Where they really unhappy with Gaim?

It seems like the reason was Toei saw that the serialized format wasn't working well so they decided to return on the two part arc format

I'm trying to figure out how they'd do that theme. Different scarves that each gave the Rider a new ability? Seems difficult to turn into a collectable. Maybe badges?
I wonder if Toei will get someone new as a writer? I think Chiaki J. Konaka (Digimon Tamers, Ultraman Gaia) would be a cool choice to write a Rider show.
I've been saying for ages how Toei's toku needs some new blood in the creative teams. Then Ninninger hired a writer who was a relative newbie, and the writing is one of that show's weaker points. :redface2: Egg on my face.
http://akkinews.net/archives/104817 If I understand this right, there's a rumoured image of the trademark "Kamen Rider Layered" being registered, but the poster said it isn't showing up in the database and could be fake. (I hope it is, there's way too many filthy jokes you could get out of that one ...)
I can just imagine it. A Rider who can perform numerous cast-offs until he reaches his basic suit, at which point the belt screams "RIDER NAKED!"
Not to mention Yonemura was (I believe) the or one of the head writers for Kabuto. Keep him away from Kamen Rider.
Yeah he was, though a third of the show was written by Inoue, who WILL steamroll whatever story elements he wants through, plus they had to adapt around some actor unavailability. I'm not saying I'm hankering for Yonemura to have another go, but I don't think Kabuto turned out exactly as he wanted either.
After Drive, I hope for a good writer again. I don't know why Drive went back to the format with W - Wizard after Gaim? Where they really unhappy with Gaim?
IIRC Urobuchi mentioned in an interview that he was offered the Gaim job during the summer before Wizard started. The basics of a series have to be locked in far in advance so that Bandai has enough lead time to get the toys ready. They were probably making decisions about what Drive would be like without yet knowing how Gaim performed. Drive's return to the "standard" Rider format suggests that they weren't expecting Gaim to be a massive hit. While it was popular with the adult fandom, Gaim didn't do as well as usual with the target audience (kids), so their assumptions weren't exactly wrong.

Gaim didn't do as well as usual with the target audience (kids), so their assumptions weren't exactly wrong.

Gaim had the best toy sales since OOO. Kids must like the show a lot for the toys to sell well. I doubt a lot of those sales came from older collectors.

Gaim had the best toy sales since OOO. Kids must like the show a lot for the toys to sell well. I doubt a lot of those sales came from older collectors.

It had ratings similar to Wizard's though. The toy sales increase don't reflect a ratings increase, so the kids must've not been tuning in.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
At least Drive's been a little more flexible with it this time around: we've had a few one-shot episodes, and three Riders instead of just two

It had ratings similar to Wizard's though. The toy sales increase don't reflect a ratings increase, so the kids must've not been tuning in.

Could be that only kids are watching while older fans are not watching it. I don't think their parents or guardians are watching the shows with them neither. The amount of kids watching these shows are smaller compare to we had in the past during the 80's, 90's and early-mid 2000's. Going from what I've been told that most older Kamen Rider fans and Sentai fans don't care for the recent Rider and Sentai shows. Japan has fanboy purist too just like how we do in America.

I also remember that Toei said that ratings are a afterthought to them and they care more about merchandise sales more.

I think that the kids didn't like Gaim's serious tone overall. You could say that the kids didn't like the dark plots that Gaim had

If kids didn't like the show then they won't have bought the toys and other merchandise for the show. I highly doubt the only people who bought Gaim stuff was the older fans and western fans importing the stuff overseas.

R

raden238

I think its along the lines that kids didn't understand the story of Gaim. Its complicated so they don't tune in.

Shyni
What about Chiaki J. Konaka (Digimon Tamers, Ultraman Gaia) or Shoji Yonemura (Kamen Rider Kabuto, Parasyte) as the main writers for the show?

Konaka seems like he's been rather inactive these days. His Despera series has been delayed forever now.