Just finished Kamen Rider Kiva. Let's have Comment time

sgtkira

Super Kamen Sentai Rider
As I said, I just finished Kiva. And I loved it ^^ So, let's talk about it. I'll mention a few things first

1. Hated. Wataru in the first episode. They show him very reserved and quiet, and then when he becomes Kiva he kicks total ass with no problem. Now I can kind of understand the whole "becoming someone else when putting on the mask", but still, that's a little weird.

2. Loved. Wataru's growth, especially after killing King. I loved it because I think it's better then having an "established tough guy"

3. Hated. Kengo at the end, his turn was something that was good only because it was a cool twist. The problem in my opinion with him is that once Nago got IXA again, he just faded for those few eps, now I understand that he can't kill anyone anymore, but he was SO important, and then just died :P

4. Hated...slightly. IXA itself. I like the whole "government sponsered Rider" thing, but SO many people got to use it. Even with Dark Kiva at the end (although it ended up killing Otoya). It takes the mysticism out of being a hero when EVERYONE can use it.

5. Hated. Yuri and Megumi in the movie. I hate to use "sexism", but I do have to ask, why would Yuri and Megumi, two perfectly healthy people, give IXA to two guys who have gotten the crap kicked out of them, while the girls could have killed the monster.

6. Hated. Yuri and Megumi in the show. They never killed any monster :( They were given those weapons, but they're doing **** :/

7. Hated. Nago around the end. I hated that they randomly made him so weak for Kengo, then he becomes cool and strong again :/ confuses me a little.

8. Hated/Loved. The end. I loved that it just didn't end, and that it could actually "continue", but the way it was pulled off, it makes me want more :disappoin GIVE IT THE DEN-O TREATMENT! AT LEAST GIVE IT ONE MORE MOVIE!! >:(

And that's all. Let's all discuss ^^

EDIT: NEW STUFF I REMEMBERED

9. Meh. I forgot that the Emperor Form was there so early on, so yeah, it was kind of a waste :/

10. Hate/Loved. The Zanbat sword. While being an awesome sword that can destroy any Fangire, having the need to "charge it up" before hand is COMPLETELY useless :/

11. Loved. How every episode had a connection where it didn't seem like filler. Like how, old Rider/Sentai had eps that have NOTHING to do with the storyline, and while KIva had those eps, they hid them really well ^^

12. Hate. The fact that something will be brought up, and not spoken about or truly "tackled", if you will, for many eps down the line. Now, this isn't something intentional, like Jirou and the rest of the guys becoming power-ups, since I know that's what finales are for :P I'm referring to Mio stuff, or things of that nature. Same thing happened in Den-O with Yuuto.

13. Loved. Time travel. Awkward and irrevelant to the overall series, yes, but I love whenever people time travel :P

14. Meh. Not explaning the origin of Fangires, and appearently Fangire powers can be "given" and "taken away" by surgery of some kind :P Now, I understand that pretty much NO ONE explains the origin of Vampries in their respective show/movie/book (unless of course you're Anne Rice) but it still seems pretty random that the Fangires are here, and apparently all they want to do is kill them :P
 
Last edited:
Kiva was the 2nd Heisei Rider series I finished...and in a fight...Megumi and Yuri were pretty much useless.

IXA is one of my favrioute Heisei riders, but it just sucks he's only as powerful as the story will allow him too be. And I thought Kiva's second half wasn't as good as the first, especially the last three episodes but it did have a lot of awesome moments and fights though.

I liked Kiva's time traveling concept, and it would've been nice to see how the 1988 side really resolved without Wataru being there.


And I liked it better when Nago was a button-crazed asshole.
 
Kivas was the last rider series i watched. IMO it was pretty god.

I loved Nago, IXA was awesome, but he could have had a better role in the story.

Hated Wataru. just hated his depressions and having to see him taking a bath so many times. Loved Kiva's fighting style but I think Emperor form appeared in the series too early, it didnt feel like a real power up sometimes.

At the beginning of the series i liked more the 80's part than the present day part of the series, but halfway it changed and we had less and less story going on at the past. it sucked.

Loved Jiro, Maya and Otoya. I have mixed feelings about Mio and Taiga. Bishop was great, Shizuka was useless. Shima confused the hell out of me.

Visually, the series is stunning! the effects look great, the arm monsters designs and concepts are very good, the rider designs were good, but could have been better.

The music was excellent in this one. One of my favourite OST along Faiz and Ryuki.
 
I'm okay with Wataru (except his bath scene, damn... why not Megumi/Yuri/Mio/Maya who do that?). I like his character growth, from an emo anti-social dude into a better person. :thumbs:

Nago = Tsurugi V.2 ("from badass, to dumbass"), at least his comeback as IXA is awesome! :buttrock:

Otoya is AWESOMENESS, with his dance. :laugh:
 
^ Maybe if he hadn't been an over-the-top jerk who punches anyone who looks at him funny, it would have been. We get it, he has a grudge against Nago. But that could easily have been conveyed with just acting cold toward him. How Shima just lets him beat on Nago was also really annoying.

I've found that I enjoyed Kiva (especially the arc from 29-43) more when it was on the air than after it completed its run. After I rewatched the show a second time I didn't miss it at all, like I did shows such as Agito. A good story overall, but it really wasted the horror motif and many of the characters.

I get the feeling Inoue was originally going for a more Black-style show (particularly in the second half) but someone got to him and made him write that awful time-traveling adventure, "make Taiga a good guy even though it makes no sense" finale instead.
 
I just recently rewatched the series and I've got to say that...

1) Kengo's entrance and exit as IXA was the most pointless plot in the entire series. furthermore, his arm was already healed when he returned, so there's no reason he wouldn't go back to playing rock.

2) how the hell Shima does his job? he simply fires his men when he/she fails just ONE mission and he can only hangs out in his fucking work-out place.

3) I do agree with Yuri/Megumi being downright useless in battle, letting them use IXA was also kinda pointless.

4) whenever I see Mio acting so hesitant and hopeless, I just wanna shoot her and she just gives Maya a bad name.

5) Shizuka is yet another pointless character, sigh.

6) Otoya is a better character than Wataru.

overall, Kiva is my first ever favourite Rider series but too bad, Decade and W really made me turn away from attempting to watch KR annually.
 
This is why people probably shouldn't try to dive into KR with the most recent shows. I always say one should start with the first three or even five shows of this decade.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top